What's new

Custom fj80 front axle wms cut measurements

4x4toyotatyler

Yellow Skull
ST4x4
Member Number
I am sure this has been done a ton, but I can't seem to find the info anywhere (here, mud, old pirate, etc). So posting it here to live on in infamy.

If you are taking a custom builder axle housing and cutting it for an fj80 axle shafts and 8"hp third:

The cut for the Long side will measure at 30" to 30.25"

The cut for the short side will measure at 14" to 14.25"

Measurement is measured from the centerline of the third member mounting surface.

You have about .5" of acceptable variance on your cut. The splines in the diff are 1.75" long and you need 1.25" engagement minimum.

Measurements are assuming you are using Mile Marker hubs, which do not lock the axle shafts in place like aisin or warn hubs. Thus allowing the shafts to "float" and find the correct position for the kingpin axis during turning.

Most people, when building custom housings just make their wms cuts wherever they want them, then order shafts according to whatever their cuts ended up being. But if you want to run stock length shafts, you will need to be close to the measurements above. Good luck!

Attachments

• 20220506_152128.jpg
    20220506_152128.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 202
  • 20220506_154908.jpg
    20220506_154908.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Build a custom axle and use MM hubs?:flipoff2:

It’s not tough to get everything to factory spec as long as you take your time.
This is the last 80/ruffstuff I did. Still sitting in the garage waiting to go in.
C293017E-0A77-4217-B231-5D6C7DF01FDF.jpeg

Build a custom axle and use MM hubs?:flipoff2:

It’s not tough to get everything to factory spec as long as you take your time.
This is the last 80/ruffstuff I did. Still sitting in the garage waiting to go in.
C293017E-0A77-4217-B231-5D6C7DF01FDF.jpeg
True it's not hard, but for someone who might be looking to undertake the project, I couldn't find the factory specs on where to cut the tubes anywhere. Definitely doable and a fun project though!

Why do a full custom housing just to work around stock length shafts?

I liked my Fj80 fronts width OK, but would have went a few inches wider if starting from scratch. ~65-66" is about perfect for 37-39s.

But really, if starting from scratch, skip the Toyota junk and go 609:flipoff2:

I liked my Fj80 fronts width OK, but would have went a few inches wider if starting from scratch. ~65-66" is about perfect for 37-39s.

Yea but then it's not all ToYoTa!!! - signed the guy who did all Toyota including using hard as fawk to find leaf springs.:flipoff2:

Good tech for future searches!

Last edited:
Yea but then it's not all ToYoTa!!! - signed the guy who did all Toyota including using hard as fawk to find leaf springs.:flipoff2:

Which is all cool when picking up used junk for cheap. But not when buying all aftermarket stuff.

It's not even really Toyota at that point. Whats left on a full build that's actually Toyota? Wheel hubs and spindles? :homer:

Even the 3rd would be a new casting by yukon.

We are SASing a 97 4runner and keeping the rear axle under it. So we needed a front axle and the owner wanted to keep everything stock fitting so he could find parts while he's out on adventures if he breaks anything. Setting it up for 37s.

But since you're God almighty, I guess you would have already known that 😏

We are SASing a 97 4runner and keeping the rear axle under it. So we needed a front axle and the owner wanted to keep everything stock fitting so he could find parts while he's out on adventures if he breaks anything. Setting it up for 37s.

But since you're God almighty, I guess you would have already known that 😏

Where are you going to find Fj80 inner axles "out on an adventure"?

Just put rcv's in and forget about it.

Rcvs are in it 😆 you should just stop commenting

So then why worry about stock replacements? You really think he's going to break a chromo rcv then put a stock one back in that he magically finds in the middle of nowhere?

Sorry bud, this isn't a podcast, open comments are what make forums great. Keeps people honest.

So then why worry about stock replacements? You really think he's going to break a chromo rcv then put a stock one back in that he magically finds in the middle of nowhere?

Sorry bud, this isn't a podcast, open comments are what make forums great. Keeps people honest.
I never said stock replacement. I said stock measurements... aka not custom length stuff. Learn to read.

Haha sorry... my exact words were "stock fitting". I thought it was pretty well known that stronger aftermarket parts are typically made and readily available for "stock fitting" replacements ;) sorry to confuse your reading level.

Now... can we get back to the point of this topic rather than derailing it with "youre dumb, you should do this instead". We are going to do what we want to do. The point of the topic was to help inform anyone else that is trying to cut a custom housing for stock length FJ80 wms.

Haha sorry... my exact words were "stock fitting". I thought it was pretty well known that stronger aftermarket parts are typically made and readily available for "stock fitting" replacements ;) sorry to confuse your reading level.

Now... can we get back to the point of this topic rather than derailing it with "youre dumb, you should do this instead". We are going to do what we want to do. The point of the topic was to help inform anyone else that is trying to cut a custom housing for stock length FJ80 wms.

damn... someone's having a hard time with any amount of criticism...

have you thought about joining tacomaterritory?

Haha criticism has nothing to do with it. I just find it annoying when people are trying to give advice on something that we are already doing, and then having to explain why I'm doing something some way when that's not even the point of the topic lol. It's a useless waste of forum space. If he wanted to have a conversation about why we are building an fj80 width custom axle and tell us how we SHOULD be doing it (when we are already doing it that way) then he could always PM me rather than derail topics away from their original intent. It makes it hard for people to find the relevant information they are looking for later on. 😕

Haha criticism has nothing to do with it. I just find it annoying when people are trying to give advice on something that we are already doing, and then having to explain why I'm doing something some way when that's not even the point of the topic lol. It's a useless waste of forum space. If he wanted to have a conversation about why we are building an fj80 width custom axle and tell us how we SHOULD be doing it (when we are already doing it that way) then he could always PM me rather than derail topics away from their original intent. It makes it hard for people to find the relevant information they are looking for later on. 😕

you're going to fit in well here. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Top Back Refresh