What's new

Detroit vs Grizzly? Hard to say no to savings... but are they durable?

I will say, my experience with Toyotas and driving to the trail, grizzlies have a softer engagement.

I have to try to get it to act up and bang or chirp the tires. The Detroit you always knew you had a locker. I also have a pile of busted detroits at my shop, but the grizzlies that replaced them have held up. Lunchboxes don’t cut it for 8” stuff so I always point customers to grizzlies when talking about mechanical lockers

I will say, my experience with Toyotas and driving to the trail, grizzlies have a softer engagement.

I have to try to get it to act up and bang or chirp the tires. The Detroit you always knew you had a locker. I also have a pile of busted detroits at my shop, but the grizzlies that replaced them have held up. Lunchboxes don’t cut it for 8” stuff so I always point customers to grizzlies when talking about mechanical lockers

I broke a few other parts in my FJ80 front end without hurting the spartan. For the rear, or if doing a regear anyway, I agree, just go grizzly.

That's interesting. I friggen hated how the lunchbox would engage around corners in the rear of my Scout with it in the Dana 44 behind the T19. Quickly swapped it to the front and put a trutrac in the rear cause I got it for $200.

My thoughts on lockers (which may be wrong in specifics but I believe are generally correct):
If you have a weak carrier design a full carrier locker is the way to go.
If you have a stronger carrier design there's nothing wrong with a lunchbox locker

Both points assume power levels within a reasonable limits (running a 600hp BB in front of a stock carrier D60 or an LS in front of an 8" Toy/Ford8.8)

I'm sure IBB will find holes in this logic, but it's the direction I go.

If you are running KOH or rock bouncing none of this applies, nach.

My thoughts on lockers (which may be wrong in specifics but I believe are generally correct):
If you have a weak carrier design a full carrier locker is the way to go.
If you have a stronger carrier design there's nothing wrong with a lunchbox locker

Both points assume power levels within a reasonable limits (running a 600hp BB in front of a stock carrier D60 or an LS in front of an 8" Toy/Ford8.8)

I'm sure IBB will find holes in this logic, but it's the direction I go.

If you are running KOH or rock bouncing none of this applies, nach.
Fun fact, my Yukon rep told me that their 40 spline 14B grizzlies are literally factory Gm carriers with the journals machined because they are so strong already, there’s no need for a chromoly case like Dana axles

They both do and work the same way by releasing and ratcheting no?

I could be wrong, as I've never pulled a grizzly apart, but I believe they are bit different by design. Sure, they are both auto lockers though.

I've driven a few rigs with out locker rears, and I definitely am not a huge fan of them. Although I think you can get used to them with driving style.

Just driving it a few times, I'm not impressed. It does disengage near well as my Spartans or the grizzly I had since. Would not go Detroit again. Not to mention the issues with parts mentioned.
I was much more impressed with my Spartan than my Aussie when it came to unlocking.

I have both Grizzly and Detroit lockers in 9:'s and other axles too. I really can't tell the difference between the two.
I have beefs with Randy from back in the day, but it's over now, he has decent customer service and I can actually talk to a human. Try that with Eaton.

Your as strong as your carrier pin, is what I've found with lunchbox lockers. Imo I'd stay away from those. Ive found all of them to be fairly shitty over the years. Detroits don't like axles breaking in them. I've had a couple grizzly fail with broken axles. I have one thats broken 4 300m shafts in it and still living. I'd recommend grizzly because of that. If you found a screaming deal on Detroit I wouldn't say no to that either.

Top Back Refresh