What's new

cordless soldering iron

A_G

Semi-Controlled rage
Member Number
Loc
Tahlequah, OK
my butane soldering iron isnt working well.
Ive got a snap on one

i had it replaced once and now this one is out of warranty.

Im having issues with it lighting in lower temps and when the humidity is high. I have heated the tip with a small torch and sometimes it will light and heater after that but that has become a less reliable solution lately.

so im looking for a replacement

Butane is not out of the question but ive never had a battery powered soldering iron, either corded or butane thats it.

I looked at the m12 milwaukee but alot of the reviews talk about them melting after continuous use. If i chalked it up to in correct use id still haft to buy a battery and charger (134$ kit)

Does any body have suggestions?

My BIL has the m12 soldering iron. It works great, although it takes several seconds to get to temp and isn't as hot as a plug in unit. It is way more convenient.

I recommend getting the full kit. That way you have the box to keep all your solder and heat shrink with it.

I've been eyeballing the ryobi one - just because I already have the batteries. I also keep a 12v cigarette liter one in the rig for long wheeling trips. That's saved me ass a time or two and well worth the $8 I spent on it. I can plug it in to my jump pack and make it "cordless". Of course none of them are anywhere near as good as my wired soldering station.

I have the m12 and a portasol. Both are great, but the m12 is a little easier to use. I only solder with the portasol when the m12 is too bulky or the angles are funky. The m12 weighs, I don’t know, 5 times what the portasol does, so sometimes you have no choice. I haven’t had any issues with either one.

I typically keep a heating end on the portasol—solder with the m12, heat shrink with the portasol. Neither of them can hold a candle to a corded bench top unit. They work great up to about 10 gauge wire.

I have the m12 and a portasol. Both are great, but the m12 is a little easier to use. I only solder with the portasol when the m12 is too bulky or the angles are funky. The m12 weighs, I don’t know, 5 times what the portasol does, so sometimes you have no choice. I haven’t had any issues with either one.

I typically keep a heating end on the portasol—solder with the m12, heat shrink with the portasol. Neither of them can hold a candle to a corded bench top unit. They work great up to about 10 gauge wire.

Seems like whenever I need to solder something outdoors it's big dumb wires in the cold so it's either an inverter or extension cord and the big 'ol veiny 80w Weller.

the portasol is what snap on rebadges and i currently have. it worked great up until this year had it probably 3 years now

in fact here what i have, i guess they dont make it anymore
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAP-ON-YA...811219&hash=item3b510e11b7:g:biUAAOSwYL9fmvm4

the part number comes up portasol psl100k

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh