What's new

Desiccant / Ammo Dehumidifier options

budget76

Thread Killer
Member Number
Loc
Hartford, CT
Guns are all in the safe with disposable desiccant containers from the dollar store, swap them out every couple of months

I have a fair stockpile of ammo in surplus steel, and HF plastic ammo boxes. I don't shoot as much as I'd like, it's going to be around for many years. Started thinking about desiccant, my area gets humid in the summertime. some boxes are in the safe but most are not so a rod does me no good

what are you guys using for ammo cans, if anything? These are interesting but I'd like to find containers cheaper and buy a bulk jug of reusable silica instead of 7 pre-made containers. figure I'd get more quantity for roughly the same cost if I can find containers cheap. drawing a blank on what to repurpose that's the same concept as these flat metal ones
1707761962920.png
1707761982717.png

drawing a blank on what to repurpose that's the same concept as these flat metal ones
1707761962920.png

Altoids tins.

Other than that, I got nothing :flipoff2:

Honestly anything small like a pill bottle would work, hell I'd throw some desiccant into a zip lock and not seal it? Worth a shot

Altoids tins.

Other than that, I got nothing :flipoff2:

Honestly anything small like a pill bottle would work, hell I'd throw some desiccant into a zip lock and not seal it? Worth a shot
i was thinking salt shakers or things like that, but they aren't flat for ammo can size

easy to make something, but I'd rather order 20 from aliexpress for $6 than make them. Gotta believe those containers are sold for other stuff, just got to figure out what.

or do I not really even care about ammo desiccant inside sealed ammo boxes? I'm shooting stuff I bought 10 years ago, the stuff I bought recently probably will sit longer than that

i was thinking salt shakers or things like that, but they aren't flat for ammo can size

easy to make something, but I'd rather order 20 from aliexpress for $6 than make them. Gotta believe those containers are sold for other stuff, just got to figure out what.

or do I not really even care about ammo desiccant inside sealed ammo boxes? I'm shooting stuff I bought 10 years ago, the stuff I bought recently probably will sit longer than that
I threw a few loaded AK mags into a sealed ammo can several years ago. Must have done it in the summer cause I popped it open a few years ago and they are coated in rust. Luckily its AK shit, so I'll be fine in the WASR :flipoff2:

I would advocate for something to dry it. I have a shitty Stack On locker with ammo, and a couple 5 lb desiccant bags that came from work when a new machine came in. Haven't had an issue, although its far from sealed.

Just buy a half gallon of the orange beads from Dry & Dry and toss a handful in an old sock. Dry them out in the oven when they turn green.

Just buy a half gallon of the orange beads from Dry & Dry and toss a handful in an old sock. Dry them out in the oven when they turn green.
this is why I posted. I don't need fancy containers, just something to let it breath. Good idea

probably use an old white stocking or something you can see thru but sturdy enough it won't let the beads float around. Metal tins are fancy, but I need more than 7 so the price gets up there

something you can see thru but sturdy enough it won't let the beads float around.
I don't think you want to bundle it too tight, exposed surface area and all that. Buy cheese cloth from the grocery store or unfold some gauze from the first aid kit.

Steal some stockings from your old lady. Cut them into 4 or 5 sections. Tie ends shut.

For what it's worth, the active ingredient in those Damp-Rid tubs is Calcium Chloride with perfume. A 50lb bag of ice melt is cheap and a pound or so in a colander over a bucket kicks ass in damp areas. DO NOT spill it or dump the water on anything you care about!

For what it's worth, the active ingredient in those Damp-Rid tubs is Calcium Chloride with perfume. A 50lb bag of ice melt is cheap and a pound or so in a colander over a bucket kicks ass in damp areas. DO NOT spill it or dump the water on anything you care about!
'swhy they put that and mag chloride on dirt roads in the summer
sucks moisture outta the air to keep the dust down

but fuck the cars driving on it since it's all salt

No shit? Good to know

No shit? Good to know
My tool trailer had been parked from last April until last week. Both 5 gal setups had almost 3 gallons of water each and no rust on the mill or lathe:smokin: I think I had 4" of CC in the upper baskets.

I will probably make 2 more sets and use a little less CC in each. I can't access them to dump the water before a tractor goes to pick it up and the spillage would suck!

Top Back Refresh