What's new

Custom Stand for Sheet Metal Finger Brake

PAToyota

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
South Central Pennsylvania, USA
I'm pretty sure I either saw it at the last place or on Instagram. Trying to search IG absolutely sucks and I haven't turned anything up at the last place.

Someone built a stand for their finger brake that was tube (round) steel and dimple die'd infill plates. Looked really cool, but (at the time) I didn't have access to a tube bender and figured that I'd never be able to build anything like that cheaply. Now I have access to a bender and scrap tube, so I'm looking to update my stand.

Anyone remember anything like that or - even better - possibly have saved the image?

following this, I have a 4' brake that is haphazardly perched on a bench next to a similarly poorly place 4' slip roll. A proper stand would be a good project.

If I can't find the picture, I can likely still come up with something nice. I just remember really thinking the one I saw was damn cool at the time, but now can't remember any details.

Ok, so I spent some time searching images...

a373ec08798582052a5afb9746f21986.jpg

That is at least tubes - and I like the bends across the length of the brake as opposed to just the sides.

For all the information on the 'net out there, searching for things is becoming more and more difficult with the AI "thinking" it knows what you mean - and yes, I'm fairly fluent in using search operators. I liken it to that blasted paperclip in MS Word. FFS, I DID mean "battle sheep" and not "battleship" and quit correcting me you condescending smug little twat... :flipoff: Every search quickly devolves into DIY sheet metal brakes out of angle iron (because every "influencer" out there has their post or video about building one...) and other irrelevant results. Although, the "metal bat" tangent was a bit interesting... Flying, not baseball...

This one isn't tube (well, not round), but I like the cantilever to it.

bb15cb744927a402538d60a6de1c6800.jpg

This one has some style with the cutouts, but otherwise is just "stick built."

58c0cb80501fc5b810ee7ef15bc23bcf.jpg

I know I could just hack something together with straight tube (round or square) or angle iron or such, but sort of want to do something with some style to practice/show off my skills a bit.

I did this for the equipment at work.
image.jpg
you dont chase that thing across the shop when you start to bend stuff?

I made mine out of angle sitting on the floor, and the thing still wants to move at times

No the wheels have breaks and we bend thin material and usually not the full length. Both don’t get a lot of use so it’s nice to wheel them around when you need them.

This is an old picture of mine when I first built it about 15 years ago. Still works great, my slip roll and hydro tube bender are all on very similar carts as well. No brakes on my wheels, 2 straights and 2 fixed and it doesn't move around bending stuff.

brake1.JPG

Last edited:
I haven't had to chase mine. The casters aren't that good, so maybe that's the secret to it not moving when I don't want it to.

edit: looking at the picture reminds me, those are casters of the cheap HF dolly, like the one with the grey tote on it.

341ee330-d8a2-483c-b449-c985fbb21256-jpeg.538317

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh