What's new

Current State of Portal Tech

Clastic

Member Number
Because we have one for winches, why not for portals. Most the stuff from teh PBB is dated with links broken, photos gone, and whole ass companies gone.

So I'll start what little I know and let you folks who are in the know take it from there.

In no particular order

• Mogs. Our old standby for years. Seem to be much harder to get than they used to (at least for the local guy poking around) Dated, Takes a LOT of work to get under a non mog. End swapping onto other axles seems to have died out

• Humvee boxes. Jessie Haines seems to have the market cornered and the go to guy, outside of him nobody else has parts RTG to go to portals. Upside is, you get a LOT of experience going with him.

• Axle Techs. Featured on the UA Superduty. Can't find a ton of info otherwise, potential to be plentiful thanks to the GWOT Heavy unlikely to break under fullsize, doesn't look to be a great choice for something lightweight.

• DStrac corp full portal axles. A lot of advertisment, can't find anybody actually running them.

• The outliers. I think somebody is bringing a bolt on box for Jeep axles? Might be good for light weight buggies. If the box is proprietary may run into issues like Stak where you drop a bunch of coin for a paper weight. But on the other hand enough Jeep bros with thick pocket books they it stands a good chance.

The other outlier is whatever Fred put on his CUCV before going to Alaska, Haven't been able to figure that out. Maybe Axletech?
That's the long and short of what I know, hopefully somebody here can fill in the blanks

Honestly I'm not sure, just threw it out there as an option. I've seen a few complete vehicles for sale in the past year or two so they are around.

The mopar portals are (were) axle techs.

The portals Fred put on the cucv were axle tech.

Jesse has definitely dominated the H1 portal market for solid axles, and seems to have gathered up most of the supply in the country. There still are some here and there, but not nearly as readily available as they seemed to be 5-10 years ago. He's recently introduced some new high strength gears for them, and I believe a new CV upgrade option with RCV.

74 weld has become a prominent name in recent years. They've had at least some portal version around for quite a while (TJ mark's portal build back on Pirate), but didn't seem to be promoting them on the larger scale for a while. Now, they are the suppliers of the portals on the stock class 4600 Broncos, and i believe they recently announced jeep bolt on options

Then there are the crazy guys like Mason who are building the absolute top tier trophy trucks, including their own portals and other components

Seems the h1 portal parts have almost run dry.. I figured jesse would be calling afghanistan by now getting our left over parts. He basically is now getting custom portal boxes built and custom gears to combat the lack of supply from what I've gathered.. also has 50 degree steering options but there new and pushing the limits for birfields imop but he seems to make them work perfectly fine.. basically the best option for crawlers is jhf,the 47weld options seem epic and lasted through koh so they must be legit..put them on 42 stickies with water and mass bandage like jesse does and maybe the game will change

the 47weld options seem epic and lasted through koh so they must be legit..put them on 42 stickies with water and mass bandage like jesse does and maybe the game will change
There are sets already out there with 42s and water. And no problems.

I think 74weld is also coming out with a two gear crawler portal.

I looked at making my own based off of H1 gears, as it looks like you can get NOS gears resonably cheap on ebay still. I was thinking of fabricating the boxes, then use a superduty unit hub like 74weld does, but in the end it was too big a project. I don't have the budget to poor into that and also design a custom buggy around it. Also, if you watch the govplanet auctions sometimes they have hummers for less than $3k. They actually sell quite a few every week it seems.

Bringing this back up, as I've found a great deal on some H1 portals. Saw the Jesse Haines has some new castings out as well to address the high steer, does anybody know if this is because there were issues with his arms on the old boxes or just due to the lack of parts availability? Thanks

Bringing this back up, as I've found a great deal on some H1 portals. Saw the Jesse Haines has some new castings out as well to address the high steer, does anybody know if this is because there were issues with his arms on the old boxes or just due to the lack of parts availability? Thanks
I believe it was due to lack of parts availability. If your going to go through the trouble of having boxes made he may as well have them made to his exact specifications.

Top Back Refresh