What's new

Caster

Aisin

Grumpy old fuck
Member Number
I need educated. What are you running? How much is too much? Vehicle in question will be street driven. The axle I am using is set at +3 degrees from the factory. I’ve read guys running up to 12 degrees but I think that is running on the edge. Any insight? Fuck a blender?:flipoff2:

I run 10ish. seems good, I always thought more caster more return to center which helps with big tires and more bite when Cornering off-road. Really depends on axle too. I’m running and old kingpin 60, new super duty’s run less because more Ackerman built in to knuckles. More castor will usually help with wander and death wobble too. Tons of info out there on it but typically big tires equal more castor than factory in my experience.

I run 10ish. seems good, I always thought more caster more return to center which helps with big tires and more bite when Cornering off-road. Really depends on axle too. I’m running and old kingpin 60, new super duty’s run less because more Ackerman built in to knuckles. More castor will usually help with wander and death wobble too. Tons of info out there on it but typically big tires equal more castor than factory in my experience.

I realize I could do some searching on the old site but I forgot my login. Haven’t been there since last May. Thanks for your input.

5-7 is usually the sweet spot. Start there then dial it in. On my last streetable wheeling rig 5 was the sweet spot. 2 degrees either way from that would bring on the death wobble.

I would run around 5-7 as well. I had more like 12 degree and when turning sharp it would make the tires squeal in a parking lot

Sweet. My axle in question is a 1994 FJ80 axle. Stock is 3* +/-2* I believe.

The fj60 axle I flipped for my tacoma is set at 5.92* after evreything was welded. Drives fine on the street for being leaf sprung. No death wobble ever, even with my now tore up spring bushings.

I ran 12* on my FJ80 axle in my 4runner. Didn't really mean to make it that much, but the spot I built it was sloped and I guess I added or subtracted a little too much :laughing: drove great. I'd probably recommend more like 8* though.

My Tundra was the test dummy for 74Welds billet aluminum upper control arms. I did research on different UCAs and camber, caster, cams, and tire placement. End result was 6* of caster depending on where you set the cams. Factory spec lets you run as low at 1.9 -3.4*. The low caster allows the tires to be thrown around by obstacles on the road. It makes the vehicle easier to steer is as it is more reactive but it is also more reactive to outside forces. Once at 6* the tires and steering wheel stay straight when you fit a pothole or other obstacle. I have not noticed any added resistance in the power steering or added effort to keep the vehicle going straight or turning. I have heard that the Camburg UCAs have close to 9* and people have noticed reduced responsiveness. I'm sure it is beneficial off road keeping the tires going straight but for on road it might be too much.

My Tundra was the test dummy for 74Welds billet aluminum upper control arms. I did research on different UCAs and camber, caster, cams, and tire placement. End result was 6* of caster depending on where you set the cams. Factory spec lets you run as low at 1.9 -3.4*. The low caster allows the tires to be thrown around by obstacles on the road. It makes the vehicle easier to steer is as it is more reactive but it is also more reactive to outside forces. Once at 6* the tires and steering wheel stay straight when you fit a pothole or other obstacle. I have not noticed any added resistance in the power steering or added effort to keep the vehicle going straight or turning. I have heard that the Camburg UCAs have close to 9* and people have noticed reduced responsiveness. I'm sure it is beneficial off road keeping the tires going straight but for on road it might be too much.

Thanks for chiming in. Looks like 5 to 7* it is. Now to find a flat level surface. :laughing:

I run 8 on my FJ80 axle. 40" tires, Hellfire, full hydro. I think it is perfect.

Top Back Refresh