What's new

Dishwasher troubleshooting

Poopyface

Member Number
GE QuietPower 5. Doesn't seem to do anything but make dishwashing noises. No water coming in. It doesn't seems to run the cycle but releases detergent and thats about it. I replaced the inlet valve since that failed before but did nothing.

What are the common failing parts on these older dishwashers?

20201126_202336.jpg

20201126_202342.jpg

Last edited:
The heating element burnt up on mine (LG) I use to have dishwashers last forever...Nowadays not so much. Did you test the inlet valve for function or are you just assuming its ok? Did you test to see if it gets voltage? Did you try peeing on it?

The heating element burnt up on mine (LG) I use to have dishwashers last forever...Nowadays not so much. Did you test the inlet valve for function or are you just assuming its ok? Did you test to see if it gets voltage? Did you try peeing on it?

Voltage is good. Just installed a new valve that I had laying around and no change.

Waiting for bladder to fill up for the pee test.

Does it have a flood float valve? Sometimes looks sorta like a salt shaker sized thing on the floor of the washer. Maybe the internal float got jammed and it thinks its full?

Does it have a flood float valve? Sometimes looks sorta like a salt shaker sized thing on the floor of the washer. Maybe the internal float got jammed and it thinks its full?

I'll second the anti flood valve, sometimes in the machine sometimes on the supply. For whatever reason those things will just for no reason.

Does it have a flood float valve?

I'll second the anti flood valve, sometimes in the machine sometimes on the supply. For whatever reason those things will just for no reason.

He said voltage is good. Flood valve would remove said voltage. :rolleyes: This tells me he put a meter on the leads had voltage and the valve still don't open. He didn't tell me he checked the valve for function (you know, applying power to it and seeing if it opens...if pwr is good um...dursky) This tells me he really is a poopyface. I have to believe he is a TROLL. Fire up the pitchforks!!

Does it have a flood switch? Is that part of your inlet valve? On my GE slate dishwasher the flood switch went out and wasn’t allowing it to fill. It’s a fairly simple replacement.

I use to have dishwashers last forever...Nowadays not so much.

Bosch. Spend once then enjoy never fucking with it again (usually). When this POS samsung finally breaks in an expensive manner, I'll be going back with another Bosch.

The only thing I have never fixed is a dishwasher. Replaced the wheels on lower rack, arms, etc. But if that mofo goes wonky, it's GONE!

I've fixed everything else: Furnace, stove, well pump, internal water treatment, clothes washer, dryer, even the fucking fridge (circuit board, two fan motors).

Post edit: I should say that my GE stainless steel expensive POS that my wife insisted on has served me for 14 years so far.

Last edited:
Bosch. Spend once then enjoy never fucking with it again (usually).

I did. So far so good. I didn't get the high end bosch though. The GE I bought was around a grand. The basket wheels started breaking in year two. With this Bosch, to actually dry dishes it has to be programed to a higher setting. I assume that's to meet the energy star requirements. :confused: and every cycle a few more buttons need to be pressed for extra drying.

I had some dishwasher troubles a few years ago.

Look to see if there's a float on the side of the unit, not just the overflow unit at the bottom. The side float may tell the inlet water system to stop filling. Dirty water or alge build up can cause these floats to become sticky.

check for voltage at the inlet valve.
There may also be a screen somewhere up stream from there that is clogged. I have to take mine out and soak it in acid every other year because the minerals clog the screen up.
another common culprit is the door switch. bypass it with the door open so you can see what it's doing in there.

check for voltage at the inlet valve.
There may also be a screen somewhere up stream from there that is clogged. I have to take mine out and soak it in acid every other year because the minerals clog the screen up.
another common culprit is the door switch. bypass it with the door open so you can see what it's doing in there.

Thanks for the idea. I bypassed the door switch and watched. It poured water in from the side fill hole for about 10 seconds and then a motor started running but nothing happened. Two min later water pours in again for about a good minute and fills it with about an inch of water. Again a motor kicks on but nothing happens for about 5 min and water then drains out. Thats as far as I got.

I am taking a guess that the pump is not pumping water up.

Going off memory here-

1-use the "sterilize" setting

2- open the door 30 minutes or so after its finished, and leave it cracked for a while

They'll be powder dry

That's exactly what it takes. We usually only run it last thing in the evening so no one is up to open the door when it's time.

Thanks for the idea. I bypassed the door switch and watched. It poured water in from the side fill hole for about 10 seconds and then a motor started running but nothing happened. Two min later water pours in again for about a good minute and fills it with about an inch of water. Again a motor kicks on but nothing happens for about 5 min and water then drains out. Thats as far as I got.

I am taking a guess that the pump is not pumping water up.

yep.

it should fill to about an inch or so below the heating element in the bottom.
sounds like the impeller has failed.

last time I priced one for a dishwasher the cost was comparable to a new unit.

yep.

it should fill to about an inch or so below the heating element in the bottom.
sounds like the impeller has failed.

last time I priced one for a dishwasher the cost was comparable to a new unit.

They have used units on ebay for 30 bucks. Guaranteed to work and seller has a perfect reputation. I may try that.

They have used units on ebay for 30 bucks. Guaranteed to work and seller has a perfect reputation. I may try that.

that might be the ticket.
I'm not sure about that one, but on the whirlpool ones it's a large job, basically the pump unit is the bottom of the machine.

Top Back Refresh