What's new

Can a Chrysler hemi car motor be used to replace the motor in a hemi grand Cherokee

DMG

Red Skull Member
Member Number
2010 5.7 grand Cherokee needs a cheap long block.

Knowing jack shit about them, I’d say yes if they use the same trans, but be prepared to swap oil pans, and exhaust/intake manifolds.

I think you need a 09+vvt , the cam and vvt are main differences. I not sure how much difference the cams make with the computer, but there a few different factory grinds. 09+ have a few differences with cam and crank sensors from earlier engines.

As Norm said, it will need to be an 09+ VVT motor. Other than that, there shouldn't be an issue if you're just using the long block. It you're getting a complete motor then there will need to be some parts swapped over.

There was a geo tracker with a 6.5hp predator swap on fbmp around here about a week ago. Said it would do 30.

what did a tracker normally make, 12, 15?

Years ago I saw a video of some shitbox mud truck, I swear it was an old cherocar, with a Briggs. Complete with pull start.

Treefiddy small block with a tree quarter race cam and hooker headders.
your welcome.

I think you need a 09+vvt , the cam and vvt are main differences. I not sure how much difference the cams make with the computer, but there a few different factory grinds. 09+ have a few differences with cam and crank sensors from earlier engines.

So pretty much any 2010 5.7 hemi should work, if I swap manifolds?

Not sure if it helps, but when I did the GC Hemi swap into my LJ I was told by multiple people that the Grand Cherokee engine was considered a "car" engine. (apparently everyone swaps truck motors into Jeeps?)

I know the intake manifolds and accessory drives are different between the car and truck Hemi's.

I would say more than likely but accessories will need to change. You will also end up with a car cam vs truck cam so drivability may change.

I did 2.8L Camaro engine into S10 when it blew up. The cam really woke it up in the S10... okay a whole 10 hp:lmao:

The 2009+ GC and Durango both use the car HEMI, not a truck HEMI. So yes, it should be easily interchangeable. The accesory layout, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds and oil pan may be a little different. I'm not exactly 100% what all may need to be changed out, if anything. But as far as internals, especially the cam, will be the same. So there will be no difference in the tune or the way it runs.

If it was me, I would go ahead and put a non mds cam and lifters in the new to you motor if you plan on keeping it for any amount of time. If you're planning on getring rid of it right away I wouldn't worry about. But the mds lifters of that era are very prone to failure. Which in turn wipes a lobe off the cam.

Reactions: DMG
Top Back Refresh