What's new

Dash lights/I'm electrically retarded

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
92 4runner, 22re, w56 swap.
Hopped in to go hunting the other morning and my instrument illumination lights weren't working. Still have tail lights. Fuse is good.
Replaced the dimmer dial, something inside glowed, let the smoke out, and stopped glowing:laughing:.

Dimmer dial has 3 wires, 2 are 12v+, one is ground.

I have no idea what to check or how. Please spoon feed me.

Do you have power to the fuse. Start tracing and testing backward or forwards from that point

Do you have power to the fuse. Start tracing and testing backward or forwards from that point

Yes I do have power to the fuse, and to the dimmer dial thing. Now since I let the smoke out of it, I don't know how I could check anything past that, or any other part of the system. I'd be happy to eliminate the dimmer dial, and just run the illumination at full stink, but I don't know how the hell to do that. If there is an easy way feel free to tell me!

Last edited:
One of my front blinkers lights up if I press the brake pedal hard. Wich would spaz out the blinker, if turned on..

Just stopped using that blinker. Problem solved

Ripper the cluster out. Left 2 pins on this plug have 12v+ when I turn the headlights on, whether the dial is in place or not.
20221116_201303.jpg

16686585614764141793386631670179.jpg

I think one should be a ground, based on looking at this. That plug plugs in at top right, the 2 pins in question are outermost.

Also found this in an online 1993 FSM.

Screenshot_20221116-213954_Samsung Notes.jpg

On the plug on my truck, terminals 1 and 2 (I think, could be 3) always have 12v+ when the headlights are on.

I think this means that somewhere that wire is getting juice when it shouldn't be.

I snipped the outermost wire on the plug shown and plugged everything back together with the intent of grounding it to see if my lights came back....and it has power coming out of the cluster too.

The fuck?!

Top Back Refresh