What's new

Can someone identify this steering box for me?

Burns

Member Number
Loc
Portland, ME
Its on an F100, which from the factory have a rear steer spindle. I picked up a set of '70's E350 spindles (Front steer, 1' King Pin)....and am curious about what box this may be....so I can copy it :)

F100 Steering Box.PNG

Need more pictures. Closer up. From the top. From the side.

Looks like the most common steering box of all time, the Saginaw commonly known for being on Jeeps for over 30 years. But also came in GM cars Trucks and Dodge trucks as well as probably other vehicles.

Inside frame box which is just about every veh simce the late 80's.

The fact thats on a tube chassis and painted fancy id wager its a psc/agr gm box. 4bolt, 32spl, rear swing.

That picture it is forward swing. AKA Astro Van config. But still not enough info from that one blurry pic from to far away.

Sadly thats the only pic I have. Definitely is a front steer box!

Im not overly familiar with all the different boxes, and knowing that the pic sucks....figured it was a crap shoot!

Sadly thats the only pic I have. Definitely is a front steer box!

Im not overly familiar with all the different boxes, and knowing that the pic sucks....figured it was a crap shoot!
My closest guess for what I see is a Saginaw forward swing. The cheaper factory place to get one is from a Chevy Astro van. PSC used to be able to build them and Steerco used to have them, available in ram assist from both. JohnM4580 runs the Steerco one on his old 4500 car from back when it was AGR.

My closest guess for what I see is a Saginaw forward swing. The cheaper factory place to get one is from a Chevy Astro van. PSC used to be able to build them and Steerco used to have them, available in ram assist from both. JohnM4580 runs the Steerco one on his old 4500 car from back when it was AGR.
Pretty sure ours is just a modified astro forward swing box.

Packaging. I’m a rock guy first of all and I can make the approach angle far better far more easily with a forward swing box than can be done with a rear swing box. If the whole steering box has to be in front of the swing path of the pitman arm you need another foot of frame space to attach it to. Edit: to ad that I mean on my traditional straight axle builds. IFS and the bellcrank builds I’ve done are rear swing boxes.

IMG_1224.jpeg
IMG_1525.png
IMG_1526.png

Last edited:
Pretty sure ours is just a modified astro forward swing box.
At one time Jordan was working with AGR on that thing. It also used to have a 9” rear end in it so my timeline might be skewed to parts no longer on it by the time you got it.

At one time Jordan was working with AGR on that thing. It also used to have a 9” rear end in it so my timeline might be skewed to parts no longer on it by the time you got it.
It had AGR box, but it wasn't anything fancy.

This is correct and that’s @bajastu 66 F100
You win the prize. You nailed it.

Kind of funny as I actually called and spoke with Rob at RJ Fab regarding spindles, not knowing he helped with the truck that I was eyeballing. Small world lol.

Last edited:
You'll want a 4 bolt Saginaw style box. I personally am using a big bore Saginaw box from an 99-02 Chevy express 2500 van. I then had Minh Worx steering in AZ rebuild and port the box for ram assist. This was for my 68 f250 when I converted it to front dual swing steering.

Last edited:
Burns what kinda project are you up to?
Ultimate goal for ten years from now will be something I could recreationally do a SCORE or NORRA race in, basically long travel prerunner type deal. Ive been saving for a house and had some health issues....and basically decided to shit or get off the pot. Before I joined pirate in 2002/2003...I had joined DezertRangers.com....and lusted over prerunners and the Isenhouers F100 (Brodozer Motorsports) if I remember right.

Stage one for me is beams, links, and coilovers at all four corners (LS2, TR6060, Terminator X for ECU). Im A) not good enough at tube bending to do a quality cage by myself B) HATE fucking paying to have metal work done, as its something I know I can learn to do....just dont have the skills yet. That is the biggest hurdle with the whole project currently, how to do suspension mounts.

Loosely looking to build a beams/linked playtoy for the logging roads, that I can throw a 12' boat on and live my east coast best like in the north Maine woods before scooting west at some point. Fummins is just too big to bomb through the woods the way I want :smokin:

Ill start a thread in the next day or so!

Dig it. I share many of your sentiments above. I was overwhelmed with my first cage. Someone took me under their wing to help build it and it didn’t turn out like I had hoped. I took a step away from the project, found a killer deal for a JD2 on pirate and a HF notcher and just started making mistakes. Now it’s something I enjoy and can usually make most bend calcs in my head. Benders 101 is also my bible. There’s no such thing as wasted tube.

There’s so many examples and creative minds to draw from on the internet. Sometimes the best advancement for your skills is to learn from your ignorance. Build it. Figure out why it didn’t work out like you wanted, chop it up and build back stronger.

Top Back Refresh