What's new

Compact Tractor Tuning

Smithy

Shrunken Member
Member Number
Loc
Syracuse NY
I'm in the market for a new to me small tractor in the 40-50 horse range. Seems like the older pre emission stuff is selling for higher than it should be right now, with a newer tier 4 model being a comparable if not less expensive option. My question is there a tune or delete kit to remove the particulate filter for tractors in this range? Google searching only turns up full size tractors, combines, and skid steers that I've found. The main reason being the ability to run WMO fuel. I've been using it for years, even in common rail engines, with minimal issue.

So what is out there? I haven't nailed down a brand or model as of yet.

Show me the economic case for running a tier 4 tractor on extrude honing fluid when #2 diesel is under $2 a gallon.

Fuel is more expensive in the peoples republic of NY, and will most likely rise.

even if you buy offroad diesel?

cause you shouldn't be paying road taxes for equipment.

Correct, the red stuff. Assuming it is more cost effective to buy dyed #2 now I doubt it will be that way in a decade. There will also come a time when the filter plugs up and has to be replaced. Deleting the filer and egr aren't something that necessarily have to be done immediately, I'm more interested in what options are out there when the time comes. But its not looking like there is an aftermarket remedy at this point.

i haven not seen an aftermarket for this kinda thing. if I did I would have a b3350 cab.

Interested in seeing a solution. But an all mechanical diesel, with loader, in decent shape is $10-12k. But my idea of a compact isnt 40 horse. Thats MF 23x size, Compact is ~20.

Fuck you and your cheap diesel $3.50 here in the land of the all night communist.

Do us a favor and continue paying taxes in that shithole :flipoff2: never leave, everywhere sucks.

Interested in seeing a solution. But an all mechanical diesel, with loader, in decent shape is $10-12k. But my idea of a compact isnt 40 horse. Thats MF 23x size, Compact is ~20.

That's a lawnmower :flipoff2:

That's a lawnmower :flipoff2:

You take that back!

[Untitled].jpg

I thought for sure I was going to debunk your notion that buying an electronically controlled tractor was a better idea than buying a mechanically injected one. Spent a fair amount of time shopping everywhere I knew to look and couldn't find a single running tractor w/loader within 100 miles of me between 20 and 110 hp between 1970 and 2000. Used newer Kubotas New Hollands Bransons and John Deere's are almost the same prices as new. With zero percent interest (I know - I know :homer:) it does actually look like if I needed a new tractor tomorrow that new is a better option than used. I recently bid 13K for a tractor I didn't want hoping for a decent deal, it sold for $16,600 which is more than it's worth. Looks like people in the know figured out that they better hang onto the good ol mechanically injected easy to repair reliable tractors. Actionfab actually did pretty good on his Yanmar, throw some paint on that thing and he could probably quadruple his investment in it.

I'm positive that I could get 7 grand for a ford 1210 with 2K hours on it.
which is crazy since I can buy a larger machine for less money, but the baby tractor segment is fucking crazy for some reason.

I'm positive that I could get 7 grand for a ford 1210 with 2K hours on it.
which is crazy since I can buy a larger machine for less money, but the baby tractor segment is fucking crazy for some reason.

Every market segment that attracts yuppies is crazy.

Every market segment that attracts yuppies is crazy.

This, need to step out of the homo who can haul with their F150 and pipetop 16ft segment to get your money's worth. Once you get up and over a 10k lbs machine prices start to drop.

Go to a farm/estate auction. The little shit will sell for more than the good size tractors.

This, need to step out of the homo who can haul with their F150 and pipetop 16ft segment to get your money's worth. Once you get up and over a 10k lbs machine prices start to drop.

Go to a farm/estate auction. The little shit will sell for more than the good size tractors.

Nice things cost money.

Really is crazy. I've got a B21 with loader and backhoe and I''ve used the everloving piss out of it. I'm confident I could sell it for more today than I bought it for 5 years ago.

Actual thought regarding OP's question, if you had a specific model in mind see if you can find the grey market equivalent tractor or engine and see if those ecu's can be sourced, or if they are identical engines with mechanical pump and injectors.

Actual thought regarding OP's question, if you had a specific model in mind see if you can find the grey market equivalent tractor or engine and see if those ecu's can be sourced, or if they are identical engines with mechanical pump and injectors.

That's a good point since most of those engines are made overseas for a global market in other applications. Has to be something out there.

Tried to do some gray market cross referencing and finding it impossible. Anybody got any idea on how to find what machines cross over?

I don’t think you’re going to burn a ton of fuel with that machine. Even if diesel is $4.00 gallon You would be hard pressed to spend $60.00 a day in fuel. If it’s a casual yard rig a tank will last you a long time.

I don’t think you’re going to burn a ton of fuel with that machine. Even if diesel is $4.00 gallon You would be hard pressed to spend $60.00 a day in fuel. If it’s a casual yard rig a tank will last you a long time.

We've got a 75HP john deere and till 8-10 acres of food plots with it, we have a hard time burning 10-12 gallons in a day and that's running a 72" PTO tiller with the engine at 2200RPM. At full load she's rated at ~4gal/hr and I'd guess with our setup we use 2-3gal/hr

When I worked on the Masseys at the dealer level we had some 40hp tractors with $2800 fuel injectors for cleaning the DPF. I can't tell you how pissed I would be paying those tickets on that class of tractor.

If the engine is common rail with ECM you are probably fucked but if you wanted to try and delete my suggestion would be to look at the older version of the engine and see if you can retro convert the controls back to pre emissions parts. That way you don't need any custom programming just standard parts for non emissions engine.

Top Back Refresh