What's new

Dealer Building Crawler Haulers?

Bogus One

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I remember a link somewhere to a trailer dealer in the midwest that was marrying up and "making" crawler haulers out of brand new units. Anyone remember that and got some deets?

Sundowner makes them I believe, maybe a few others.

You can get fully enclosed or an open deck. They're pretty damn sweet, I was trying to talk my father in law into one instead of the retarded $70k cab over he wants.

I know about the Sundowner and Genesis stuff.
This was some small time dealer that was taking brand new travel trailers and building a true Hillbilly Hyatt. Had 3 or 4 available when I was checking them out, with more coming.
Just want to see if they're still doing it and offerings

This was some small time dealer that was taking brand new travel trailers and building a true Hillbilly Hyatt. Had 3 or 4 available when I was checking them out, with more coming.

Ah, interesting. I'll be watching then :laughing:

Enclosed trailer based or flat deck based?

Ive seen the sundowner ones, they're big money, even for a standard enclosed. It's hard to find an enclosed trailer with a wide enough door opening for a full width truck.

I found this listing earlier this summer while searching

Doesn't look like they do much volume for crawler hauler builds.

Are you thinking about JBJ conversions ?

They turn enclosed trailers in BADASS toyhaulers. But not crawler haulers.

I can’t remember the username. But wasn’t the king of this the guy on Pirate from San Angelo, TX?
I remember that dude.. he built some badass homebuilt 40'+ crawler haulers.. 20-22' travel trailer or fifth wheel mounted on a huge hot shot sized tandem dually trailer that he built as well. tons of little tweaks like storage under the floor and doors in the bed of it. :grinpimp:

This rings a bell from the FB group Crawler Haulers. Also sounded like demand wasnt super high plus finding goosenecks was difficult. Plus they go so big (25-30’ campers on 40-44’ GNs), it was a turnoff for our usage.

I can’t remember the username. But wasn’t the king of this the guy on Pirate from San Angelo, TX?

I remember that dude.. he built some badass homebuilt 40'+ crawler haulers.. 20-22' travel trailer or fifth wheel mounted on a huge hot shot sized tandem dually trailer that he built as well. tons of little tweaks like storage under the floor and doors in the bed of it. :grinpimp:

That would be Texas Dick. I believe he built 3...

This is the one I was thinking of, thanks.
Would still love to see if there's others out there doing the same.

I talked to a sales rep at United RV in Texas. He was pretty cool. He said prices start at $40k. You give them a down payment of about $2500.00 and pick the box you want on the 40 foot trailer. The deposit is refundable up until they start the build.

I would love to have one. I’m just not quite ready to pull the trigger yet.

Saw this on IG

Screenshot_20211216-232915_Chrome.jpg

I do really like the floor plan of those little trailers posted above, small but laid out well. Only thing that would be better is if they were a 5th wheel to utilize the area above the gooseneck.

That being said, anyone know the price difference between just buying each trailer individually? Because it doesn't look like they do much more than just remove the axle and tongue and mount them together.

One thing I'd like to do if I ever do one, is large holding tanks under the deck. Campers or small rv trailers have tiny tanks.

For Florida prices it would cost $30-40k just to source a new trailer and new camper. $12k for a 36' bumper pull, $20k for a triple axle 40' PJ buggy hauler goose. We bought a new 18' camper same floor plan minus the slide out last year and paid right at $18k out the door.

That's pretty dope, if they can hold 6kish on the back.
Highest cargo capacity I saw on their web site was 4k for one with an 18' deck and a 6' living area. The cargo capacity goes down from there.... Useless for a full size crawler.

Edit: My bad, the 40' 5th wheel posted above has a 7k cargo capacity.

If its the standard lippert frame I would be skeptical.
To me that's the biggest advantage to "crawler haulers" bad ass frame, axle, tires.

Highest cargo capacity I saw on their web site was 4k for one with an 18' deck and a 6' living area. The cargo capacity goes down from there.... Useless for a full size crawler.

Edit: My bad, the 40' 5th wheel posted above has a 7k cargo capacity.

Thats the dumbest thing about toy haulers, you have to buy a 3 bed 2 bath 89 fucking feet long one for $100k to get a decent sized garage and capacity. Personally, I just want enough room to sleep a family, take a shit and a whores bath.

I wonder if there is a market for that type of trailer? Say a 30' 5th wheel, but with room to fit a 4 seat SxS or medium sized rig.

To me that's the biggest advantage to "crawler haulers" bad ass frame, axle, tires.

Also, being able to pull the camper and have a usable trailer.

Thats the dumbest thing about toy haulers, you have to buy a 3 bed 2 bath 89 fucking feet long one for $100k to get a decent sized garage and capacity. Personally, I just want enough room to sleep a family, take a shit and a whores bath.

I wonder if there is a market for that type of trailer? Say a 30' 5th wheel, but with room to fit a 4 seat SxS or medium sized rig.

Also, being able to pull the camper and have a usable trailer.
If there is a market for $1 million+ dollar Earth Roamers I'm sure there is a market for them.
Cheap shit ain't good, good shit ain't cheap :idea:

Dune Sport toyhaulers make some awesome stuff. They make them in house and can do everything custom. Here's one they just did. They said in the walkaround video they make 5th wheels.

1639796059141.png

I really like the Dune Sport stuff. Looks a lot better than the run of the mill Elkhart crap. They aren't shy about telling you that any fifth wheel is going to be $100k plus either.

i think that is the biggest thing I like about the Sundowner crawler hauler trailers.. they will legitimately haul a "crawler". Most toyhaulers are only good for a SXS, couple Harley's or quads. try to stuff a jeep in one and it's gonna break shit..

We have a 32' bumper pull toyhauler with an open floor plan. We love it. back the SXS out and the living room is 20' long. drop down bed at the back of the camper that we let friends stay in occasionally. With the RZR in it and all the camping gear and empty tanks it is at max gross for the 6 lug axles though. A jeep would be overloading it and I am sure it woudl fuck stuff up.

Top Back Refresh