What's new

Cummins Advanced Combat Engine.

dave_dj1

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Jackson NY
You Cummins fans may know about this engine but I just discovered it's existence, pretty cool. 1000hp 4 cyl twin turbo with opposed pistons and a box shape designed specifically for military use.
Here is the video I came across. I'm not impressed with the interviewer or interviewee but the engine is cool nonetheless.

https://youtu.be/Mfy05zqn324

For the lazy or those that don't understand what he means by the cylinder configuration.

For the lazy or those that don't understand what he means by the cylinder configuration.

:eek: that wouldnt really be opposed like a boxer engine

more like inposed? i feel like thats not a word and spellcheck agrees :laughing:

The opposed piston idea has been around since the late 1800's, but with the application of modern tech it's been refined. Simplified engine since it's a "2 stroke", no valves, cams, etc.

It is an opposed engine and this is just another development of really old tech. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposed-piston_engine

Still pretty neat. The napier deltic was an even cooler design of the type https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

my brain hurts:homer:

240px-Napier_Deltic_Animation.gif

240px-Deltic_18_firing_order.gif

Cylinder firing order of the 18 cylinder Napier Deltic diesel engine: The grid represents triangular cylinder arrangement (banks A, B, C) and rows 1 to 6

Seawolf nuke subs and all preceding them, still use Fairbanks Morse 38ND 8-1/8 opposed piston diesels for back up power, originally designed in the 30's. Definitely not a new idea for a military application.

Seawolf nuke subs and all preceding them, still use Fairbanks Morse 38ND 8-1/8 opposed piston diesels for back up power, originally designed in the 30's. Definitely not a new idea for a military application.

Yup, primary power for U.S. WW II diesel subs.

It may make 1000hp but at nearly 4000lbs it may be a tad porky to shoehorn into a Miata.....

Wait. I missed the weight.

This thing weighs two tons?

notsureifserious.jpeg

14.3L isn't gonna be a lightweight.

Holy shit.

Its that big. mmk. yea, I just breezed through and watched the video on mute. the video made it seem so much smaller (phrasing, boom).

I've got a Pair of them mounted on my pulling Tractor. Y'all need to keep up :flipoff2:

So I may have to brake down and buy a full size. We all make sacrifices. :flipoff2:

Will continue to check govplanet in about 5 years

You'll probably need a bit more than a 3/4 or 1 ton. A 6.7L Cummins only weighs about 1100 lbs. That's about 1/4 of the engine in the video.

You saying those are going to be all over Govplanet, like H1 tires? Sounds good to me!

Like most of the fringe research stuff that tardec(gvsc) sponsors it will probably never be produced. If it did it won't be epa compliant so it likely won't be able to be sold to civilians.

Top Back Refresh