What's new

Detroit vs Grizzly? Hard to say no to savings... but are they durable?

D_JEEPER

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue
Member Number
Figured I would start the 2024 version of the 'which locker' comparison.

Im going to be putting guts in my 78/79 F250 axles in the TJ and possibly one in the front of my CJ.....and am considering either Detroits or Grizzlys. Dont care about 'muh selectable locker'. :grinpimp:

Pros/cons? I know the Detroit getting nuked on an axle snap has been an issue before.

Personally I can’t stand Eaton. If you break parts, they tell you to buy a new unit.

I personally haven’t seen much more success on grizzly’s holding up compared to detroits but atleast you can get on the phone with someone at Yukon.

All Dana axles. TJ: 78/79 F250 HPD44 front/ 30spl D60 rear, CJ: Waggy D44 front

I would never buy another Eaton product by choice. I have been around and driven both and they are pretty much the same thing. The Grizzy locker supposedly has design improvements to be less susceptable to breaking when a shaft goes but I hear they can still break in that situation.

The big difference as 06H3 pointed out, is that Eaton quit selling service parts a couple of years ago, so if you break it, the locker is scrap instead of it being a $200 repair :shaking:

I would go Grizzly over Detroit unless you can get the Detroit cheap enough you won't feel bad about scrapping it if it breaks.

Last edited:
Any reason not to just go lunchbox? If you’re open carriers are the right break for the gear ratio you want I’d suggest going with a Torq locker. IMO , these are stronger than the guts of a Detroit.

I have a lunchbox in the front of the CJ now but it is a numerically low carrier. Going to 4.56 would require thick gears but I was considering everything else in the driveline (cammed TBI 360, T176, D300 4:1, D44s with alloy shafts, detroit in the rear) is beefy and the carrier would be kind of a fuse with that lunchbox.

I went detroit in my front 60 since when I bought there was a guy I knew who was having problems with his grizzly not spinning one side. Even being a dealer for yukon at his shop, yukon was jerking him around on warranty.

Just driving it a few times, I'm not impressed. It does disengage near well as my Spartans or the grizzly I had since. Would not go Detroit again. Not to mention the issues with parts mentioned.

I have a lunchbox in the front of the CJ now but it is a numerically low carrier. Going to 4.56 would require thick gears but I was considering everything else in the driveline (cammed TBI 360, T176, D300 4:1, D44s with alloy shafts, detroit in the rear) is beefy and the carrier would be kind of a fuse with that lunchbox.
No matter what brand of shafts you use, your shafts are still going to be the weak point.

Any reason not to just go lunchbox? If you’re open carriers are the right break for the gear ratio you want I’d suggest going with a Torq locker. IMO , these are stronger than the guts of a Detroit.

This is what I decided to do after asking here about the breakage of Grizzlies when an axle lets go. Went Spartan in a new open carrier for the deeper ratio on my front 60. It was only a bit cheaper that way and I think the conclusion was that Grizzlies don't break as often as we might think when a shaft lets go, but it does happen. There seemed to be fewer instances of lunchbox lockers breaking when a shaft let go anecdotally here though...in fact, I don't think anyone reported that or knowing any lunchbox ones that had...mainly just having to replace the springs over time.

This is what I decided to do after asking here about the breakage of Grizzlies when an axle lets go. Went Spartan in a new open carrier for the deeper ratio on my front 60. It was only a bit cheaper that way and I think the conclusion was that Grizzlies don't break as often as we might think when a shaft lets go, but it does happen. There seemed to be fewer instances of lunchbox lockers breaking when a shaft let go anecdotally here though...in fact, I don't think anyone reported that or knowing any lunchbox ones that had...mainly just having to replace the springs over time.
I had a lock-rite break from an axle shaft snap. But the Torq master fixes the part of the lock-rite that breaks. I broke the pins that locate two halves together and that cracked the windows where the pins and springs go. The Torq locker basically has 4 big keyways instead of 4 little pins. Also the owners are cool AF!

I had a lock-rite break from an axle shaft snap. But the Torq master fixes the part of the lock-rite that breaks. I broke the pins that locate two halves together and that cracked the windows where the pins and springs go. The Torq locker basically has 4 big keyways instead of 4 little pins. Also the owners are cool AF!
Looking at the Aussie locker, it looks like they used pins, but MUCH larger ones than Lockright. The Spartans also use much larger pins than Lockright, but they look shorter than the Aussie.

I didn't even know the TorqMaster existed as something separate from the Aussie....just thought it was the company's name. Yeah, that big keyway looks like a much better, more simplified design. Wish I'd gone that route instead. Is it just as easy (or even easier) to install? I was shocked how easy the Spartan was.

Looking at the Aussie locker, it looks like they used pins, but MUCH larger ones than Lockright. The Spartans also use much larger pins than Lockright, but they look shorter than the Aussie.

I didn't even know the TorqMaster existed as something separate from the Aussie....just thought it was the company's name. Yeah, that big keyway looks like a much better, more simplified design. Wish I'd gone that route instead. Is it just as easy (or even easier) to install? I was shocked how easy the Spartan was.
Just as easy I’d say. If you ever see one of theirs booths setup at an off-road event go check it out. They will have one of each on display and the Torq one is a nice big chunk of metal. Well thought out and fits together better than a lockrite with no slop or slack.

Just as easy I’d say. If you ever see one of theirs booths setup at an off-road event go check it out. They will have one of each on display and the Torq one is a nice big chunk of metal. Well thought out and fits together better than a lockrite with no slop or slack.
Yeah....looks like a very nice piece of kit. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hmmm...may do the TorqMaster for the 14B I have: TORQ Locker TL-19035 Gm 14 Bolt Locker – Torq-Masters

instead of the Grizzly I had planned. Hell, I may even swap the Spartan for the front 60.

Too bad they don't have one for the Ford 9". They do the Aussie in a 9" with 31 splines though....

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Spartans, and the torq deals look even better.

The cost to function can't be beat imo. I'm on my 3rd on in a front axle. The best thing is ease of install and the fact that if you hate it you're not out a big chunk. A full carrier auto locker isn't that far off a selectable these days.

Only issue I've had was when doing gears and install kit, the carrier had spun bearings. Grabbed another carrier and it also had spun bearings :homer: at that point I felt bad for the diff guy and wished I'd had grabbed a grizzly.

Sent an email to Torq asking if they had any plans for a 35 spline Torq (or even an Aussie)....Cora's response:

HI Sean

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately we don't make either TORQ or Aussie in 35 spline 9" - there's just not enough requests for it.

It's kind of weird how the industry is moving towards fabricated 9/10" but has basically shit locker choices in selectables (only game in town now is the $2500 comp ARB or the regular one with limited engagement). Granted, a big part of that is likely the odd shape of the 9" carrier which I guess is inherently weak and that's likely why a lunchbox locker wouldn't be a great idea.

Sent an email to Torq asking if they had any plans for a 35 spline Torq (or even an Aussie)....Cora's response:

HI Sean

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately we don't make either TORQ or Aussie in 35 spline 9" - there's just not enough requests for it.

It's kind of weird how the industry is moving towards fabricated 9/10" but has basically shit locker choices in selectables (only game in town now is the $2500 comp ARB or the regular one with limited engagement). Granted, a big part of that is likely the odd shape of the 9" carrier which I guess is inherently weak and that's likely why a lunchbox locker wouldn't be a great idea.
I just built a brand new third using a gearworks locker. They are $1,000 instead of the 2500 we’ve been paying for the comp ARB’s. Pretty interesting inside, I’ve heard it referred to as a ratchet locker. I’d say that’s accurate. While it operates like a Detroit in theory, the parts look nothing like the inside of a 9” Detroit. I know people running the 40 spline version with 42’s and 900 hp and the locker is surviving.

I just built a brand new third using a gearworks locker. They are $1,000 instead of the 2500 we’ve been paying for the comp ARB’s. Pretty interesting inside, I’ve heard it referred to as a ratchet locker. I’d say that’s accurate. While it operates like a Detroit in theory, the parts look nothing like the inside of a 9” Detroit. I know people running the 40 spline version with 42’s and 900 hp and the locker is surviving.
And I'd go that route in a heartbeat on a non-steer 9". On these two rear axles, they'll be steering with individual cutting brakes, which is why I need a selectable (thinking of trying that European brand bebop mentioned instead of the comp ARB).

I wrote Torq mainly to see about a drag axle version I was thinking of putting in a 4Runner that sees street use....but now that you mention it, I should look at the GW option.

HI Sean

And just so you know, she answered that email from the passenger seat of their motor home on the road to KOH. She and Erik left New York a couple days ago to trek out to SoCal for hammers. How’s that for customer service.

And just so you know, she answered that email from the passenger seat of their motor home on the road to KOH. She and Erik left New York a couple days ago to trek out to SoCal for hammers. How’s that for customer service.
Pretty stellar, IMO. Like I said, I can see at least one of these in my future, if not 2 on the next build.

That 14 bolt Torq option looks slick! I've got an open carrier sitting on the bench for my friend and will likely tell him to get this. Over the Detroit. He's currently got a welded up open carrier.

That 14 bolt Torq option looks slick! I've got an open carrier sitting on the bench for my friend and will likely tell him to get this. Over the Detroit. He's currently got a welded up open carrier.
Yeah, interesting that it re-uses the drive side gears on the 14B

Yeah, interesting that it re-uses the drive side gears on the 14B

Thats how the suzuki lunch boxes have been forever. That's how they could make lock rites for $100 back in the day. :laughing:

Obviously about as opposite of an application as you can get, but they are so tiny, they see a lot of stress and I've never heard of an issue.

Thats how the suzuki lunch boxes have been forever. That's how they could make lock rites for $100 back in the day. :laughing:

Obviously about as opposite of an application as you can get, but they are so tiny, they see a lot of stress and I've never heard of an issue.
I’m pretty sure the stock zuki spiders are stronger than the lockrite parts. The only zuki side gears I’ve seen broken were welded ones which ruins the heat treat.

Cora and Erik are good people.

I’m pretty sure the stock zuki spiders are stronger than the lockrite parts. The only zuki side gears I’ve seen broken were welded ones which ruins the heat treat.

That was my point, I'm sure the 14b is the same way. I don't think keeping the stock side gears is going to make it weaker.

If you break those parts, it's probably time for an arb or spool.

If you can reuse the stock carrier, I've seen Spartans hold up to a lot of abuse.
Aussies clatter loud as fuck.
If you need to go with a new carrier, I've had good luck with both Detroit and Grizzly. Personally would go with which ever is cheaper.

That was my point, I'm sure the 14b is the same way. I don't think keeping the stock side gears is going to make it weaker.

If you break those parts, it's probably time for an arb or spool.
Didn't mean to imply it would make it weaker....just an interesting design that I like better than the standard lunchbox set up.

Top Back Refresh