What's new

Corona madness results in transfer case Ebrake

Aisin

Grumpy old fuck
Member Number
I am getting ready to swap an FZJ80 rear axle into my 3rd gen. I plan on rotating the pinion up so this will leave the emergency brake cable hanging off the bottom of the housing where it will get destroyed the first time out. To avoid this I decided a transfer case emergency brake would be ideal. I didn’t want to pay $300 for one so I decided to build my own. I’m not a smart fucker but this isn’t exactly rocket science. You need a few basic things to accomplish this. You need a caliper, a disc and a bracket to hold the caliper. Obviously you need a few other things to finish it. First off was sourcing a caliper. After some research I found that the ones in the kits are simple lever actuated calipers from a Cub Cadet lawn mower. I found one in decent shape on EBay for $30.

EAFC16FE-D3EC-46A2-958E-A7FEFAE93784.jpeg

Last edited:
Not much to this thing. Caliper is 7 inches long. The pads are 4.5“ inches long and 1.125” wide.

A563F170-6DF2-489B-A06C-4961371D3D39.jpeg

Next up you need a disc. Dethmachinefab cut me one out of .250” plate. Disc is 7.5” the center is 2.25”.

67EF0161-42DB-4EF8-83EF-484B1E8D1A5A.jpeg

Last edited:
Off to a good start. Next is the bracket to hold the caliper. Not sure when I’ll get to that as the old lady has me busy around the house with painting and other projects. Thanks to Dethmachinefab for cutting the disc for me.

ECEFB1D0-95BC-4627-84FB-1BDEF6CE97D6.jpeg

Good stuff, keep posting ad you go along. I need an ebrake solution to pass state vehicle inspection and also having an FJ80 axle I have the same concerns. I was just going to tank it all off between inspections l, but if this allows me to avoid it then sweet!

Nice. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. That caliper looks a lot bigger than the Air hart go-kart caliper on my Tacoma.

Good stuff, keep posting ad you go along. I need an ebrake solution to pass state vehicle inspection and also having an FJ80 axle I have the same concerns. I was just going to tank it all off between inspections l, but if this allows me to avoid it then sweet!

I will definitely update this. My friend says he has a piece of .250 plate to build the mount for the caliper. So far I’m only $30 into it. I’m guessing I can put this together for under $100 by the time I buy the required hardware to finish it.

I think I am going to do this to my 4runner. I moved the axle too far back to have the e brake cables work. And it would be less work than making custom longer ones.

I have a t case e brake on my 84. It works fucking great.

Good work aisin. Keep pics coming

After some research I found that the ones in the kits are simple lever actuated calipers from a John Deere lawn mower. I found one in decent shape on EBay for $30.

Any more-specific on the caliper? JD part number, model it's used on, anything like that? I found one similar on a Ditch Witch a while back but never made it a priority to chase. Ditch Witch part number 163-209. My local DW dealer says about $200 for it, I assume that's full list + basic freight.

photo30913.jpg

photo30914.jpg

photo30915.jpg

photo30916.jpg

Last edited:
this got me inspired to go out and adjust my tcase brake so it will hold the truck again

Top Back Refresh