What's new

craigslist now requires a phone number to edit your own posts?

[486]

ugh, that guy again?
Member Number
Loc
pine city MN
tried dropping prices on some shit today I just want gone and it wants me to send a confirmation phone call to (presumably) my phone
Fuck that. I went to email only because fuck putting my phone number anywhere, motherfuckers keep calling me about "the vehicle owner" and a nonexistant warranty

Seems kind of fishy because just last month my dad was having a huge amount of trouble getting the fucking site to show his phone number in an ad, he ended up needing to put it into a picture because it kept neglecting to display it or outright removing it from the ad. Not even the normal hiding it behind a capcha deal that's been the norm for a while now, you'd complete the capcha and it wouldn't bring up anything.

Was this using an account, or just an email?
I setup a Google Voice number that I use for Craigslist, if someone gets too annoying they get blocked and it doesn't ring through to my cell when I am sleeping.

Aaron Z

So without CL and FMBP, what are people using?

I didn't think anyone used craigslist anymore. The charge to sell a used vehicle was the end for most and they stopped using it for anything else as well.

at this point i’ll rather trash it or burn it than deal with morons.

So without CL and FMBP, what are people using?

CL is pretty dead. FBMP works but the idiots are many and you have to use facebook. Been wondering this myself.

Seen several people mention offerup, but havent tried it yet.

Middle of last year I sold a car on CL. Paid the whatever. Looking back it was totally worth it as I got actual interested buyers. FB ad just got me dick draggers and shit talkers.

X2 on google phone number. Its what I use anytime I'm selling anything. For selling my car, I just went full bore in and signed up. Wasn't that bad. I don't get spam emails or anything. Giving a phone number option was beneficial in selling my car as I was able to immediately text the buyer and get going.

CL is pretty dead. FBMP works but the idiots are many and you have to use facebook. Been wondering this myself.

I've had awesome, awesome luck on Marketplace. But starting a few months ago it went to shit. People posting trucks up for $1200 but, "Facebook won't let me put full price - its $12,0000". Then the ads are unbearable. I also never put Facebook on my phone, and now I use a dumb phone so I don't have any apps at all. Then searching around I get all these ads for the most random things. Its so cluttered its unusable.

I keep a rolling ad on craigslist for services I offer. They force a confirmation email every time I log in. Marketplace would get me a ton more traffic and jobs, butt fuck facebook. I have a second craigslist account for selling shit and I have to do the same confirmation email when I log in.

Probably 4 spam calls per day for my "expiring warranty". :mad3:

Sooooo, where’s the best place to buy and sell then? People on here complain about every platform out there. eBay sucks CL sucks FBMP sucks.

I use FBMP mostly for big items and then eBay for purchases. Rarely Amazon. I haven’t bought anything off of CL in a very long time. CL is doing the phone number thing because of scammers and whatnot. I don’t see an issue with that but I have to do that with several computer programs I use at work.

selling stuff I use FBMP and it works pretty good and I usually don’t end up dealing with dickheads

other platforms out there people talk about don’t get any traffic on them so they’re pointless to use in this area.

I post most stuff on both Facebook and Craigslist.
Get a lot of tire kickers on both, Facebook is worse for the "is this still available" that people accidentally click, Craigslist is worse for the straight up scammers (I will send a check and you pay the driver who picks it up kind of thing).

Aaron Z

Sooooo, where’s the best place to buy and sell then? People on here complain about every platform out there. eBay sucks CL sucks FBMP sucks.

I use FBMP mostly for big items and then eBay for purchases. Rarely Amazon. I haven’t bought anything off of CL in a very long time. CL is doing the phone number thing because of scammers and whatnot. I don’t see an issue with that but I have to do that with several computer programs I use at work.

selling stuff I use FBMP and it works pretty good and I usually don’t end up dealing with dickheads

other platforms out there people talk about don’t get any traffic on them so they’re pointless to use in this area.

If you're going to answer your own question, then why even ask it?

I’m in the same boat as many here it seems.

I don’t have Facebook and my enthusiasm to get it is very low.

I haven’t gotten any responses to the few Craigslist adds I’ve posted inside the last year.

I was surfing Offer Up last night but didn’t find anything related to what I want to sell. That doesn’t give me much confidence in the site.

Maybe The WantAd will make a return. :D

Was this using an account, or just an email?

I have an account, always seemed to need one to post ads?

I was able to post another ad without the phone number bullshit, so now I've just got two listings up for different prices, 100% scammer lookin'

If you think Craigslist produces flakes, Offerup is 2x worse

I have done probably a hundred deals on offerup, you do have to take a deep breath sometimes, especially when they are on the fifth question and all five are clearly answered in the description

Top Back Refresh