What's new

Computer tech for a novice in CC

DRTDEVL

Mothfukle
Member Number
Loc
Austin... TX? Nope. Minnesota!
OK, my laptop died the middle of last week... woke up one morning and it was off (left on the night before). Wouldn't power up. I checked the power supply, 19.6v coming out, so that's ruled out. I flipped it over and pulled the one access cover, and I could smell the burn near the fan/power transformer area, so it's pooched.

I went online and found the same model as mine for sale, used, for an OK price (not a slamming deal, but about 1/3 of the new cost). I bought it and I am waiting for it to come in.

My spec vs. the new spec:

256gb SSD - 1tb HDD
8gb RAM - 16 gb RAM
Core i7 - Core i7 (not sure any further, but appear to be the same on the surface of the specs)

Here's the question: If I plug my SSD into the new laptop, fire it up, change the boot drive to the SSD, will it load everything like my old laptop, just in a new case? I have ALL of my business stuff on there, so that would be easiest. If this won't work, would the laptop recognize the drive, rename it D:, and allow me to access all my files while running off the 1tb HDD instead?

Obviously I'd rather stick with the 256gb SSD as the primary operational drive and make the 1TB HDD an additional storage drive.

As for my level of experience, I got out of the game almost 15 years ago. My last foray into computers was when I built a PC in 2006 with an AMD dual-core 3800+ processor running a dual-boot XP and Ubuntu, so things have changed just a wee bit since then.

And yes, I need to find a better backup than manually storing on an external... because I don't do it every day.

With a comparable OS and such I see no issue.
I would make a backup copy for the laptop you are about to receive, should something go amiss you will have a plan B.
As for the extra drive purchase hard drive enclosure on Amazon and such (some support both HDD/SSD). They cost $10 or so...

With a comparable OS and such I see no issue.
I would make a backup copy for the laptop you are about to receive, should something go amiss you will have a plan B.
As for the extra drive purchase hard drive enclosure on Amazon and such (some support both HDD/SSD). They cost $10 or so...

Both are Win10 64

Top Back Refresh