What's new

Circular Saw Blade For 4.5in Grinder

CDA 455 II

ANFAQUE2
Member Number
Loc
No Country For Old Men
I have a Milwaukee 4.5in angle grinder and want to buy a saw blade to cut wood.

I'm on Amazon looking at said blades; one is a chainsaw blade.

Any recommendation(s) on blades?

Chainsaw blade?

61A1yFMSxSL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

General purpose blade?

61boQCkxqYL._SL1200_.jpg

It'll be used for general purpose woodcutting.

Have the chainsaw blade setup , it very actively removes anything in its path be it wood or flesh.

And the standard blade have used with an arbor in a die grinder with good results.

But use extreme caution as these things tend to go sideways real easy and can have drastic results.

Have the chainsaw blade setup , it very actively removes anything in its path be it wood or flesh.

And the standard blade have used with an arbor in a die grinder with good results.

But use extreme caution as these things tend to go sideways real easy and can have drastic results.
'
Yeah; if I do get a blade, I think I'll invest in chainsaw chaps.:eek:

I have a buddy who does carpentry wood working jobs. He bought one of those chainsaw wheels and liked it a lot until one day it cut and dug in causing it to twist out of his hands and when it was in its twisting motion it turned around and bit both of his hands pretty good. He’s very lucky it didn’t do any serious damage just superficial

It’s been a few years ago now and I can’t remember the whole story of how he was using it. I figured if I ever got one I’d have the side handle in it and a good hold on it at all times.

I use this for cutting plastic and rubber sometimes. It's definitely not ideal but it fits some places that a circular saw can't and doesn't require things be held as rigidly as a reciprocating saw. If you're one of the idiots who uses an angle grinder with one hand you're almost certainly going to lose a finger at some point doing it.

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 12.47.57 PM.png

Either one of those attachments could slice your arm 1/2 way thru in seconds as well so, keep a solid grip or body parts be flying.

'
Yeah; if I do get a blade, I think I'll invest in chainsaw chaps.:eek:

giggles in hemophilia

some of you guys are nuts. :laughing:

I have a Milwaukee 4.5in angle grinder and want to buy a saw blade to cut wood.

I'm on Amazon looking at said blades; one is a chainsaw blade.

Any recommendation(s) on blades?

Chainsaw blade?

61A1yFMSxSL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

General purpose blade?

61boQCkxqYL._SL1200_.jpg

It'll be used for general purpose woodcutting.
These look like tools you give to someone that you don’t like. If the grinder had variable speed, the chain saw looks good for carving, but running full out, nah.

I can taste the metal just by looking at the pictures.

These look like tools you give to someone that you don’t like. If the grinder had variable speed, the chain saw looks good for carving, but running full out, nah.
You bring up a good point;
I have a homemade dimmer switch set up for my Dremel tool.

One end plugs into the power outlet/the other end the Dremel plugs into/ and in the middle is the dimmer switch-knob that I can turn to vary the Dremel's RPMs.

What safe/effective RPMs would one run the chainsaw blade at?

Just did a little search;
Chainsaws run at similar RPMs as grinders! :eek:
Yeah, but seems the ergonomics are so different in the tool design. I dunno, the chain saw in the grinder just doesn’t seem like enough control for my comfort level. Maybe running that 4.5” size in a bigger machine (Like the 7-9“ size) would give more control with bigger handles and such and the weight.

Maybe it’s that chainsaw is run at the end of your arm, whereas the grinder is usually done up close near the body. Grinder saw just ain’t for me.

Outside of carving, I don’t see any practical use for a 2” long chainsaw

From what I've seen, those chain blades for the grinder or more for carving and not really for cutting - as in you use them like a really aggressive flap disc and not like a cutoff wheel.

Did you account for the sprocket diameter of the chainsaw? PieD adds up in a big fucking hurry, although I can't get people at work to understand that (I spend my days listening to 7/8 diameter unibits spinning on cordless drills in second gear):homer:

Chainsaw: (taken from some website)

1. 3/8 x 2=3/4 or 0.75
  2. 0.75 x 7 (number of teeth on sprocket) = 5.25.
  3. 5.25 x 12,000 (saw RPM) = 63,000 inches per minute
Grinder: (mathed it out myself, so might not be right...)

3.14x4.5=14.3 inches circumfrence
14.3x10000rpm= 141,300 inches per minute

Did you account for the sprocket diameter of the chainsaw? PieD adds up in a big fucking hurry, although I can't get people at work to understand that (I spend my days listening to 7/8 diameter unibits spinning on cordless drills in second gear):homer:
We just changed a gear box at work and i had to repeatedly explain to my boss that when going from a 20:1 to a 24:1 we should need to speed the drive UP not slow it down.

This is also the same guy that couldnt graps how changing a single sprocket on shaft of 7 would only speed up the 1 chain not all of them

Top Back Refresh