What's new

Cheaper than Harbor Freight! Am I gunna die?

[memphis]

Web wheeler
Member Number
So... bets on this thing killing me? Just using it to install pinion bearings. Should show up end of next week

$100 USD is scary cheap. I can’t even build it for that. I I suspect I will need to brace lower legs.

photo22193.png

I tried using that same one to dimple die some 1/8 plate. If I remember right the pins bent causing everything to spring and twist scaring the shit out of me.

Have the same one from princess auto (literally Canada's version of harbor freight), mines doing good after 3yrs but my advice is to replace the pins before you even try to use it.

Have the same one from princess auto (literally Canada's version of harbor freight), mines doing good after 3yrs but my advice is to replace the pins before you even try to use it.

Thanks for the advice. Did you just buy cold rolled and cut to length or should I be sourcing some kind of hardened material?

[memphis said:
;n124364]

Thanks for the advice. Did you just buy cold rolled and cut to length or should I be sourcing some kind of hardened material?

I just used some hard bolts after I blew it apart.

[memphis said:
;n124364]

Go to Tractor Supply, Menards, Amazon, or your favorite "farm store" and get some grade 5 hitch pins such as this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S6L9LG/?tag=91812054244-20 (but in the right diameter and length).

Aaron Z

[memphis said:
;n124364]

We had some cold rolled at work that fit just fine so I cut it and made pins out of them. But like what Aaron said any grade 5 hitch pin would work too

[memphis said:
;n124364]

Rebar? I would think it's harder than cold rolled but not sure.

Looks the same as the HF press BUT it appears it has steel plates instead of the shitty cast plates the HF presses come with.

The horror freight now has steel laser cut plates. It works but jesus it is a bit scarry when you are pushing it. The whole press creeks and twists as it loads, I replaced all bots with grade 8s.

The horror freight now has steel laser cut plates. It works but jesus it is a bit scarry when you are pushing it. The whole press creeks and twists as it loads, I replaced all bots with grade 8s.

I have a 20ton HF press; fucker came with cheap pot-metal plates. Made some nice plates out of 1" cold-rolled. I have plans to replace the push pin with a shaft that can be guided with a bearing slides.:smokin:

Just throw a couple .5 extensions in there....

Make sure they're from HF though:grinpimp:

I use stress proof steel to make pins. What is that? Idk it's what the local machine shop said to use :homer:

Just order the 50 ton press from HF. I have used and abused the shit out of mine and it's held up great! I regularly press things to 30 tons and up. I've maxxed it a few times just because.

I'd think that press would work mostly OK for what you're intending it for.

You could also install the same bearings with a chunk of tube and a hammer, so the press doesn't have a really hard task anyway. ;)

Fuck those cast plates. I blew one apart pressing wheel studs. About shit my pants when she let go.

They haven't sold a press with the cast plates in years.

Correct. That press has been in my uncles shop for 20 years probably. He’s a small engine mechanic that never needed all 20 tons.

I bought the HF 20 ton last year when it was on sale for less than $150.
it definitely has cut steel plates.

it hasn't broken yet, but i've only used it for some wheel studs and some hydraulic shaft bearings and shit.

Top Back Refresh