What's new

Diagnose this Equilizer

Member Number
Loc
Abitibi
Buddy just bought a trailer. Figured everybody like pics and arguing, so here's your chance.

Tells me the equalizer is touching frame rail all the time no matter what (loaded/not loaded....tongue low/tongue high).

I'll I've got is these two pics for now since he's gone in the bush with the trailer.

Any guesses? I know the previous owner, and he did some work on the trailer, and had trouble getting the correct length slipper springs. From the pics I'm pretty sure both axles are spring over.

It's an easy hauler. They mount the spring hardware to a bent plate (similar to angle iron) and you can move it fore/aft to adjust axle center, but I don't think that would help.
From the extra holes in the rear of the equalizer, looks like they tried moving the bolt down to help, and maybe that will be the answer----->weld more metal to lower that rear spring eye. Will be nice if it works, as it's easy and cheap and doesn't require rebuild. I think the front of the equalizer also has a plate welded in it that the slipper part rubs on. If I remove that, the slipper will rub on the upper part of the equalizer and might sit more level.

321980977_888969765467518_3564066019668084268_n.jpg
321985463_875077633695234_4406755336207310324_n.jpg

The problem is you haven't cut it all out and replaced with a camelback suspension like real trailers have. :flipoff2:

Just one side like that?

If you can move the equalizer with a prybar then the spring seat on the rear axle, or maybe the front needs to be moved. It is bent, rusted or slipped.

Any guesses? I know the previous owner, and he did some work on the trailer, and had trouble getting the correct length slipper springs. From the pics I'm pretty sure both axles are spring over.

It's an easy hauler. They mount the spring hardware to a bent plate (similar to angle iron) and you can move it fore/aft to adjust axle center, but I don't think that would help.
From the extra holes in the rear of the equalizer, looks like they tried moving the bolt down to help, and maybe that will be the answer----->weld more metal to lower that rear spring eye. Will be nice if it works, as it's easy and cheap and doesn't require rebuild. I think the front of the equalizer also has a plate welded in it that the slipper part rubs on. If I remove that, the slipper will rub on the upper part of the equalizer and might sit more level.

321980977_888969765467518_3564066019668084268_n.jpg

based on the highlighted and what I think is a bent spring (right side of picture), I'd guess the springs are too long?

based on the highlighted and what I think is a bent spring (right side of picture), I'd guess the springs are too long?
Not saying your are wrong, just trying to learn something here.

Why or how could a longer spring make this happen?

Or maybe it is not a length but an arch issue?

Is the equalizer free to rotate? I don't see any marks or wear to indicate any movement. If it's pinched and/or stuck in place, that's the first thing to address.

Not saying your are wrong, just trying to learn something here.

Why or how could a longer spring make this happen?

Or maybe it is not a length but an arch issue?
I'm assuming that the bolt on the equalizer on the right side of the picture is for a spring eye. If that's incorrect (and it's just slipper retainer) then my hypothesis is FOS and should be ignored.

But since the equalizer moved in an arch, it will essentially push the axles outward as it moves... in theory, if the spring is too long, it could prevent the equalizer from moving and force it into a position. I suspect it could also happen w/ too short/too arched springs?

The more I look at it, the more I doubt my hypothesis

I'm assuming that the bolt on the equalizer on the right side of the picture is for a spring eye. If that's incorrect (and it's just slipper retainer) then my hypothesis is FOS and should be ignored.

But since the equalizer moved in an arch, it will essentially push the axles outward as it moves... in theory, if the spring is too long, it could prevent the equalizer from moving and force it into a position. I suspect it could also happen w/ too short/too arched springs?

The more I look at it, the more I doubt my hypothesis
I think that bolt is the retainer for the slipper end. Inside the equalizer there should be an arched piece of metal (like a smile) that the slipper rides on. That's the piece of metal I think I'm going to remove, then move that retainer bolt up.

Why would you run an equalizer with slipper springs to begin with? My trailer has slippers, front eyes are through bolted, rear of the springs ride on a bolt through the mount.

Why would you run an equalizer with slipper springs to begin with? My trailer has slippers, front eyes are through bolted, rear of the springs ride on a bolt through the mount.
Why wouldn't you run an equalizer? They help keep the load on the axles equal over uneven terrain and compensate for different hitch heights.

Is your trailer a tandem axle? If it is and you don't have equalizers, then your axles are going through hell when you drive over bumps and dips, just like torsion axle trailers. Makes using the proper height hitch that much more important.

You run the equalizer on the eye end of the slipper so i equalizes shit. This is standard practice. Look at any big old tag trailer like you see behind a 10-wheel dump. It's set up this way.

You run the equalizer on the eye end of the slipper so i equalizes shit. This is standard practice. Look at any big old tag trailer like you see behind a 10-wheel dump. It's set up this way.
I'm under multiple axle trailers daily. Some with equalizers, some without, none have slipper springs.
Why wouldn't you run an equalizer? They help keep the load on the axles equal over uneven terrain and compensate for different hitch heights.

Is your trailer a tandem axle? If it is and you don't have equalizers, then your axles are going through hell when you drive over bumps and dips, just like torsion axle trailers. Makes using the proper height hitch that much more important.
Both trailers are tandem axle. I can't say I remember what's underneath the enclosed, but the deck-over is slippers mounted like I described above. If the equalizer gets stuck, it's because the mount spacing is incorrect for the springs.

Top Back Refresh