What's new

Deer steak

Haggard-Beard

Fuckface
Member Number
Picked up some deer steaks from a buddy, and want to grill em up for tonight. We’ve had them before, I’ve just never cooked them myself. How do I not fuck them up? Marinate them for a few hours? Just olive oil, salt n pepper?

oilve oil ,salt ,pepper ,garlic chunks montreal steak spice. if you want to marinate. if your not marinating salt pepper garlic powder for a few hrs as a dry brine.
do not over cook.
sear it real hot and quick ,done.
did i mention do not overcook. anything past medium rare will feel like rubbery shoe leather.

We just cut the back strap into 1/2” slabs hit them with a tenderizer start frying some onions in a pan with lard in it toss the steaks in get them brown and call it a day.

Deer meat is not a fancy steak it’s just food lol. It’s a gamey lean cut of meat.

450-475 isn’t that hot in regards to cooking a proper steak . I prefer 550 plus when possible. Do it quick and don’t over season it Himalayan salt and fresh ground pepper maybe a little garlic imho

1” may be hard to deal with, plus deer steaks are tricky. Not exactly sure how to tell you how to do it, other than how others have mentioned.

Deer taste really depends on your location, ours feed on corn and green grass just like good midwest beef and have good taste, the ones that feed on acorns and pine needles will have a more 'gamey' taste.

HOT. FAST. Just don't burn em. For 1"ers I'd do cast iron, once you get the sear, cover the pan and throw it all in the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Theres no fat, too easy to make dry hockey pucks.

How did they turn out? :lmao:
They turned out good! I threw em in a bag with olive oil, salt n pepper, and some pub burger seasoning. Tossed em on the grill for a few minutes, did mine medium rare and hers was a bit smaller so it was closer to medium.
I know they’re not an excellent steak everyone :lmao: we never buy expensive steaks anyway so we both really liked it

Top Back Refresh