What's new

Cool linkage software

Exactly. I use Fusion, but something like that would be beyond my Fusion skills right now.

You've seen all the weird moving parts I've built and honestly I've found that the simplest form of 2d ACAD has been the easiest. I just draw a bunch of circles based around the hinges at the start and the stop and then just use intersecting arcs to pick paths and adjust lengths. Use a couple of colors to show different positions.

A kid that used to help me in the shop back years ago at my old place came up and visited this past weekend. He has a job as a 3D designer for a large compressor company (Like entire shipping container is one unit and they stack and bolt them in series) and he said that he still has no idea how I design in 2D cad to make 3D parts... We have become too dependent on fancy tools sometimes. I know I am dependent on my CNC plasma table because I tried cutting free hand the other day and it was just gross.

You've seen all the weird moving parts I've built and honestly I've found that the simplest form of 2d ACAD has been the easiest. I just draw a bunch of circles based around the hinges at the start and the stop and then just use intersecting arcs to pick paths and adjust lengths. Use a couple of colors to show different positions.

A kid that used to help me in the shop back years ago at my old place came up and visited this past weekend. He has a job as a 3D designer for a large compressor company (Like entire shipping container is one unit and they stack and bolt them in series) and he said that he still has no idea how I design in 2D cad to make 3D parts... We have become too dependent on fancy tools sometimes. I know I am dependent on my CNC plasma table because I tried cutting free hand the other day and it was just gross.
I learned doing 2d drawings and still can, good enough.

But I have definitely gotten used to spinning the part so I can visualize it better.

I don't know if that software is gonna be useful or not. I fucked with it today and didn't really ever get a grasp on WTF I was doing...

Top Back Refresh