What's new

Destin FL - what to do for 2 weeks?

white-rhino

Older than dirt
Member Number
Loc
Michigan but not in Detroit
Wife and I are gonna be there for a couple weeks in March. Not much on dinner out because she has severe food allergies and we're too old for the bar scene. What's good touristy stuff for a couple in their 60's?

Where are you staying? On beach or in town?

Destin Beach RV Park. They say it's 200 yards to the beach. I'm not much of a sit on the beach guy. Our biggest plans at the moment are to get out of Michigan, do nothing, enjoy reading a book under the awning while in shorts and t-shirts.

Air force armament museum, Boshamps seafood, snorkel beach, fishing charter, fish from shore or pier, its beautiful down there in march.

Dont like eating out, dont like the beach. A touristy place in FL is perfect!
:lmao: Yeah there is humor in there. I said I don't like sitting on the beach. Didn't say I don't enjoy the scenery from behind sunglasses. :cool2: :smokin: We eat out but because my wife has food allergies we don't go looking for fancy food joints. She's allergic to garlic and onion and one of those 2 things is in damn near every spice and sauce that exists.

Air force armament museum, Boshamps seafood, snorkel beach, fishing charter, fish from shore or pier, its beautiful down there in march.
Museum. Yep. Snorkeling sounds fun if the water is warm enough. We've had good luck finding small charter companies. Much more personable than the big companies.

She's allergic to garlic...
This is the wife? :smokin:
p11138_i_v9_aa.jpg

Check out the uss Alabama museum. It's worth the drive and plan on spending all day there.

Even if your not into that stuff you'll like it

I’m a fan of Ft. Walton, downtown area is clean and modern but was much less tourist trappy last time we were there. Lots of small businesses being run by owners that actually care. Nice change of pace from the typical deadbeat employees that would rather not have any customers so they can sit on their phones.

Its definitely worth driving down 30A, really scenic and relaxing if the traffic isn’t heavy. Hopefully you’re not hitting spring break week.

You can attempt to visit every surfside souvenir shop in the area. If you did 10 a day you might get it done in 2 weeks.

The same goes for waffle house. I doubt there are any garlic or onions in most of their stuff.

The Alabama in Mobile Bay is neat. so is the NAS museum in Pensacola. Both are a bit of a drive though.

There is a seaworld type place in Destin. I can't remember the name of it. It's worth killing a half day at.

It'd take ya about two and a half hours to drive west to see Fort Morgan at the mouth of Mobile Bay. Take the car ferry across and see Fort Gaines on the other side too.
If you go to the car ferry there is a plaque at a spot where a tree was hit by lightning many years ago. Me, my wife and another couple were there when it was struck. Lit up the whole area.
I know, cool story.

If you go to the car ferry there is a plaque at a spot where a tree was hit by lightning many years ago. Me, my wife and another couple were there when it was struck. Lit up the whole area.
I know, cool story.
Did you get hurt at all?

so what does she eat?
Steak, burger, fish, chicken - just cannot have any spices of any type unless she can confirm there is no garlic or onion in it.
Same goes for all beans, broccoli, carrots and all other veggies.
No Mexican, Italian, oriental, etc.

Bottom line, any chef "special secret sauces" are taboo. Catchup, many mustards and almost every prepackaged sauce has garlic and onion.

Interestingly enough, she makes some awesome sauces and because of that, she would rather eat at home. Since we will be there in our RV, it's easier to cook our own food.

Top Back Refresh