What's new

Carpet In The Shop Area

Lilyota

RIP 7/22/2023
Member Number
Loc
Bolivar MO
Any body do it during the winter time?

I realize it would be a hazard at times but it could also be rolled up and moved during those times.

The reason I ask is because as I get older it gets harder for me to be on the floor due to the cold. The floor just pulls the warmth right out of the bones and I hurt for days afterwards.

I'm thinking something tight and cheap as I will throw it away in the spring time after it warms up a bit.

Anybody do this?

My dad just uses a large old floor mat from his work, has a cushion so your feet don't get tired after standing there for so long. That's what gave me the idea.

I’ve had old take-out carpet in the garage before, made working comfortable. But, I didn’t weld or grind in there. Maybe use this as an excuse to upgrade house carpet? Could get some indoor-outdoor stuff from Homo Depot?

A carpet in my shop would just be a metal shaving holder, impossible to vacuum, forget laying down on it.

If you are just standing on it, how about a horse mat? I have one next to my fab table mostly for fatigue, but it would help against the cold floor. Really hard to ignite and super durable.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/utility-rubber-mat-black-4-ft-x-3-ft-x--frac12-in

I have tried some of the "jigsaw" type mats, they don't handle sparks too well.

If thinking about those foam cushion mats, don't let any dust or water get underneath of them, they start sliding around very easily and you'll end up on your ass in no time flat.

Someone suggested the reflective insulation rolls to me. They are closed air or foam cell so they have some padding and also have insulating properties. I have not personally used them but I imagine they'd be easy to wipe down and keep clean after project work due to the reflective finish.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Reach-Barrier...dp/B00DRBEED8/

Yep, been doing it for years.
short napp works best.
throw down a sheet of visqueen (sp) first so the leaks donot stain the floor if ya care...
also look at stall mats, restarunt(sp) for standing area .

Last edited:
i use carpet scraps when i can, and throw them away as soon as they get too dirty. carpets great but not something i keep around. if i dont have carpet i always have carboard.

plenty of people think its weird i dont use a creeper, but u just dont like using them.

i use carpet scraps when i can, and throw them away as soon as they get too dirty. carpets great but not something i keep around. if i dont have carpet i always have carboard.

plenty of people think its weird i dont use a creeper, but u just dont like using them.

I usually lay on cardboard. My wife bought me a creeper last Xmas. She was pissed when she saw me laying on the box it came in :laughing: I was doing some thing in the gravel on a slope and didn't want to mess with a creeper in gravel.

Are you laying on it or standing on it?

Standing, I'd do the rubber mats mentioned. Like someone mentioned, I'd think carpet would be a drill shaving and grinder dust magnet.

I have a rug in front of the bench in the old shop, it works okay in there. It is commercial carpet that was getting replaced at work, so really short and smooth rather than a typical home rug. That's transitioning to wood shop area so no sparks to speak of.
New new shop doesn't have anything and probably won't as it would get in the way of driving the forklift up to the pallet racking above the workbench.

Aaron Z

A carpet in my shop would just be a metal shaving holder, impossible to vacuum, forget laying down on it.

If you are just standing on it, how about a horse mat? I have one next to my fab table mostly for fatigue, but it would help against the cold floor. Really hard to ignite and super durable.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/utility-rubber-mat-black-4-ft-x-3-ft-x--frac12-in

I have tried some of the "jigsaw" type mats, they don't handle sparks too well.

x2 on the horse stall mats i have 5 of the bigger ones

Doods

Those are like 40 bucks a pop lol

I'm just lookin to get the concrete off my knees and back lol

Doods

Those are like 40 bucks a pop lol

I'm just lookin to get the concrete off my knees and back lol

they last long time
more cushion than carpet
you can clean them easy
they dont mind welding and grinding sparks
great for when youre working in the gravel driveway

obviously carpet would be far cheaper and i say go for it, if it doesnt work out like you want it to no big deal

You could talk to some carpet installers and see if they can hook you up with some freebees. An installer once told me that sometimes they install carpet and the owner will change their mind, so it comes right back up and into the dumpster. I can't imagine hating a new carpet so bad that I'd pay for a second install, but he said it happens more often than you think.

If thinking about those foam cushion mats, don't let any dust or water get underneath of them, they start sliding around very easily and you'll end up on your ass in no time flat.

I use these in front of a bench and he speaks the truth.

I have a walk off mat that I've used for years I also keep a few good pieces of cardboard around

Same here. I actually do own one, and it's comfortable to lay on, but I never use it. The few times I've brought it out to use, by time I've been working on the vehicle for a while I end up just pushing the creeper aside and finishing the job laying on the ground.

Get a roll of bubble wrap and cut out a bunch of rectangles about the size you want to lay down on (3x7 is probably a good size) and then tape around the edges so it's one big sheet you can slide around. I'm using one I made from some bubble wrap that a radiator I bought shipped in. Make sure the bubbles face inward. It's more durable that way and easier to clean off. You could do the same with cardboard but the benefit to bubble wrap is its more luxurious and won't soak up fluids.

shit, find some carpet on the side of the road that isn't filled with animal piss, roll it out, and be warm. Dad and I did this for years when wrenching, the layer between concrete and you is a massive difference. Just throw it out when you're done and put in a new piece. I've got pieces all around the standing area of the bench now, and I keep a smaller 3x5ish piece that I keep clean-ish and throw under the cars anytime I'm doing an oil change or something

yeah, welding and grinding you probably want to move it, or at least have an extinguisher close by.

i'm sure there's nicer options, but carpets easy and probably free

I have small creeper sized carpet that I use every now and then, but as someone mentioned, a big carpet would just gather drill shavings or chips from the lathe. Of course, grinding and welding is a problem. I vacuum and sweep all the time, but my floor is still and minefield for my dogs.

I got a scrap of the material that the foam earplugs are made from. It's a sheet with all the holes from the earplugs punched out. Real squishy and comfortable. I doubt you will find one local unless you have an earplug factory nearby. :laughing:

I use carpet scraps.
Some 2'x4'. Some 4'x4'. I keep them down under the truck in the garage usually but whenever they are not in use, I slide them between my work bench and wall and take up nearly zero floor space.

I throw out and replace them when they get real nasty.
I haven't had any issues with grinder sparks yet and don't do much welding but they make working under vehicles much more comfortable.

I've used office carpet before it is nice but I don't have a unlimited supply of it like I do cardboard so I use cardboard.

How about this, might not be easy to move on, but shit won’t roll away on you.
A3B3BB68-DB4C-4679-8B08-EA95F6C1501D.png

For an outside mat I cut the floor out of a plastic bed liner.easy to slide on, and the grooves hold your tools and bolts.

I have a cut off maybe 5x7 of carpet from a job. I use it to lie on under the truck. Pick it up and shake it occasionally. It keep me separated from the gravel and mushrooms that is my floor. Works great!

How about this, might not be easy to move on, but shit won’t roll away on you.

Have one at my fab table. It is great to stand on, not so great for keeping things clean. It is not broom friendly and requires being picked up every time you want to clean the floor. While I still use it on the end of the fab table, the rest of the floor area in my high work zone are the horse mats. Easy to sweep and keep tidy.

Top Back Refresh