What's new

Cedar planter tech

AK_F250

Red Rocket
Member Number
Loc
Alaska
I made a planter box out of steel and 1/4" t&g cedar and I'd like it to survive more than a couple years. I know a plastic or rubber membrane is an option, but I was also thinking about coating the inside with some sort of epoxy or resin to keep the moisture out of the wood. There are 3 3/4" drain holes in the bottom so it won't be watertight. Am I better off with a 10mil trash bag every season or is there a coating that will work for what I want? The exterior is sloped and has about 6 coats of helmsman spar urethane on it, not sure if it's the right product for the job but I had some left over from another project.

Sorry in advance for the potato photos...

planter 2.jpg
planter 1.jpg

better make the holes a little bigger if you're going to line them.

Is the inside sloped at all to make water go out instead of sitting on the bottom?

Why? It should last 10+ years as is:confused:

I haven't messed with cedar much other than 5/8 fence and being so thin packed with soil I'm worried it wont last that long. It's a gift for my mom and I don't want a maintenance headache for her. I'm probably over thinking it though.

I haven't messed with cedar much other than 5/8 fence and being so thin packed with soil I'm worried it wont last that long. It's a gift for my mom and I don't want a maintenance headache for her. I'm probably over thinking it though.

Probably. But if it's for your mom, coating the inside won't hurt.

Also looks like you're in AK, so I bet things get a little more wear and tear than here in CA.:laughing: we have 10 year old redwood planter boxes that other than oxidation look new. Granted they are also 2 x 12.

I'd line it with a drain board membrane. Thats how it's done on the jobs I've been involved with.

My grandpa made some planters out of redwood probably 25 or 30 years ago for my mom. No lining, no finish and the just started failing a couple years ago. If say don't over think it and you'll be fine.

Are you using it for anything edible or just decorative? If you're going to plant anything you will eat, you want to use non-toxic coatings or better to stick to a plastic liner.

Top Back Refresh