What's new

Deep Fryer vs Pot of Cooking Oil

In my mind a "Deep Fryer" has automatic control of the oil temperature. If the oil is too cold the food will be greasy, too hot and it will be undercooked inside or have off flavors from burnt oil.

If you maintain the proper temp on a pot of cooking oil they should produce the same product all things being equal.

Like fry daddy’s? The thing that didn’t have enough free space so it would foam over and make giant messes? I had one and hated it. Threw it in the landfill and I use a cast iron Dutch oven instead. I find it 1000 times more preferable to the electric mess maker.

edit: I got an air fry for Christmas, that thing is handy and far less messy.

Last edited:
Like fry daddy’s? The thing that didn’t have enough free space so it would foam over and make giant messes? I had one and hated it. Threw it in the landfill and I use a cast iron Dutch oven instead. I find it 1000 times more preferable to the electric mess maker.

edit: I got an air fry for Christmas, that thing is handy and far less messy.

Sounds like an infrared pyrometer would help a lot on manual maintaining proper temp, then?

Sounds like an infrared pyrometer would help a lot on manual maintaining proper temp, then?

It wouldn’t hurt.

I just use a cheap thermometer for Turkey fryers. The cast iron Dutch oven doesn’t hardly even lose temperature when you drop stuff in. You can fill a basket full of a pound of frozen tater tots and when you drop it in you may see 5° to 10° temp drop and it rebounds fast. My fry daddy temp would plummet and took forever to rebound. Some things just didn’t need reinvented.

Another vote cast iron dutch oven, as heavy as possible, even more better with a gas stove.
All civilian issued electric "deep fryers" are shit, period! Quisinart, Kitchenaids, insert brand name here, will all disappoint as much as the praised Fry Daddy, cuz its only good for 6 potato fries at a time.
Get a decent thermometer.
​​​​​​

Use an open pot. Make fish and chips once a week until you figure it out.

A proper fryer gets you temp control. This is less of an issue than it seems like because deep frying isn't that sensitive to over-temperature and if you're frying stuff for just your family in an open pot you're not going to be dumping in a huge mass of frozen fries all at once.

For personal cooking I've never used a non-commercial deep fryer. I've always just used a large cast iron skillet. When I deep fry it's either fish or pickle fries or blooming onion or something like that. I don't deep fry frozen fries or pre-breaded chicken since they both come out nice in the oven.

When I fry a lot of things (usually fish) I set it up like an assembly line, stick them in the pan on set intervals in order to keep temp more consistent.

Regardless of how much I'm cooking I use a thermometer to get the oil temp set initially to 50deg high (temp drops when you add stuff, duh) then pull the thermometer, turn the burner up a tiny bit and start cooking.

Last edited:
Replaced my convection oven with an air fryer, used only in the evening for my snacks, I am loving in turns out nice crispy wings in 10 minutes no splattered grease to clean up off the counter top. Still learning how to use it
Says it can do bacon in 8 minutes!

Picked up an air a 10qt air fryer, can easily do 5 lbs of wings at one time. About 15 minutes for cookin and saucin, clean up is like 43 seconds long lol. Plus i tell myself its healthy lol:smokin:

Is there any difference in cooking quality/flavor?

Or is it merely a difference of mass production vs occasional use?

Depends on what you are cooking. Deep fryer for fries and the like. Shallow pan fry for chicken that needs a bit of crust.

I dunno, shallow pans are messy, hard to control heat, depends on preference.
Chicken Strips, nothing fancy
Cut breasts into strips and season with your fave, I usually do Old Bay and Ceylon black pepper, cover and put in fridge for awhile
Prepare bowl with 1 beat to shit egg to 1 tbs water ratio
Prepare flat bowl with seasoned flour
Dredge through flour then egg then flour again
Let sit on rack for 1 cocktail while shit heats up to 170f
Dunk sumbitches in slowly with tongs
Letter rip fer about 5-7mins until 170f ish
IMG_20210227_174958.jpg

​​​​​​

I want to add that it also depends on the form of heat being used. IF using Gas then there is a higher risk for a grease fire if you put in too many frozen fries for instance, Or had the pot too full. Sure it can be easily prevented, but still it a bad bad thing if it happens. I try to fry outside if i can. I turn the gas off or very low when I pouring in. Then crank it back up. my 12" cast iron pan is my favorite because it allows the largest heating area.

Picked up an air a 10qt air fryer, can easily do 5 lbs of wings at one time. About 15 minutes for cookin and saucin, clean up is like 43 seconds long lol. Plus i tell myself its healthy lol:smokin:

I hate Air Fryers, just because they misrepresent what they are. IT AIN'T A FRYER.

market it as a Air Cooker, or convection oven with a turbo fan, and I'll buy it.

I hate Air Fryers, just because they misrepresent what they are. IT AIN'T A FRYER.

market it as a Air Cooker, or convection oven with a turbo fan, and I'll buy it.

I've been happy with my air fryer. Its super great if you buy pre made frozen stuff. If you like to cook from scratch it sure doesn't give you the crisp that deep frying does. Not that it isn't good, it just isn't as crisp. Corn dogs in the air fryer taste like the state fair.

I recently bought some hooters wing breading and have been using it in the air fryer. Wings are ok not great. Chicken breast tenders are ok not great.

Where it does excel is making home made french fries but there is a very small margin of time between soggy, crisp and fucked.

Top Back Refresh