What's new

Charlotte N.C. anyone from there ?

an old boss moved to the greater charlotte area and is constantly trying to convince me to move out there. thats all i got

I live an hour north of there and drive through there once a week to visit my other site in SC. The people suck ass at driving and the downtown itself is pretty small, if you are used to big city's. Decent amount of wheeling within a 5hr radius of the area. Other than that its the standard large city suburban shit.

Last edited:
Rock Hill was a pretty smallish border town when I last visited in the 90's but I'm sure a lot has changed since then. Charlotte is a huge sprawling metropolis with traffic issues. Several Highways converge in or near it and it can be a confusing mess. It is in the Foothills of NC so the mountains are not far to the West.

Concord is a neat smaller town nearby. Uwharrie is a couple hours to the east and has wheeling near the National Forest.

That is all I've got. Other than if you make it out this way we should have a NC meet & greet. :flipoff2:

We live 45 mins west of Charlotte and would recomend the SC side if you are gonna work in Rock Hill. And like Slander said there is lots of wheeling within 4-5 hours. Good place to live imop--been in this area my entire 63 years.:usa:

If you're gonna be in Rock Hill I'm gonna need you to piss on a building and a grave while you are there.

PRE Covid:

Depending on where you are coming from Charlette can be kind expensive if you go out a lot. The hot chicks can make up for it.

It has it's typical big city things to do- museums, fancy bars, good food, music venues, Hendrix motor sports, tours etc. I use to goto the city a lot when I owned NFL tickets, but not anymore.

Carowinds is a small-ish amusement park between rock hill and the city.

Rock Hill itself is meh. Typical chain restaurants, sports bars, lows/walmart probably.. not much excitement.

There is an ATV/SXS park about an hour south that is decent but kinda pricy... Carolina Adventure World.

Last edited:
Highways are always under construction. You can hit a dead stop highway traffic jam any time day or night.

Fucked up drivers and constant road construction ? Louisiana has that covered.

We drove through there last September on our way to Asheville, I don't recall it being any worse than anything else.

Turns out the job is actually in Manning SC. So I flew into Charlotte and drove down there yesterday and am flying home now. What a shit hole and literally, in the middle of nothing. lol

Not sure the coin for a few months is worth it, there are no extended stay places and everything is super expensive because its Golf country.

Buddy just moved there and i visited the area a few months back. didn't see any reason i wouldnt like it there. only that there seems to be alot of libbies in the city,

We moved to CLT almost 2 years ago.

1st off, Rock Hill is a solid 20 minute drive from the outskirts of CLT, might as well be 50 miles away. Rock Hill is its own thing. Rural small town setup. Pretty quiet overall with nothing really out of the ordinary. On the flipside, not a lot to do overall. Downtown CLT sucks and for the most part is closed. Food here is ok (compared to Atlanta) and also not a whole lot going on. Its easing up, though. People say Charlotte is the "biggest little city" or whatever. Has small town feel but its big.

Decent outdoor activities in the region. If you bring your 4x4, next month Uwharrie National Forest opens. Its the main area for 4x4. Gulches ORV park is also a standard but pretty small. Both are great for a day trip. Many public lands in upstate SC so if you like dirt/sand road bombing, you gonna be in heaven. Beer scene in the area has grown and north of CLT, the wine scene has really taken off. All the old NASCAR guys opened vineyards.

White Water center is great if you like to paddle or mountain bike. Also great to just go, chill, and watch people wreck their shit in the water. $6 to park per day though, which sucks but you can bring in...whatever. Don't bring in a fucking canopy and 5 coolers though.

Mountains of NC are decent but right now crowded AF. Not much 4x4 but if you like hiking or mountain biking its pretty legit.

Greenville, SC is also legit and not too bad far away. Spartanburg sucks, don't go there.

You aren't too far from Myrtle beach. But don't go *to* Myrtle beach. Go south of there. Actual Myrtle beach is a shit show, unless you like shit shows, then its your jam. But lots of chill places.

Lake Wylie is your local lake if you like the boats or fishing.

Overall you'll be fine. They trying to spruce up Rock Hill as its somewhat of a suburb or CLT. Lots of Industry there on its own.

Bring a mountain bike, and we can certainly fix you up up here in the north-and-west of Charlotte area.

Turns out the job is actually in Manning SC. So I flew into Charlotte and drove down there yesterday and am flying home now. What a shit hole and literally, in the middle of nothing. lol

Not sure the coin for a few months is worth it, there are no extended stay places and everything is super expensive because its Golf country.

Rual SC is definitely an experience.

I've got a friend about an hour from charlotte motor speedway he moved down from binghamton a few years ago. He likes it.

I have no use for anything in NC east of about Hickory. I was the same way in CO. East of Golden and it's a firm no thanks from me. If it ain't mountains or the closest place to get something from the mountains then I'm out.

Done a lot of work there, nothing really stands out other than typical NC bullshit. Worst drivers in the country. Cops are dicks and heavily enforce traffic laws, especially speeding. Like pull you over for 1 over enforcement. Highways are always covered in fake construction zones to increase fines.

If you're there for 3 months and have to stay in hotels, stay at the Drury. It's fairly inexpensive, nice, beds are comfortable and they do dinner nightly with 2 free drinks. Every time I've stayed there I've just tipped the bartenders and they've hooked me up with unlimited drinks. Think there was only one once that wouldn't do it.

Manning SC, as in right off I-95 Manning SC? That's a right decent way from Charlotte.

Duane

Manning SC, as in right off I-95 Manning SC? That's a right decent way from Charlotte.

Duane

Yes and yes it was, 2.5 hr drive. Area was not my cup of tea though at all. I can't find any decent extended stay places which means I'd have to rent a small place and furnish it. Way more trouble than its worth.

Shop was great, job would be great. I like working temp to hire jobs, I just don't take the job.

If you're there for 3 months and have to stay in hotels, stay at the Drury. It's fairly inexpensive, nice, beds are comfortable and they do dinner nightly with 2 free drinks. Every time I've stayed there I've just tipped the bartenders and they've hooked me up with unlimited drinks. Think there was only one once that wouldn't do it.

The one by Northlake Mall? Definitely great for CLT area, I've probably spent 30+ nights there at my last job traveling to HQ. The nightly thing was nice (plus the free popcorn) and tons of good restaurants/bars within walking distance. Seemed like there were always out-of-town crews staying there who were usually fun to bullshit around with.

The one by Northlake Mall? Definitely great for CLT area, I've probably spent 30+ nights there at my last job traveling to HQ. The nightly thing was nice (plus the free popcorn) and tons of good restaurants/bars within walking distance. Seemed like there were always out-of-town crews staying there who were usually fun to bullshit around with.

Yeah exactly. We got to the point where we wouldnt even take jobs in Charlotte if we couldn't get rooms there lol
There's a Friday's or Ruby Tuesday or something basically in the parking lot.

Last thing I did down there was a Chipotle at some nearby strip mall. Next to some pizza place and by a Target iirc.

Top Back Refresh