What's new

Converting steel frame 2 horse trailer to small car hauler

Provience

Kill!
Member Number
Loc
Gatesville, TX
Considering buying a 2 horse trailer that had a tree fall on the roof for ~$400. dual 3500lb axles with ~6' deck width, worthwhile to pick up and chop all the structure off and redeck to drag the wifes ~4000lb car around behind the motorhome?

Well, what's the frame look like underneath?

Does it have enough frame, or was the roof and sides part of the structure?

how wide is the wife's car?

it might be worthwhile to make a pipe top trailer if it'll suit your needs

what's the title and tags gonna cost, or is that a bonus?

I can get a new pipe top trailer, new axles, new tires, for 2300 otd

If your horse trailer is too "wrong" to start with, you could easily be in 2k and have a worse trailer, or, if the trailer is suitable, you could have a nice finished trailer for 1k

Well, what's the frame look like underneath?

Does it have enough frame, or was the roof and sides part of the structure?

how wide is the wife's car?

it might be worthwhile to make a pipe top trailer if it'll suit your needs

what's the title and tags gonna cost, or is that a bonus?

I can get a new pipe top trailer, new axles, new tires, for 2300 otd

If your horse trailer is too "wrong" to start with, you could easily be in 2k and have a worse trailer, or, if the trailer is suitable, you could have a nice finished trailer for 1k

frame is not full of holes, but not new. probably 4" C from pictures

wifes car, just looked it up, is ~62" wide. damn, close

title and tags is a non issue.

2300? damn, that is cheaper than i expected to hear for new. i might have to go check out some new options, if nothing else it would get me a few years more out of the tires. Looking at this thing, it would need the top chopped and a new deck fitted, fenders modified so that the car could either drive over them or the tires directly, tires are old and should be replaced, and then obviously servicing wheel bearing and probably replacing...fuck, probably need to redo the wiring at that point.

alright, i'll go look at some new ones :laughing: thanks for the thoughts!

It's not that it can't be made into something usable, it's just that for your needs the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze

It's not that it can't be made into something usable, it's just that for your needs the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze

yeah that is probably true, but that is also why i asked :beer:

i've been pricing out just buying axles and building my own and it keeps ending up ~$1500, and then i'd have to spend the time to actually do it :eek:

Top Back Refresh