What's new

Cel time?

rockdog57

Getto fab garage owner
Member Number
Loc
Lindon, Utah
How long does a cel have to be on for the pcm to store a code? My 01 7.3 super duty has a cel that will flash on then off until it is up to operating temperature. I had a friend who wrenches drop by with his scan tool. It shows no codes. I asked if it was set up to pull diesel codes and he said yes. Hence my question. It’s started to have a long crank to start, weather cold or fully up to temp. Is he smokin crack and his tool isn’t setup to pull codes on my truck?

Probably has to be scanned at Ford. Haven't wrenched on them in 10 years. Back then they used the IDS. High end third party platforms should have no problem though.

flashing means a misfire

but ford misfire monitoring actually setting codes is kind of... totally shit

IDS has a very nice power balance screen, and another for misfires too, seriously top tier among manufacturers
though they still have some really stupid cutoffs so they will refuse to work when WOT or above whatever RPM or if a butterfly flaps its wings in hong kong

[Jimmynumbers] I'm a professional technician who works smarter not harder and I can tell you right now, through my months and months of experience, that a flashing Cee-Eee-Ell indicates a missfire, don't be one of those hack technicians that give us all a bad name by only replacing the ignition coil pack on the bad cylinder, have some respect for yourself and your work by replacing all the coil packs. ...Unless the service writer only gave you enough time to replace one coil pack then upsold the customer on all of them because they are money grubbers. ...if that is the case, then only replace the one and keep the rest in your box for later becasue fuck them I don't care. [/Jimmynumbers]

How quickly does it flash?

What kind of scan tool did he have?

The 7.3 pcm is kind of archaic, But it should still store a code. I don’t believe they set misfire codes
or flash the CEL for a misfire.

See if his tool will monitor your high pressure oil numbers. Mine did similar when my hpop was getting tired

interesting
guess that must have been a common thing amongst the early obd2 diesels, because up to at least '03 the VWs are the same way, won't set a code for a miss

[486 said:
;n236415]interesting
guess that must have been a common thing amongst the early obd2 diesels, because up to at least '03 the VWs are the same way, won't set a code for a miss

Even the newer diesels are the same way, they don’t set P030x misfire codes, they set P02xx “cylinder contribution” codes.

California or Federal emissions? Can you post a video of the flashing CEL?

Federal emission 7.3l trucks won't flash the CEL for a misfire. Even if it is dead miss every stroke. I'm not sure about Cali trucks, I have very little experience with them.

What kind of scan tool does mechanic buddy have?

How quickly does it flash?

What kind of scan tool did he have?

The 7.3 pcm is kind of archaic, But it should still store a code. I don’t believe they set misfire codes
or flash the CEL for a misfire.
It doesn’t flash on and off in a pattern. It will come on when I push the go pedal when driving then go off. I’m not sure what his scan tool was.
Two b, what were the symptoms when your hpop was getting weak?

It doesn’t flash on and off in a pattern. It will come on when I push the go pedal when driving then go off. I’m not sure what his scan tool was.
Two b, what were the symptoms when your hpop was getting weak?

Ahah! I forgot about this one.

Idle validation switch issue.

Either the APPS is bad, or more likely there is a broken (red with green stripe) wire at the throttle pedal.

Key on engine off and all other loads (heater, vacuum pump, radio) off...You should be able to hear a click when you nudge the throttle pedal with you toe. A good solid click normally indicates a good switch. IVS is a 12V signal, so pretty easy to check with nothing more than a test light.

Last edited:
Ford PCMs are weird about how/where they store and show codes, you might miss something on a CMDTC scan that shows up in a KOEO/KOER test. 7.3 also has two engine computers, PCM and the IDM, and they self test separately. A good aftermarket (Snap on/Bosch/Autel) scanner will do anything code/data wise that an IDS can do if you tell it to, a little OBD2 code reader won't though.

Top Back Refresh