What's new

Can someone explain propane regulators (Camper style) to me

kf4zht

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I've got my little camping trailer, with a propane tank. Right now I have 3 things that I use with it

This Stove - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006VORDY
This Stove - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S3HDBO/
This water heater - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQT3GFZ

Why two stoves? - The first one is if I am setting up camp for a while, it gives me more food prep area. The second is my run and gun setup when I am moving daily or not doing a full meal.

Right now I have a tiny 5lb propane tank with a OPD Wye valve. One side stays connected to the water heater, the other swap between the stove. The big stove connects directly, but due to a short hose I have to pull the tank off the trailer and set it near the stove. The other uses one of the 1lb bottle adapter hoses to the L shaped regulator connector. I fawking hate the setup, the hose or reg is always in the way.

I want to setup one hard mounted reg with a spitter that goes to the water heater and a QD socket that can connect to either stove. I know the big stove is "Low Pressure" and the water heater is "Low Pressure" and depending on who you belive on amazon the small stove will work off "Low pressure" with a direct connection to the little screw in port (Maybe).

What I wanted to verify -
Is "low pressure" a standard - aka can I get any low pressure propane reg and it will put out the right pressure?
Is there any magic to sizing other than adding up the max usage of all the combinations and picking a reg higher?
Any issues with having an oversized reg?
What is the easiest way to get/make hoses for the system - is there a decent DIY option or should I just take measurements to a hydraulic shop and see if they can make them?

ok my simple thought process is. tank then regulator then tee off to the three things that need it. sounds like at most only two will be on at the same time, stove and water heater. so that should be ok at least in my mind.

putting two regulators on the same run would bring the suck because you all ready reducing down tank pressure (100-200 psi) to lets say 1/4 lb of pressure (thats what natural gas is when it goes into most homes, maybe more for propane.) so putting another regulator in line would not work well. at least how i am thinking about it.

would something like this work?

1679589254832.png

So here is a diagram of my plan

1679660963397.png

The water heater gets a normal fitting, it doesn't move or come off. Only one stove or the other will be in use - so only 1 QD needed.

At max I would need 101,000 BTU. I have a 75000 btu regulator in the parts box - which would let me have one burner on full tilt with the water heater going, but the second burner on full would exceed. The next step up that I am finding is about 160,000 BTU regulators

And the hoses, looks like I can get a few sizes premade on amazon but less than ideal.

It looks like you are just emulating a hard plumbed RV propane system?
Don't reinvent the wheel here because all the parts are readily available for the standard way.

RV system would be like your drawing.
The big cook stove and the water heater have 1/2" flare fittings (I think) They have pre-made hoses with QD ends on them already.
like this

Then for the "camp stove" you can use a hose with the 90 adapter. Like this, same hose as above but with adapter to remove the 1 lb bottle tube.

My RV doesn't have the QD port but my FIL and friends does, they both use these hoses for their flat tops, camp stoves etc. works great plenty of power.
No little bottles to fuck with.
I currently use these on my 1 lb stuff and regular hoses for the 20 lb stuff to a 3 way tee on my 20 lb bottle.
We cook alternating meals so I might have to cook for 15+ people and it's handy to have all the devices, grill, flat top and stove hooked up at the same time.

propane appliance regulators are pretty standard, they typically put out 10-13 inches/water column of pressure. The ones that you'd use on an RV or that screw into a BBQ tank are dual stage and take the 250psi tank pressure down to the appliance pressure. Home type ones are usually single stage, you have one "high pressure" regulator at the bulk tank that takes the 250psi down to lower pressure before the "appliance" regulator where the gas enters the house which drops the pressure to the 10-13in/wc

propane appliance regulators are pretty standard, they typically put out 10-13 inches/water column of pressure. The ones that you'd use on an RV or that screw into a BBQ tank are dual stage and take the 250psi tank pressure down to the appliance pressure. Home type ones are usually single stage, you have one "high pressure" regulator at the bulk tank that takes the 250psi down to lower pressure before the "appliance" regulator where the gas enters the house which drops the pressure to the 10-13in/wc
Ok, so "Low Pressure" should be any of the ones that claim 11"WC, good to know.

Looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09437RMYS
It could mount right to the side of the trailer box and have a short whip that fits either the 5lb or 20lb bottle mounts.

Run in down to the T, then a short adapter (Elbow) should get me into the water heater. Straight back to the QD.

Striking out on the hoses. I can order premade from amazon but the lengths won't be perfect. Google fu is failing me on where to find the barb fittings for things like female flare

Ok, so "Low Pressure" should be any of the ones that claim 11"WC, good to know.

Looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09437RMYS
It could mount right to the side of the trailer box and have a short whip that fits either the 5lb or 20lb bottle mounts.

Run in down to the T, then a short adapter (Elbow) should get me into the water heater. Straight back to the QD.

Striking out on the hoses. I can order premade from amazon but the lengths won't be perfect. Google fu is failing me on where to find the barb fittings for things like female flare
Be more specific about the hose lengths, what are you needing there?

Post pic of stove including intake piping / hookup.

I mounted a mini residential twin in my cabover.

If you reg down to working pressure it may not open the reg on your outside stove.

I’ll post a pic tomorrow if you remind me.

This is easy.

When we were plumbing a friends trailers for propane, we couldn’t find the fittings to make our own hoses anywhere. I can make a 400 psi hose legally, but not make one for 11”wc. We did hard line w/flare on everything and bought a QD whip from the big box store.

When we were plumbing a friends trailers for propane, we couldn’t find the fittings to make our own hoses anywhere. I can make a 400 psi hose legally, but not make one for 11”wc. We did hard line w/flare on everything and bought a QD whip from the big box store.
I bought some hose from a local propane place after begging, crying and giving out hanjobs the three men...

I'll get the sae# off of it believe it's a parker hose.

I've got my little camping trailer, with a propane tank. Right now I have 3 things that I use with it

This Stove - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006VORDY
This Stove - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S3HDBO/
This water heater - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQT3GFZ

Why two stoves? - The first one is if I am setting up camp for a while, it gives me more food prep area. The second is my run and gun setup when I am moving daily or not doing a full meal.

Right now I have a tiny 5lb propane tank with a OPD Wye valve. One side stays connected to the water heater, the other swap between the stove. The big stove connects directly, but due to a short hose I have to pull the tank off the trailer and set it near the stove. The other uses one of the 1lb bottle adapter hoses to the L shaped regulator connector. I fawking hate the setup, the hose or reg is always in the way.

I want to setup one hard mounted reg with a spitter that goes to the water heater and a QD socket that can connect to either stove. I know the big stove is "Low Pressure" and the water heater is "Low Pressure" and depending on who you belive on amazon the small stove will work off "Low pressure" with a direct connection to the little screw in port (Maybe).

What I wanted to verify -
Is "low pressure" a standard - aka can I get any low pressure propane reg and it will put out the right pressure?
Is there any magic to sizing other than adding up the max usage of all the combinations and picking a reg higher?
Any issues with having an oversized reg?
What is the easiest way to get/make hoses for the system - is there a decent DIY option or should I just take measurements to a hydraulic shop and see if they can make them?

I can help you if you post some pics of the appliances and the hookups.

If the outdoor stove has its own reg we need to make a plan. b.

Here are the hookups on the two stove
Big one:
kDWxKAxqDtp9136RQSwTYVzY=w1000-h1333-no?authuser=0.jpg

Small one
EtYf9CaY8ZDKfn42AacZm1g8=w1000-h1333-no?authuser=0.jpg

I was just going to get one of these hoses to go to the stoves:
I've already got a spare QD fitting I can adapt to the big stove, just need to unscrew that one and see what's under it, probably a flare fitting

But for the hoses between Reg, T and Mounted QD - yeah, it seems that the idea of crimping your own propane hoses is a no go. Fine to buy cheap chinese crap but screw you if you want to DIY. Might have to mock everything up and see how close I can get with premade.

Inside the small one there is no regulator at all, correct? Does the little one use the arm and fitting for a 1lb bottle?
2F2B3F52-E466-44B0-B3E0-E167E33F2683.jpeg

Here are the hookups on the two stove
Big one:
kDWxKAxqDtp9136RQSwTYVzY=w1000-h1333-no?authuser=0.jpg

Small one
EtYf9CaY8ZDKfn42AacZm1g8=w1000-h1333-no?authuser=0.jpg

I was just going to get one of these hoses to go to the stoves:
I've already got a spare QD fitting I can adapt to the big stove, just need to unscrew that one and see what's under it, probably a flare fitting

But for the hoses between Reg, T and Mounted QD - yeah, it seems that the idea of crimping your own propane hoses is a no go. Fine to buy cheap chinese crap but screw you if you want to DIY. Might have to mock everything up and see how close I can get with premade.
I linked a hose for both above to QD, I might be lost as to what you are trying to do...

Thos is the hose I bought locally but it's for the high pressure side, pre regulator, too small of a id to work on the lp side.

I linked a hose for both above to QD, I might be lost as to what you are trying to do...

Thos is the hose I bought locally but it's for the high pressure side, pre regulator, too small of a id to work on the lp side.

Why the fuck is this type of hose $10/foot. Why is propane such a voodoo topic to make your own hoses? You can buy fuel injection line and assemble yourself, and if they leak, I think it will create a bigger fireball. I don’t think aircraft grade flexible line is that expensive, and it’s rated to 700#.

Why the fuck is this type of hose $10/foot. Why is propane such a voodoo topic to make your own hoses? You can buy fuel injection line and assemble yourself, and if they leak, I think it will create a bigger fireball. I don’t think aircraft grade flexible line is that expensive, and it’s rated to 700#.
Not a clue man, that industry must have some real dum dums that spread the scary rumours.

That's why I wouldn't sweat it, I'd buy the longest pre fab hose I could find on Amazon and cut to fit, just crimp on new collars or use hose clamps etc..
The hoses are so cheap you really can't do it any cheaper.

I done hose stuff both ways. Flared copper is cheaper than the rubber hose, and I would argue it'll last longer is most situations. My ice shack has appliances with built in regulators (lantern, buddy heater, oven) as well as a main heater that needs external regulator. I used prefab rubber at some of the appliances.

We transitioned to rubber so stuff could move around freely. The BOM fittings (hose end that looks like the top of a green bottle) are big $$$, and worth as much as a 2 or 3 foot rubber adapter hose.

It's not in the pics, but I've got a rubber hose at the tank that tees and one leg goes into a regulator, other line brings full bottle pressure to the lantern, oven and buddy heater. Regulated line goes to the wallmount house heater.

The rubber hose stuff has worked for us for 10+ years with those pinch clamps at the connections, even out in the sun.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh