What's new

Ceiling Insulation for existing steel building

fucking hell says its out of stock for me
I would think you could get it anywhere?

1683145503823.png

Have any of you used a DIY spray foam setup?

There are several out there. It is NOT the same as commercial foam, no matter what the barndominium forums say. :lmao: We've done two removals of that product and re sprays in the last year.
You don't need a large R value, you need a thermal barrier. 2" of closed cell would be perfect. Expect to pay 3.25ish a sqft for that bldg
Open cell is not recommended to spray directly to metal without a primer and you have no thermal barrier.

This. It seals the place right up. I ever build a new house it is getting spray foamed.

its fantastic in a home designed for it from the start.

So i'm planning on capping that to keep the dirt/birds out of the shop. I can't find a metal roof supplier that sells ridge caps that would work for my building/sheet metal style. How do you guys suggest that I cap the edges of the ridge cap to keep the birds and dirt out?
Can you remove the cap, put down screen across the roof opening, and reinstall the cap?

The DIY spray foam is great for sealing up things, but doing any amount of work it's going to be cheaper and less hassle to hire someone with 55-gallon drums of the stuff - and you'll get a more uniform job.

If not PBR panel ?
You could just slide a J trim on the end of the roof sheet at the cap to close the end of the sheet then put the cap back on.
Not sure if that makes sense.

like this, aerial view?
1683204122844.png

Last edited:
I've gotten quotes for spray foam from a couple companies and paying 8K for that doesn't make sense for what I want to do here. Anyone suggest DIY spray foam kits I could do myself?

It’ll be the best bang for the buck, ultimately. I predict you spend as much or more (in time, money, frustration) on other solutions over the years trying to not do spray foam…

I've got a P2 foam gun I'm not gonna use kicking around if anyone wants it. You need to rig up your own pressure pots to supply product. If you want be really professional and make shit dry super fast so you can lay one coat right after another in a small space you need to warm the product as it goes to the gun.

its fantastic in a home designed for it from the start.
It's also a magnet for rot because any moisture gets in is gonna have a much tougher time getting out.

A steel shop building I'd foam all day every day. A stick built structure is questionable.

I've got a P2 foam gun I'm not gonna use kicking around if anyone wants it. You need to rig up your own pressure pots to supply product. If you want be really professional and make shit dry super fast so you can lay one coat right after another in a small space you need to warm the product as it goes to the gun.

It's also a magnet for rot because any moisture gets in is gonna have a much tougher time getting out.

A steel shop building I'd foam all day every day. A stick built structure is questionable.
my concern for wood also. wood needs to expand and contract with temperature, moisture, and breath i have to agree.

Right or wrong all the better than track houses in my area seem to be foamed.

I don't really need much insulation. Even last summer when it was in the 90's the swamp cooler kept shop down in the high 70s/low 80s. But if the swamp cooler wasn't on I could feel the heat radiating down from the roof. Also my clock up on the wall about 2' down from ceiling reads temp and it's usually 7-10 deg hotter than working at could level. So just needing something to keep the heat on roof or at the roof. Also the birds love the vented ridge cap and like to make nests on all my main beams. So i'm planning on capping that to keep the dirt/birds out of the shop. I can't find a metal roof supplier that sells ridge caps that would work for my building/sheet metal style. How do you guys suggest that I cap the edges of the ridge cap to keep the birds and dirt out?
Something like this should work: Ridge Closure - Vent Foam, 1-1/2 High, 100 feet
metalvent112-lg.jpg

Take the ridge vent off, put this on the bottom of the vent or on the roof and screw it back down.

Have any of you used a DIY spray foam setup?
If you go that route (with the small "tanks") make ABSOLUTELY sure the tanks are warm enough (consider building them a box with a heater, or something similar). If they are not warm enough, the foam will not set and it will have to be redone as arse_sidewards said.

Aaron Z

Something like this should work: Ridge Closure - Vent Foam, 1-1/2 High, 100 feet
metalvent112-lg.jpg

Take the ridge vent off, put this on the bottom of the vent or on the roof and screw it back down.

If you go that route (with the small "tanks") make ABSOLUTELY sure the tanks are warm enough (consider building them a box with a heater, or something similar). If they are not warm enough, the foam will not set and it will have to be redone as arse_sidewards said.

Aaron Z
I originally put that type closure on my shop ridge but after having it like that for 15 years I think it makes the building envelope "breath" too much.

I originally put that type closure on my shop ridge but after having it like that for 15 years I think it makes the building envelope "breath" too much.
Can't disagree with that, if you don't want it to breathe, somebody makes a closed cell version that won't let air through, we have that on a couple of our barns and it's worked well, but they aren't heated. Never had any issues with condensation inside though, so it seems to be doing its job of ventilating the structure.

Aaron Z

Top Back Refresh