What's new

decent fridge brand to buy?

V30crewcab

Member Number
Loc
TN
so my moms fridge has crapped out again. its been replaced twice in the last two years. I think its an lg. just looking to steer her towards something that might last this time?
I thought there was a thread on this, but I can't seem to find it.

I honestly think it's a crap shoot these days. I have a SxS Samsung that I bought in 2015, with only an icemaker, no wi-fi or other such silly shit. Has worked fine so far, but the GE I bought in 1998 still lives on in the garage of the house I sold. I doubt I'll get that kind of life out of the Sammy, but we'll see.

I've got a KitchenAid that's been around since 2003, and has never failed to deliver. I do clean the coils periodically, and change the water filter when needed; but that's about it.

I'll probably buy another KitchenAid next time....

In the last 10-15 years they all seem to be comparable, lasting 5-10 years before they shit themselves. The more fancy the more they break(thsee are tennet fridges so I'm sure they are not treated nicely). Ice makers in Samsung seem to be total piles of shit that last 2-3 years before they stop working.

I have a Thermador built in I hot used thats been a work horse for 15 years. Any if the built in brands seem to last, parents have a sub zero that is 30 years old and still ticking.

Old ones last new ones are shit. Next go around I’m going for a commercial stand up fridge and a commercial freezer. They’re a little more expensive and don’t look as pretty but they last a shit ton longer.

I honestly think it's a crap shoot these days. I have a SxS Samsung that I bought in 2015, with only an icemaker, no wi-fi or other such silly shit. Has worked fine so far, but the GE I bought in 1998 still lives on in the garage of the house I sold. I doubt I'll get that kind of life out of the Sammy, but we'll see.

This.

Same with the new computer controlled stove shit. Went to a buddy's one night, they were hosting a dinner game night deal. Fucking stove got into a loop. He had to fucking REBOOT the stove by cycling the breaker.

:lmao:

Bought a Samsung a few years ago mostly because my Samsung TV's have been flawless. It works find but makes bizarre noises sometimes when it cycles. Sounds like marbles in a empty cement mixer for about 5 seconds.

Bumping this cuz we are about to buy a bigger fridge. I am aiming for GE but she keeps pointing to Samsungs.

No icemakers or water fountains, just a side by side with freezer on bottom.

We just ordered a GE dishwasher today for almost a grand. The microwave and stove are Samsungs. I am not impressed with the stove.

I read on the internet (so it must be true) that the up/down bottom freezer are more reliable than side-by-side.

The more fancy the more they break

Fridgidaire: You had one job, and you've been doing it for 40 years.
LG: I heard you like doors- would you like a door in your door? How about a humidistat linked to your watch? How about a streaming camera to watch your eggs? How about live recipe updates to the screen on your door?

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-xJdMqspbMJi0_jpg.jpg

240446478_10226666088103325_9048938590125412197_n_jpg.jpg

I've got a white version of this 👆that's about 20 years old. And an ice-crusher bolted to the wall.

Fridge is a LG

Dishwasher is a Bosch

Stove is a Adora < I don't know who even makes that , they're all over 10 years old .

No complaints

I read on the internet (so it must be true) that the up/down bottom freezer are more reliable than side-by-side.

Fridgidaire: You had one job, and you've been doing it for 40 years.
LG: I heard you like doors- would you like a door in your door? How about a humidistat linked to your watch? How about a streaming camera to watch your eggs? How about live recipe updates to the screen on your door?

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-xJdMqspbMJi0_jpg.jpg

240446478_10226666088103325_9048938590125412197_n_jpg.jpg

I've got a white version of this 👆that's about 20 years old. And an ice-crusher bolted to the wall.
Pix of ice crusher?

I have a Whirlpool that is probably as old as I am. I bought it for $50 from my stepgrandmas estate sale about a dozen years ago. It drips water all over inside and out and sometimes make weird noises. But I have never done anything with it besides I have cleaned it out with bleach once or twice.

Now that I brag about it, it will probably break down tomorrow. Then I will go buy the cheapest fridge from a non chicom brand I have heard of.

All junk. But in two separate categories.
1. Old school appliance brands got the
Hard pets down. Compressors, frame, etc.
2. New tech companies now making appliances. They have better hardware/software/computer side of things. All the gimmicky shit is going to work better/longer but the compressor and other noncomputer pets won’t be as good

We have a Whirlpool sxs that I bought before I met my wife, we’ve been together twenty five years. I replace the filter on a regular basis. I’ve replaced the ice maker five times so far :homer:

Have afanxy samsung fridge that was gifted (used), not very old.

piecw of shit. google shows reports of engineering flaws for icemaker and fridge. sure enough, icemake is broken, and not back ices up.

Someone here suggested simple design GE or Whirlpool, and I agree, they seem to live longer.

fuck side by sides, fuck touch screens, and fuck buttons. fuck samsung too. mom got a new fancy one, and it had to be fixed 3 times during the first 4 months. Piece of trash. Like DWT of fridges. :flipoff2:

I have a "Subzero" built in fridge... IMHO; big over priced piece of junk! I am waiting for it to shit the bed and get the fuck out! I am getting a hard-on for the Samsung 29cu/ft four door fridge with no handles. I don't want or need any of thr fucking IOT bull shit in my fridge. :smokin:

After the problems I've had with our Samsung washer and dryer I wouldn't touch Samsung appliances with my enemy's wallet.

My LG fridge has been fantastic however. it's nothing fancy, just a stainless steel side by side with their "linear compressor". It's going on 10 yrs now with absolutely no problems, and I bought it as a floor model in an immediate need situation.

don't buy a fridge with an ice maker in the fridge section, who came up with that idea and thought it would work.

my GE sxs is from 1992 ice maker still works, I changed the light bulb about 3 years ago, guess all the cool kids want a bottom freezer now days.

Find anything from 30 plus years ago that someone is getting rid of and buy that.

I'm trying to buy a 50 year old upright freezer from my grandmother, shed rather buy me a new one...

FUCK SAMSUNG fridges!!!!

The fridge barely keeps this cool due to the fan constantly failing- I've had it replaced twice (fan) and now the ice maker doesnt work (and the ice compartment is too small). It's no longer under warranty.:mad3:

:flipoff2:

I found a 10 year old SS fridge on market place for 250 bucks, put a hard start kit on the compressor, been working good for 3 years for me now.

FUCK SAMSUNG fridges!!!!

The fridge barely keeps this cool due to the fan constantly failing- I've had it replaced twice (fan) and now the ice maker doesnt work (and the ice compartment is too small). It's no longer under warranty.:mad3:

:flipoff2:
Agree!! you have the on with the large plastic cover on the back? we had a SxS top with both freezer and that fucker would ice up on the inside 2-3 times a month, even after the "upgraded" fan kit. :shaking::shaking:

Most anything that's been around longer than we've been in Afghanistan is a good start.

I had some base maytag in my house when I bought it, moved those to a rental and upgraded to Fridigair Gallery that sucks. The old Maytag stuff is still going strong :homer:.

Top Back Refresh