What's new

Decent drill bit sharpener?

I got the Drill Doctor

no complaints other than I wished it went bigger, or they had a bigger version of it

I've got one of the cheap ones. I used some acylic to mount it, and to shim for some larger bits (1/2"+). It works great, especially for $12.

20211228_132247.jpg

I have a vintage one of these grinder jigs, a Drill Dr. and a older Deckel tool grinder. Most of the time if Im just doing one of my wood bits I use the grinder jig. Its quick easy and it works. The drill dr is crap. I use the deckel for my machine bits or any bits with fancy points or that I use for stainless or other hard to drill metals.

I prefer the good ol belt sander or a bench grinder with a nice wheel.

And now Vevor is selling those drill bit grinders on e-bay for less than $250...

LOL my work paid like $2k for the same one (different Colour). Works fantastic though. I would highly recommend for $250.

Money might be better spent on a speeds and feeds chart and a calculator.

Anything under 1/4" I buy in bulk from whoever has them cheap. If I size the pilot hole correctly and use the appropriate speed and feed the drill should not go dull. I've drilled over 1000 holes in cast iron with the same drill without sharpening.

Drill doctors work fine, but many times more efficient to just buy a new one. I use nothing but screw machine length (stubby) drills now from McMaster Carr and I can't remember the last time I fucked up anything but a 1/8" drill...but I buy those 10-20 at a time. Time is money and life is too short to sharpen drills.

Money might be better spent on a speeds and feeds chart and a calculator.

Anything under 1/4" I buy in bulk from whoever has them cheap. If I size the pilot hole correctly and use the appropriate speed and feed the drill should not go dull. I've drilled over 1000 holes in cast iron with the same drill without sharpening.

Drill doctors work fine, but many times more efficient to just buy a new one. I use nothing but screw machine length (stubby) drills now from McMaster Carr and I can't remember the last time I fucked up anything but a 1/8" drill...but I buy those 10-20 at a time. Time is money and life is too short to sharpen drills.

I bought a hundred count of 1/8" cobalt bits. I still sharpen them back up when they dull. Over half the time they will snap or shatter though, so they're done for... I've actually had decent luck sharpening 1/8" bits by hand, but most the time prefer to use a drill sharpener on them. 1/4 and larger I usually just do er by hand with good results.

I still need to get some decent pics of the grind that the MR-13 does. I haven't used it a ton yet, but what I did sharpen it did an amazing job on!

I use a drill doctor if it's real chowder then grind by hand to get it to actually cut worth a shit.

Top Back Refresh