What's new

CPAP battery back power supply

chaplinfj60

Member Number
Loc
marshalltown iowa
good morning all,

has anyone made or bought a battery back up for their CPAP yet to use when the power fails, or camping or what ever. mine has a small computer in it so i cant just hook 12 volts to it i have to use this. see link.

1677080834393.png

How much do you want to spend and how much room are you willing to spare and how much current does that thing draw? Lots of 12v options out there, If you need it to run through the night that's going to determine how big of a battery you need.

Dakota lithium 10AH battery box is $199, their 60AH is $899. Or there's the portable lithium "generators" like the jackery or just a plain old car battery with a cigarette lighter wired to it. They also make portable CPAP battery packs specifically sold for those units.

cut the end of that cpap 12V cord off and attach whatever connector/clamps you want.

attach to 12V.

that fancy cable looks like it's just got some ferrite chokes on it, probably to keep any ripple or noise from a running alternator from affecting the machine.

I'd bet that if you're just using a battery with no charging input it would run just fine hooked directly up, but the cable isn't expensive so buy one and cut it up.
my brother set up his camping trailer to power my sister in laws cpap. a 100ah lithium battery will run it for days. solar charge it in the daytime. Hers has sermos connectors on the cable to plug into the battery box.

mine has a small computer in it so i cant just hook 12 volts to it i have to use this. see link.
they all have a small computer in them...if you are concerned about the cord being special.. the ferrets are for EMI ( emissions)

on the cheap use a standard car battery, should get you thru multiple nights, battery power is clean so no need to worry about a computer.

buy that cord or make your own, the end on those are not the standard DC ( 2.1 or 2.5) , but should be able to find it at digikey or mouser.

I've used this for Starlink when travelling, perfect for a CPAP too. Handles the wife's hair dryer too :)
jesus 1200 bucks. not thinking the high price yet. but thank you for the idea.

they all have a small computer in them...if you are concerned about the cord being special.. the ferrets are for EMI ( emissions)

on the cheap use a standard car battery, should get you thru multiple nights, battery power is clean so no need to worry about a computer.

buy that cord or make your own, the end on those are not the standard DC ( 2.1 or 2.5) , but should be able to find it at digikey or mouser.

so once i just hooked it to the 12 volt plug and kept getting a error saying not enough voltage. and have not tried it since i got that new cord. sounds lazy i get it.

and i only bring this up today because we have this impending storm with ice dropping in and got me thinking.

jesus 1200 bucks. not thinking the high price yet. but thank you for the idea.

so once i just hooked it to the 12 volt plug and kept getting a error saying not enough voltage. and have not tried it since i got that new cord. sounds lazy i get it.

and i only bring this up today because we have this impending storm with ice dropping in and got me thinking.
battery fully charged?

what's the model number of the unit?
I suppose a boost converter could be hidden in the cable to up the voltage, but man it sure looks like it's just two wires and some chokes.

Electrical (When the heated humidifier is used with a Philips Respironics therapy device) AC Power Consumption (with 80W power supply): 100 – 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 2.0-1.0 A DC Power Consumption: 12 VDC, 6.67 A Type of Protection Against Electric Shock: Class II Equipment Degree of Protection Against Electric Shock: Type BF Applied Part Degree of Protection against Ingress of Water: Drip Proof, IP22 Mode of Operation: Continuous Electromagnetic Compatibility: The device meets the requirements of EN 60601-1-2.

7 amps ain't nothing, but it's not a huge amount either.
it does say straight 12V input voltage.

so i just walked out to my car, ate shit doing so, slipped on the ice. like slick

anyway just tried the cord on the power out let plug and my cpap worked, but my concern is voltage drop. so that's why i think i am leaning toward lithium.

so i just walked out to my car, ate shit doing so, slipped on the ice. like slick

anyway just tried the cord on the power out let plug and my cpap worked, but my concern is voltage drop. so that's why i think i am leaning toward lithium.
if you're not put off by the price a lithium battery is superior in almost every way.
lighter, better power density, better life.
don't try to charge it while it's cold.

I have this battery for my travel CPAP.
It works great for what it is. I was also able to get cord adapters that will plug in to the travel cleaner.
If you are looking for something that you would use at home or for a longer time, like others have said, get a Jackery.

Would a regular computer UPS/Battery Backup work?

I run my modem, router, Sync camera module, and a phone off of an APC Back-UPS pro. It's been very reliable for the occasional power outage.

I have this battery for my travel CPAP.
It works great for what it is. I was also able to get cord adapters that will plug in to the travel cleaner.
If you are looking for something that you would use at home or for a longer time, like others have said, get a Jackery.
that blittle guys keeps the cpap going. wow tiny.. :beer:

I run my modem, router, Sync camera module, and a phone off of an APC Back-UPS pro. It's been very reliable for the occasional power outage.
thats a good question. its worth looking into

A buddy of mine forgot his whole setup for camping. He used my boost pack for jumping batteries for a whole weekend it still had 3 leds out of 4 for a charge indication and I can jump a car with 2 leds usually.

A buddy of mine forgot his whole setup for camping. He used my boost pack for jumping batteries for a whole weekend it still had 3 leds out of 4 for a charge indication and I can jump a car with 2 leds usually.
thats interesting for sure. that would be easy to adapt

This may be a better option.

I'm not CPAP savvy - do they run on AC (straight cord from the wall into the unit) or DC (wall wart/converter into a smaller DC cord to the unit)?

If they run on 12v DC, it would be more efficient to run directly of a 12v battery. But if they need AC or need to convert to a lower voltage then the 120v AC backup would be good.

yes, but going dc-ac-dc again is going to make it significantly less efficient.

I had a thread about this about 18 months ago. I did the math, and the lithium power pack amp hours I needed for 3 nights, even in airplane mode with the warmer off was pretty expensive. Plus, I'd prefer not to have the warmer turned off.

I decided I could buy a lot of gasoline for the price difference between a little inverter generator and the power pack.

I bought the little 900W Sportsman inverter generator from Tractor Supply.

I had a thread about this about 18 months ago. I did the math, and the lithium power pack amp hours I needed for 3 nights, even in airplane mode with the warmer off was pretty expensive. Plus, I'd prefer not to have the warmer turned off.

I decided I could buy a lot of gasoline for the price difference between a little inverter generator and the power pack.

I bought the little 900W Sportsman inverter generator from Tractor Supply.
i agree on the gas vs battery and the cost. it only got me thinking because of this dam ice storm. i also have a small generac whisper gen that i have been using.

ResMed input is 24vdc so the 12v adapter is some how boosting 12 to 24v. Took two 10ah in parallel camping. My CPAP only lasted 4hr with out the humidifier or heater going. Made a flip flop switch to go between 24 12 on my battery pack.12v for solar charger and 24 for running CPAP. Tested it out the other night and had no problems running for 8 hours.
IMG_20230203_133510985.jpg
IMG_20230203_133521043.jpg

Last edited:
I just got a spare cord made it 50’ long put some alligator clips on and go to car battery. I’ve ran for 3 nights in my bedroom took battery out in garage still started my rig. No need to over think this.

The radio, heater, and humidifier all use extra juice and can be turned off, but the pressure your CPAP is set at makes a pretty big difference in power consumption too. Personally I want the humidifier and heater on.

Here's ResMed's battery recommendations.

The great thing about that little generator, it's so quiet you can run it in the bedroom with you, and the fumes help you sleep. :black flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh