What's new

Decent drill bit sharpener?

Vinman

Member Number
Loc
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Whats the best drill bit sharpener out there nowadays? Drill Dr 750X?
While I’ve always sharpened drill bits on the bench grinder I’ve come to the realization my 58 year old eyes (and hand-eye coordination) aren’t what they used to be so it’s time to get a sharpener.
For the peeps that use a sharpener, what do y’all use?

I have a Drill Dr 750x and I get hit or miss results with it when I use it. 99% of the time I will just grind my own on the bench grinder, but once in awhile when I get a pile of dull 1/8" pilot bits I will pull out the Drill Dr. About 75% of them come out right the first time through, and then the rest get re-ground again... I think most of my frustration comes from the shitty "chuck" and the flute alignment fingers.

I've been eyeballing one of these of e-bay... MR-13A Drill Sharpener Drill Bits Grinder Grinding Machine Ø2-13mm 110V 642940627505 | eBay

Dunno if they're worth a shit, but at least it has "proper" collets for the different size ranges...

Interested...I've been doing more metal drilling and although I can get a bit "sharper" on the bench grinder, I'm no pro at it and would like something easier.

Interested...I've been doing more metal drilling and although I can get a bit "sharper" on the bench grinder, I'm no pro at it and would like something easier.
This is where I am. I have the original Drill Dr. and the newer one and I usually get good results. If I don't it's because I messed up the initial setup in the collet. I suck at hand grinding.

I knew a guy who used to sharpen all the drill bits by hand while hot boxing the tool crib. That's all I got.
I have the 750x, got it as a gift, have used it a bunch. It's fine. Collet is finicky as mentioned. Sure beats a grinder if you have multiple to do.

:flipoff2:

I knew a guy who used to sharpen all the drill bits by hand while hot boxing the tool crib. That's all I got.
I have the 750x, got it as a gift, have used it a bunch. It's fine. Collet is finicky as mentioned. Sure beats a grinder if you have multiple to do.

:flipoff2:
I don’t recall working with you back in the 80’s🤡

The Drill Dr. is kind of controversial even guys who have spent the time to learn how to use it have some bits that just don't come out right. I think the issue is that the guide indexes off of the flutes and if the twist rate is odd the drill Dr. will round over the cutting edge. You can adjust your way out of this issue but you may spend a lot of time trying to get it just right on a 2 dollar bit.

I have a 750x and my take has always been, how many 1/2" or larger bits do you have to successfully sharpen to justify its cost? 5-10 of you are using cheap bits. My rule is anything under 1/8" gets bought in bulk and tossed when dull and everything else gets put into a pile to get sharpened, even broken bits.

The Drill Dr. is kind of controversial even guys who have spent the time to learn how to use it have some bits that just don't come out right. I think the issue is that the guide indexes off of the flutes and if the twist rate is odd the drill Dr. will round over the cutting edge. You can adjust your way out of this issue but you may spend a lot of time trying to get it just right on a 2 dollar bit.

I have a 750x and my take has always been, how many 1/2" or larger bits do you have to successfully sharpen to justify its cost? 5-10 of you are using cheap bits. My rule is anything under 1/8" gets bought in bulk and tossed when dull and everything else gets put into a pile to get sharpened, even broken bits.

Anything larger than 3/16 get sharpened by hand. I only use that damn Drill Dr. on the shitty small ones.

I've got one of the cheap ones. I used some acylic to mount it, and to shim for some larger bits (1/2"+). It works great, especially for $12.

20211228_132247.jpg

Anything larger than 3/16 get sharpened by hand. I only use that damn Drill Dr. on the shitty small ones.
This. I can hand sharpen a drill bit on a belt sander, but as you get down in size it gets more difficult - particularly with aging hands and eyes...

A younger guy at work is always saying there's no need for the Drill Dr, but his smaller bits wander all over everywhere when he's trying to start a hole while mine stay true.

This. I can hand sharpen a drill bit on a belt sander, but as you get down in size it gets more difficult - particularly with aging hands and eyes...
I learned to sharpen bits almost 40 years ago and have been ever since, but the problem is like you said, aging hands and eyes.
I ended up ordering the Drill Doctor 750X, should be here tomorrow and I’ll play around with it and report back.

A cutoff wheel in a Dremel works well for me. With an LED headlight for the middle-aged eyes. :laughing:

Smaller/slower gives you more control than a benchgrinder or sander.

Like this, but without the plastic dingus.

Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 12.19.37 PM.png
Not supposed to side load cutoff wheels.

Not supposed to side load cutoff wheels.
Bench jeweler for 20 years here- I've been sideloading those little bastards for decades. If you're not an oaf, it works fine.

And when one does blow up, it releases all the raging fury of a mouse fart. F = MASS x a

Aaaand, the ones they sell at HomeDepot for Dremels are for oafs. They're 1/16" thick and fiber-reinforced. The ones I use at the bench are .025" thick.

If you're the kind of guy who stalls a worm-drive cutting a 2x4 on your knee, by all means buy a Drill Dr. :flipoff2:

I received the Drill Dr today and tried it out on a few bits ranging from 1/8 to 3/8. It actually worked better than I expected considering I didn’t open the manual and just went off what I found on YouTube tutorials. I have probably 50-60 bits to sharpen so I’m pleased with the purchase.

With some practice it takes maybe 15 seconds to touch up a drill on a bench grinder. Maybe 30 full seconds to put a new point on a broken drill.

Screenshot_20211231-084301.png

The SRD or TRD drill sharpeners are decently regarded among those on practical machinist for a quick, easy to use sharpener for smaller drills. Lisle also used to make a nice setup for 1/8"-1.25", but you'll have to find a used one. Black Diamond is another nice machine, though still pretty pricey used.

A nice Oliver of Adrian is probably one of the best machines you'll find, they make a machine for .5" and smaller, and one for .5" - 3", or an optional upgrade to make it .25"-4". It's one of the few grinders that will grind a radial relief angle with more relief towards the center of the bit and less relief towards the outer edges.

They even offer a free trial sharpening on a few bits, just have to pay to ship them there, they'll grind them and send them back.

I'd say for 99% of people on here, best bet is to pickup a copy of the Engineer's Black Book that comes with their drill point checking gauge, read up a bit on how drill bits work in the book and practice doing it by hand on a bench grinder. Would also be a good way to learn how to dress a grinding wheel so it is both flat on the face and spinning true.

i'm happy i have a drill doctor anytime i need it. if nothing else just to get the right shape, then touch it up on the bench grinder w/ diamond wheel.

i dont sharpen many anymore unless i need/ have too. but even when i do it takes few try's to get the feel of it again, then i work throught hte drawer of bad bits. anythign 3/8th and under gets tossed.

If anyone has a drill doc they want to get rid of, I want one. Don't need anything but the motor and stone. I'm going to strip it down so I can do some .110-.155 drill bits

So how long until you've tested it for me :flipoff2:

I just ordered one.

Came across this on e-bay. Cheaper than the ones in China, and is stateside. $20 shipping. Plus I have an offer to get 5% e-bay bucks until midnight on the 23rd, so that gave me around $14 e-bay bucks to use on a future purchase. Only one left now, so if you want one at that price you might ought to jump on it.

Boutique fab shop I worked in 12 years ago went through tons of 1/4" drill bits. Boss just ordered cases of them from the local bolt supply house. The fabricators would drill a dozen or so holes and first sign of dulling toss the bit and grab a new one.

I talked the boss into getting a Drill Dr. 750x. I was the "college boy" CAD monkey so I didn't know anything, the fabricators all turned their nose up at the Drill Dr. and the handful that tried to use it told me it was junk. I read the instructions set it up and tried it myself, I was able to get bits as sharp or sharper than then new ones. I taught a couple of the more stable pot heads that worked there how to use the thing, and they managed to do just as good with it. Cut way down on the number of drill bits we were buying, I'd guess it paid for itself in under a year.

I just picked up this antique from a local machine shop auction for $100 OTD. It needs a little work and some new stones. Its rated from 1/8" up to 2-1/2" so that covers my full range of bits, except for under 1/8" and I just buy those when they break or dull. Theres a 1-25/64" MT4 shown for scale.

The newer versions of them have a fancier motor cover, tilting motor for morse bits that don't lay in the guide right (I'll just get some MT to round shank sleeves) and appears to have a few more indicators that I can just use an angle finder on.

The STERLING Drill Grinder – Performance Unmatched in the Industry!

20220218_182500.jpg

20220218_182635.jpg

I just picked up this antique from a local machine shop auction for $100 OTD. It needs a little work and some new stones. Its rated from 1/8" up to 2-1/2" so that covers my full range of bits, except for under 1/8" and I just buy those when they break or dull. Theres a 1-25/64" MT4 shown for scale.

The newer versions of them have a fancier motor cover, tilting motor for morse bits that don't lay in the guide right (I'll just get some MT to round shank sleeves) and appears to have a few more indicators that I can just use an angle finder on.

The STERLING Drill Grinder – Performance Unmatched in the Industry!

20220218_182500.jpg

20220218_182635.jpg

That's badass... I'd be all over a local deal like that!

My chinese drill sharpener came in today. I tried it out on a couple of ~ 1/2" diameter bits. So far I really like it! Way better than my Drill Dr. 750x. The Drill Dr. always seemed chintzy to me with all the plasticy bullshit and it's crappy "chuck" to hold the bits.

Top Back Refresh