What's new

Dewalt DW735 planer Frankenmod

Gatorgrizz27

Member Number
I own a small finish carpentry company, we don’t use a planer that much and I was space limited at my old shop, so I ended up buying a Dewalt DW735 to replace the Ridgid one I burnt up after ~ 5 years of use. More than a few people have claimed it is a badass machine for a bench top unit, I am not impressed. I spent $600 on the first one plus another $500 for the Shelix spiral cutter head everyone raved about.

I burnt up the first one within 2 projects, figured I got a bad unit, so I bought another one, and haven’t had time to swap the head over yet. It still sucks and was tripping the overload breaker on the machine taking 1/64” pass off of 11” wide white pine :shaking: It is on a dedicated 20A circuit with a 10’ 10 gauge cord.

Now that I have more space I’ll eventually be buying a “proper” machine, but I just bought a CNC and need to upgrade my jointer to a $3,500 unit next. The plan is to ditch the crappy 15A universal motor and replace it with a 3-5hp induction motor mounted on top of the unit.

The cutter head is driven by a belt and the feed rollers are driven by a gearbox, so the feed/cutting ratio should remain the same regardless of the cutter head RPM. I had two different 2hp motors sitting around, but they are 1750 RPM so I’d have to find a larger pulley which has been challenging, and I’m not sure 2hp is quite enough to be substantially better.

Looking on eBay, you can get a 3 or 5hp “air compressor motor” for about $150, rotation should be the right way.

The factory pulley in the cutter head is a 5/8” shaft (same as the motor) and has a 9 rib belt that is what I believe to be called a poly-v. I found a Continental belt that should be long enough and claims to be rated for 25 hp :eek: and my thought is to buy another OEM drive pulley so if there is any slight pitch difference hopefully the belt will “wear in” to the pulleys.

At a 1:1 ratio with a 3450 rpm motor, the speed would be a little bit slower than stock, but that’s not a huge deal if I don’t have to make 50 passes.

The factory switch is rated for 250v and is a double disconnect, the motors I’m looking at have a thermal overload switch built into them, so I could just bypass the factory circuit breaker.

So far I have not been able to find anyone who has done something similar, but it seems easy enough. Obviously I need to fab a motor mounting bracket, but the factory handle locations should be plenty solid to attach it to, and the motors have slotted bases for belt tensioning.

One of my employees pointed out we may overload the cutter head bearings, but I think the crappy OEM motor is so much of a limiting factor that it’s not a big issue. The feed rollers can slip on the stock, so I don’t think I’ll break the gearbox either.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
That sucks, I had great luck with mine. I wore out the feed rollers and bearing blocks but never had any other problems.

not my experience either. my neighbor and i have put his thru the wringer a couple times. me mostly taking 1x12 pine down to 1/2", but he does cherry and black walnut.
what is the oem rpm? maybe those universal motors only sound fast. why not 1.5:1 or 2:1 final drive?

Yeah, maybe you have a defective unit? I've got a 734 and buddy has a 735 we've both used the hell out of...not one problem.

I've not exactly been the nicest to mine, but has just kept on going.

Yep, keep hearing they are badass but like I said I killed one with minimal work and the second one can barely take a pass off without tripping the circuit breaker.

At $700 it sucks to keep throwing good money after bad, and swapping this Shelix cutter head into a new unit is a few hour job, I don’t have any free time.

OEM universal motor RPM is said to be 20k, it has a substantially smaller drive pulley than the cutter head pulley. It looks like the ideal drive speed on most other planer heads is around 5k RPM, if I can find a slightly larger pulley for the motor I’m using I will.

I have that belt on order, plan is to see if it matches the grooves on the OEM cutter head pulley or if I’ve got to concert everything over.

I abused the smaller version with a ton of very badly sawn cypress with no issues, other than the sand taking its toll on the blade.

Have you checked the circuit its running on. The overload tripping sound like it could be getting undervolted or some other issue. That would explain why swapping machine didnt fix it.

I abused the smaller version with a ton of very badly sawn cypress with no issues, other than the sand taking its toll on the blade.

Have you checked the circuit its running on. The overload tripping sound like it could be getting undervolted or some other issue. That would explain why swapping machine didnt fix it.

First one burned up at my old shop, running off a dedicated 20A circuit with 12 gauge Romex.

Second one is substantially underpowered at my new shop, same wiring setup. Has never tripped the breaker on the panel, and none of my other equipment has had issues at either shop, aside from my old dust collector with a squeaky bearing occasionally tripping a 20A breaker.

A name brand motor with the same hp rating will probably whoop the little universal motors butt. Power ratings on appliances are based on locked rotor amp draw instead of usable power. I think im close on that anyway, like how can my shop vac make 5hp? Itd have to draw 32 amps to do that!

I have worked through 200 ish 1”x11” rough sawn yellow pine. Air dried for a 8 ish months.
Once I take off the uneven and get down to a full 11” cut I have to reduce the cut depth to 1/32” and on slow feed rate. If I try anything deeper it will trip the breaker. I have put on a shelix spiral and upgraded the thermal breaker to a 20 amp. The shelix spiral is worth it but didn’t help with the 1/32 cut.
Is there a trick to cut down on the amount of pine resin that builds up on the cutter?

I have never used the shelix spiral cutter, but I watched a YouTube video about the spiral cutter in the DeWalt planer. The consensus was the DeWalt planer doesn't have enough power to run a helix head

I have not had any problems with my DeWalt planer. Even with a 50'+ cord.

I haven’t made much progress on this conversion, I found the correct belt that is long enough and bought another one of the planer drive pulleys that appeared to be 5/8” bore from a tape measure, turns out it’s a slightly larger metric size so it was loose on the motor shaft. I ordered some brass shim stock and got it fitted on there, but hadn’t had time to build the motor mounting plate.

I‘d upgraded our jointer to the Powermatic PJ882HH which I’ve been relatively happy with. Most of their equipment was 10% off for Black Friday, so I ordered the PM15HH 15” planer, should have it in this week. You can feel the $8k for the pair of them though…

We haven’t burned up the second Dewalt planer yet but it dulls knives so quickly it’s stupid, we don’t get a week out of it before they are leaving grooves, that’s probably 2-3 hours run time, and without hitting any dirt or metal.

I also picked up a 5hp single phase Model 66 table saw over 4th of July, it rips 8/4 maple like it’s plywood :eek:

I also picked up a 5hp single phase Model 66 table saw over 4th of July, it rips 8/4 maple like it’s plywood :eek:
that sounds awesome :smokin:

on the planer, OEM blades? re-sharpened? Could they be getting too hot when sharpening and gotten soft?

I've only used mine a little bit compared to my old DW734, but it seems like way more machine so far. Bought it, and I've only had about 20 board feet worth of projects to run through it since:homer:

Top Back Refresh