What's new

Dead people in my garden

Poopyface

Member Number
If anyone has any dead bodies laying around that they need gone shoot me a line. I am in need of compost.

"Washington passed a law in 2019 allowing citizens to compost themselves after death for a more sustainable burial process. Fast forward a year later and the first human composting company is open for business in the state.

Called Recompose, the company was instrumental in passing the 2019 law and is certified to break your body down into organic compost. It does this by sealing a body into a capsule with plant matter which organically breaks down the body over time to create a cubic meter of compost."

https://www.optimistdaily.com/2020/1...-for-business/

I'm shooting to get buried out front. Fire up the k'bota and get to digging. Only problem with that is my driveway becomes a right-of-way or something for public access.

It's just a matter of time before gubberment doesn't allow in ground burials anymore, land is a premium and they're not making anymore fast enough.

Lucky Lager and eh?

Are you an undercover islander?

Ha! I'm not. Grandpa grew up on a farm in Oregon. I didn't know Lucky was a thing up there. I'll have to remember that next time I'm up. I'm usually 100% kokanee while I'm in that area.

The mushroom burial suit has been around a while.

mushroomdeathsuit 2.jpg

mushroomdeathsuit.jpg

My uncle Dave is buried on the hill over looking the orchard on the family property. Just assumed I'd get buried on the property as well

If I rember right, Luke Perry (from 90210) was buried in a Mushroom suit

After Luke Perry is buried in a mushroom suit, local funeral directors weigh in on the future of death

Written By: Robin Huebner | May 20th 2019 - 6am.
051919.N.FF.ECOBURIAL.01.jpg

A wicker casket is displayed at Boulger Funeral Home in south Fargo. David Samson / The Forum

FARGO — They’re billed as earth-friendly approaches to the end of life and are certainly intriguing, if not a little peculiar.

One is a biodegradable burial suit made, in part, out of mushrooms. Actor Luke Perry’s family recently revealed he was buried in one following his death in March from a stroke.

The second amounts to human composting, similar to what’s done with farm animal remains.

Lawmakers in Washington recently passed a bill making their state the first to allow “natural organic reduction” as soon as May 2020.

Both are offered as alternate choices to conventional burial and cremation and are mostly getting attention along the coasts.

Jim Boulger, a funeral director at Boulger Funeral Home in Fargo, welcomes new views on dealing with death.

“I’m for it. You know, the funeral industry is, in my opinion, it’s kind of like a dinosaur, where things are hard to come up,” he said.

Change is happening, little by little.

RELATED:
Along with the traditional caskets like what Grandma was buried in from 1960, some funeral homes offer pine and wicker caskets, as well as cremation urns made of sand or salt, Boulger said.

Craig Olson, funeral director at West Funeral Home in West Fargo, said others are finding new ways to remember loved ones.

“I just sent off some cremated remains the other day to be hand blown into a piece of glass,” he said.
Returned to the earth

The Infinity Burial Suit or "mushroom suit" in which Perry was buried is made by a company called Coeio. According to its website, the garment is handcrafted from organic cotton and contains a bio­mix of mushrooms and other microorganisms meant to aid decomposition. It sells for $1,500.

The concept may seem odd to many people. But Steve Wright, owner of Wright Funeral Home in Moorhead, said it could be the right choice for others.

“For the right person, it’s a perfectly reasonable thing,” he said.

Boulger said if the idea catches on, the funeral home may offer it in the future.

As for human composting, that idea is being spearheaded by a Washington-based company called Recompose.

According to its website, the company envisions a facility where families who've lost a loved one would gather and place the body in a vessel that would convert it to soil over a month's time. They could take the soil created home with them, to plant as they wish.

The process would reduce the need for cemetery space, which is difficult to come by in denser, urban areas.

infinity%20suit.PNG

This image of the Infinity Burial Suit appears on the Coeio website. The $1,500 garment is billed as an eco-friendly burial option.

Hybrid cemeteries

Critics of conventional burial find plenty of reasons to move away from it.

They point to embalming, the practice of pumping chemicals into the body to delay decomposition, as bad for the environment.

It’s done, upon family request, to improve the appearance of the body at the funeral and give family members who have to travel, time to view their loved one.

But Boulger said he and fellow funeral directors are also doing less of it than before, because some families are choosing to bury or cremate the body within a day or two of death.

Most local cemeteries also require a concrete outer burial container or vault around the casket, a $1,300 to $1,400 expense.

The concrete keeps the casket from caving in over time and helps keep grave markers straight, Wright said.

Only a handful of cemeteries in the F-M area don’t require concrete containers: one near Hawley, Minn., a Hebrew cemetery, Beth El Memorial Park in north Fargo, and a Muslim cemetery, south of Fargo Davies High School, Boulger said.

A “hybrid cemetery” allows vault-free burials to be mixed in with traditional ones.

According to the nonprofit Green Burial Council, in Placerville, Calif., a total of 23 states have certified hybrid cemeteries.

Minnesota has one in Brooklyn Center and South Dakota has one in Sioux Falls, while North Dakota has none.

Boulger said there were plans to open a green burial space at Holy Cross Cemetery just south of Fargo.

“They had it plotted, and they haven’t had a single request for it,” he said.

051919.N.FF.ECOBURIAL.03.jpg

A natural salt urn displayed at Boulger Funeral Home in south Fargo. David Samson / The Forum

Different shades of green

Some people may think of cremation as an eco-friendly method of final disposition, but it also has drawbacks.

George Korsmo of Korsmo Funeral Home in Moorhead said large amounts of natural gas are used to cremate a body, and mercury fillings from teeth, when burned, go into the atmosphere.

“If you’re cremating thousands of people, now we have a big deal,” Korsmo said.

The National Funeral Directors Association projected the 2018 cremation rate to be 53.5 percent. In the Fargo-Moorhead area, the rate is around 50 percent, Wright said.

He and other funeral directors are keeping an eye on another method of final disposition, legal in Minnesota but not in North Dakota.

During alkaline hydrolysis, the body is placed in a stainless steel cylinder and essentially dissolved with a mix of lye, water and heat. Only skeletal remains, like in cremation, are left.

The process uses much less energy than cremation, Wright said, and the non-toxic effluent that comes off can go into city waste systems, or put on gardens and farm fields as fertilizer.

Wright said the people he knows in the funeral industry who are using it haven’t found it cost effective.

Whichever direction these trends go will depend on consumer demand.

Korsmo said when it comes to emotions, the closest thing to a funeral is a wedding.

No one would tell a bride to wear a paper dress instead of a cloth one, he said, and those in the funeral industry shouldn’t dictate what families do.

“That’s a very fine line for us and all funeral homes to tread,” Korsmo said.
]

Last time I checked, it was perfectly legal to bury bodies on your property.

I looked it up, and in my state something gets added to the deed granting the public a right of way. To view the burial site or something.

I thought everyone has a few bodies in unmarked graves on their property.

We call it Southern Hospitality

Ha! I'm not. Grandpa grew up on a farm in Oregon. I didn't know Lucky was a thing up there. I'll have to remember that next time I'm up. I'm usually 100% kokanee while I'm in that area.

Lucky Lager is islander juice. Juat ask whatever dirtymanche goes by here, he'll tell you how its for hippies and other coastal filth. At one point we had the highest consumption rate for Lucky worldwide. I've actually never met someone who is of legal age to buy beer who drinks kokanee by choice. What do your cans of Lucky look like though? There are two different labels, and it tastes different.

https://beermebc.com/2019/12/02/lucky-lager/
Quote from the article:

The Province newspaper offered some insight to sales, reporting: “In 2015, cans of Labatt Lucky Lager outsold all other alcoholic beverages, from wines through spirits, in Nanaimo. All told, Nanaimoites bought 72,822 litres of Lucky, out-selling Nanaimo’s next favourite brew, Labatt Budweiser, by more than 6,700 litres.”

I thought everyone has a few bodies in unmarked graves on their property.

We call it Southern Hospitality

That one really dark slough on the back of the bayou with the shallow entrance. Strip them naked, whatever the gators(water hogs) leave on day one the catfish will get on day two.

Lucky Lager is islander juice. Juat ask whatever dirtymanche goes by here, he'll tell you how its for hippies and other coastal filth. At one point we had the highest consumption rate for Lucky worldwide. I've actually never met someone who is of legal age to buy beer who drinks kokanee by choice. What do your cans of Lucky look like though? There are two different labels, and it tastes different.

https://beermebc.com/2019/12/02/lucky-lager/
Quote from the article:

The Province newspaper offered some insight to sales, reporting: “In 2015, cans of Labatt Lucky Lager outsold all other alcoholic beverages, from wines through spirits, in Nanaimo. All told, Nanaimoites bought 72,822 litres of Lucky, out-selling Nanaimo’s next favourite brew, Labatt Budweiser, by more than 6,700 litres.”

Ha! This is the only way I have ever seen Lucky consumed by my grandpa(he died back in 1995):
22355eee5fdb57bd3162840da96f7d24.jpg

Short little bottles with a "guess the phrase" game on the inside of the bottle. He was retired and lived with my parents, so I'd come home from school and he'd usually be in his little wood shop cutting something with out with his table jig saw thing and drinking lucky lager and tossing the caps into a collection he had for later when he got bored.

Any time I'm in BC, it's for drinking cheap beer and riding my mountain bike in Squamish or Whistler. I'm in full tourist mode. Every time I have tried to find some decent beer, I either candy find somewhere that sells any, or it's a bazillion dollars(even taking into account the exchange rate) for a sixer. I figure I ain't got time to be stressing over what beer I drink when I'm on limited vacation time, so I just started defaulting to Kokanee. Makes drinking at a bar in Whistler somewhat affordable too.

Top Back Refresh