What's new

Cheap crawler hauler?

Arickvan

PBB transfer
Member Number
Loc
Oakley CA
Anyone have any experience with genesis trailers?

Just saw there overnighter model is around $25k which is cheaper than a brand new lance camper
I'm sure they only intended rzrs to go on it but if the gvwr matches up it would be a good setup for me

Axles look like they might be too far forward tho

Thoughts? I've got a 1st Gen 4runner and the eventual next project is V10 f350

Carlos--Cardona---20190930_090621.jpg

32ft bumper pull one trick pony? No thank you. I'd rather have a badass <$10k trailer and a $15k slide in.

I thinks it's fucking badass!!!!

I've never owned a toy hauler/camper/trailer and never will, so my opinions are shit here....like always
Still, I strangely really like the looks of these. That's a sweet little party deck when it's not holding toys

I know a few people that have built their own versions for less than that by a decent bit. 2 of them used newer slide in campers anchored down to the front of the deck and the other used a 20' bumper pull mounted permanently to the deck.

That's a pretty light unit, I'd never have a use for it.

I thinks it's fucking badass!!!!

I've never owned a toy hauler/camper/trailer and never will, so my opinions are shit here....like always
Still, I strangely really like the looks of these. That's a sweet little party deck when it's not holding toys

:homer:Great party spot, right up until Jennifer gets too drunk like always and falls off the fucker splitting her head open on a rock like a coconut...

They're not cool looking imo, the proportions are all off. The axles are too far forward, the camper looks kinda tardly on the front, and the fact that the deck has a mini side that is painted like the ghey little camper is extra stupid:rolleyes:

I'm in the same camp... Cheap RV (1980 Minnie Winnie with a 440) and cheap-ish trailer (2018 WOW that was under $5k OTD with some upgrades like e-track, spare tire/mount, etc; or the 2018 PJ Car Hauler that was $2400 OTD with spare due to it being a demo unit).

Way more versatile. Way more capable. Way less money.

RV Trailer.jpg

Goose neck, slide in, aluminum canopy that mounts on the stake pockets. Privacy curtain, plywood collapsible box with a heavy tarp liner and a heater coil to go in the woodstove on the deck.

Unload the wheeler, set up the hot tub, profit.

So, the OP should scrap his idea because it will be way over stickered weight....and then pick up one of these other RV/trailer combos that will be way over weight?

I mean, I love the whole towing with the RV thing. And it is versatile. But it's not very capable, if you follow weight ratings.

Alright I guess I'll keep shopping around
I was curious if someone was going to say "genesis RVs are super well built and tag there gvwrs lower than what they're built for"

Alright I guess I'll keep shopping around
I was curious if someone was going to say "genesis RVs are super well built and tag there gvwrs lower than what they're built for"

I tried asking those questions on a FB post a couple months ago. A local salesman at a dealer that carries that brand called me a troll and offered up a single potato pic of a stock looking 3rd Gen 4Runner loaded on one. I won’t ever be going to that dealer group ever. :flipoff2:

So, the OP should scrap his idea because it will be way over stickered weight....and then pick up one of these other RV/trailer combos that will be way over weight?

I mean, I love the whole towing with the RV thing. And it is versatile. But it's not very capable, if you follow weight ratings.

It is hard to find a motorhome that is rated to haul more than 5k lbs, but they're out there. That's why I have my big ugly instead of a fancy newer class c.

This is the proper way to build one of those....

I got pulled back to camp at Smorr by a cool guy that had a rockwell buggy and one of those. He said his was one of the first ones built and it was one the company used in the advertisements. It was a Bloomer or Sundowner. One of those horse trailer camper companies.

It was definitely high quality looking and lots of storage under where the wheeler parks. That three feet of platform under the deck behind the camper is all storage.

It is hard to find a motorhome that is rated to haul more than 5k lbs, but they're out there. That's why I have my big ugly instead of a fancy newer class c.

They're all built on 1-ton or better vans. They can all move the weight safely if the extra frame length isn't a ghetto abomination. They rate them low because they know the frame extension is crap.

They're all built on 1-ton or better vans. They can all move the weight safely if the extra frame length isn't a ghetto abomination. They rate them low because they know the frame extension is crap.

Also helps if you slap a juiced up cummins 12v, allison 2200, and some new big ass disc brakes under it :grinpimp:

That's no shit. After cool desert nights one year my brother got a call from a local to help a guy that had a "hitch issue" on an rv. The dude had a big bad ass rv pulling an aluminum air ride car trailer with a baller 56 chevy on it. The frame extension broke completely on one side and bent on the other side. My brother pulled the trailer back to his place and the rv followed to get fixed, it was a full on shit show of fabrimuhcobulation design on that tail end of a 200k rv. :homer:

Last edited:
The genisis campers are pretty sweet and can be had in a variety of configurations. I almost ordered the one with the rear door with the back dinette and pull down queen bed over top as it would easily sleep 4. If you call around you can usually find a delar to sell you one around $23,000. A lot of people hauling crawlers order the 10kgvw package and then add a 3rd axle behind the front 2 and they are supposed to do well.

The low tow ratings of motor homes is why I ended up with a new one. Class C’s can now be found rated to 7500#. They still don’t like bitch weight, because of the long rear overhangs. I bought the one with the shortest overhang, longest wheelbase I could find. And Winnebago actually does a pretty good job with the frame extension.

But even if you’re not worried about snapping off the frame extension, there’s a real limit to tongue weight. The overhang means that a 650lb tongue weight translates to 1200 lbs of rear axle weight and 550 lb of weight OFF the steer tires. Since it’s a Ford I-beam front end, this changes caster quite a bit, and therefore makes it wander at speed.
Harry Johnson —is yours a pusher? If not, it’s truly an odd beast if it’s an old class A that is stickered for hardly any tow weight.

Sorry to continue the derail, OP. I personally love the way my wife and I solved this same issue with the class C and trailer, but every single solution has its compromises, of course.

The genisis campers are pretty sweet and can be had in a variety of configurations. I almost ordered the one with the rear door with the back dinette and pull down queen bed over top as it would easily sleep 4. If you call around you can usually find a delar to sell you one around $23,000. A lot of people hauling crawlers order the 10kgvw package and then add a 3rd axle behind the front 2 and they are supposed to do well.

aha! thanks!

my dreams arent crushed yet :laughing:

The low tow ratings of motor homes is why I ended up with a new one. Class C’s can now be found rated to 7500#. They still don’t like bitch weight, because of the long rear overhangs. I bought the one with the shortest overhang, longest wheelbase I could find. And Winnebago actually does a pretty good job with the frame extension.

But even if you’re not worried about snapping off the frame extension, there’s a real limit to tongue weight. The overhang means that a 650lb tongue weight translates to 1200 lbs of rear axle weight and 550 lb of weight OFF the steer tires. Since it’s a Ford I-beam front end, this changes caster quite a bit, and therefore makes it wander at speed.
Harry Johnson —is yours a pusher? If not, it’s truly an odd beast if it’s an old class A that is stickered for hardly any tow weight.

Sorry to continue the derail, OP. I personally love the way my wife and I solved this same issue with the class C and trailer, but every single solution has its compromises, of course.

the only thing that steers me away from going class C and trailer is the gas motor, and i cant afford one with a diesel:laughing:

somehow theres a mountain to cross for any trip i do, hwy 80 donner pass, hwy 5 grapevine, hwy 99 tehachapi, hwy 50 whatever that pass is called :laughing:

It's my ugly unicorn. Motor is in the front. Originally had a dodge 440 in it. Previous owner swapped in the motor, tranny, and new fancy rear end. Company went out of business I think the year after this was built. It's gnarly though, it barely squats with 60 gallons of water sitting behind the rear axle and flatbed with jeep on it with no load distribution hitch.

It actually rides like there's no suspension at all if the water tank is empty and I'm not towing anything. 😂

Most of the people that don't understand get the "I need to tow my junk to the hammers" reasoning can't figure out why I sold our fancy airstream and bought this thing.

Top Back Refresh