What's new

Cutting the inner fenders and rad support off

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
My 2nd gen was abused before I got it, inner fenders are both torn, driver's side is tech screwed to the core support, which is bent and fucked. Driver side is about 2" back compared to the pass side.
I'm thinking of just chopping it off, using some square tube to rebuild it, and hang the fenders off. Anyone have pictures along those lines, just shopping for ideas mostly.
The truck needs to maintain fenders for the occasional mountie we run into while out hunting.

i hacked up my rad core support and the lower brace, then "framed" it with some 1x1" x 1/8" angle welded to the frame. cheap, easy, worked.

still had most of my inner fenders, so no help there.

Following, my driver's side fender is pretty well hacked out and my battery is ready to fall out of the truck I gotta do something as well.

Brian’s doublecab build did exactly this... at the other place

Won’t let me post a picture but I cut mine off at the cab and ran tube and mounted everything off of that. Mine also tied into my shock towers and acted as braces but fenders grill and hood still fit

I swear I have better pictures somewhere but they may have went down with photobucket.

Firewall forward is all tube, I didn't need headlights or turn signals so I didn't bother to scab those sections of the core support on but it would be easy enough to do. The square tube from the firewall to bumper is what the fender hangs on. I also made panels out of poly mudflap material to cover up the open sections, easy to work with and conforms to the shape really well.

Probably way overkill for what you're after, but its something.

truck1.JPG
truck2.JPG

I swear I have better pictures somewhere but they may have went down with photobucket.

Firewall forward is all tube, I didn't need headlights or turn signals so I didn't bother to scab those sections of the core support on but it would be easy enough to do. The square tube from the firewall to bumper is what the fender hangs on. I also made panels out of poly mudflap material to cover up the open sections, easy to work with and conforms to the shape really well.

Probably way overkill for what you're after, but its something.

Deadly!

Any chance you've got a picture of the driver's side? I'd like to have an idea of what ya did around the booster.

My core support is smashed anyway, so I'd be janking something together to hang headlights and signals off of anyway.

What did you do with the battery?

Deadly!

Any chance you've got a picture of the driver's side? I'd like to have an idea of what ya did around the booster.

My core support is smashed anyway, so I'd be janking something together to hang headlights and signals off of anyway.

What did you do with the battery?

I don't have a good one of the drivers side, but it's identical to the pass side and clears the booster with plenty of room. Those tubes go through the cavity in the firewall and tie into the cage.

truck4.JPG

The battery is on the frame behind the cab, it's just got bed skins because race car.

truck3.JPG

If it didn't have two feet of snow on it I'd go get some better pictures. I rolled it again about 5 years ago and got tired of sectioning new cabs on so its just sitting in the back yard. This was the last time when the front sheet metal went away.

truck5.JPG

Well, I guess I'm pretty much committed at this point.

20210320_154114.jpg

I cut the front clip off as close to the firewall as possible...actually too close in one spot on the passenger side...had to patch a little.:laughing:
I pulled the hood hinges out, and cut 1/8" plates to sit over top of them. Since the cab is still on stock rubber body mounts, I figured it was a bad idea to weld solid onto the frame, so I tied into the front body mount as well. Once both sides are tied in, it should be plenty solid. Also incorporated a 3" or so per side dove.

20210320_181546.jpg

I also used the tube clamps (TMR maybe?) that I bought about 10 years ago, so I'll make the whole front end removable for easy service on the motor, and being able to pull the whole drive train out the front.

Just so happens I'm right in the middle of a motor swap so I'm able to get some decent pics. Built out whatever I had lying around. Sucked in a total of 17" IIRC. Everything is taped per Toyota bolts. Tied into main cage and hoops.

20210419_170423.jpg
20210419_170231.jpg
20210419_170155.jpg
20210419_170423.jpg
20210419_170231.jpg
20210419_170155.jpg
20210419_170140.jpg

How it looks when together. Yes, I am a garage hack, and there is a removable section to protect the motor.
20190322_172515.jpg

Can't figure out editing on the new style, deal with double pics of fuckery :flipoff2:

Mine...more prerunner inspired though since I kept all the body panels and functions of the stock truck. It is very nice to have everything solidly mounted to tube work instead of sheet metal though.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1fc4.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1fc4.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 78
breynolds looks deadly! battery relocated?
Got a washer fluid reservoir?
Can you still pull the motor?

Yes battery is under the truck where the stock gas tank used to live. Have a washer fluid bottle from an older Toyota truck (smallest one I could find). Just recently made the tube right above the intake manifold removable so yes the motor can be pulled.

Yes battery is under the truck where the stock gas tank used to live. Have a washer fluid bottle from an older Toyota truck (smallest one I could find). Just recently made the tube right above the intake manifold removable so yes the motor can be pulled.
when are you doing the rear suspension?

Top Back Refresh