What's new

Caltracs for towing?

Ummduh

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Northern SE WI
My tow rig is a 95 F250 sc/lb 460 4x4. I have hideous axle wrap and wheel hop, and I'd like to get it under control.

I have replaced the springs once already, and I have poly eye bushings already. The springs are junkyard but they are in good condition.

This truck basically doesn't go off road, but I do occasionly take it out in deep snow, which is where it is the worst. I basically hop myself into being stuck.

I was considering caltracs , but I'm a little concerned about the solid front bushing and really how they're going to do with towing. Can I put them in without the solid bushing? Their website says great for towing.. But, really?

I don't really want half-truck long traction bars hanging under the truck.

Have you tried caltrops ?

I run spring clamps with pretty good success. A square ubolt and plate on the front half of the leaf pack. Cost was $15 for a pair of them at Napa.

20220118_092145.jpg

Yeah they'll work but a traction bar with a shackle will work better for the same/less money.

The Fords have an overload bolted on top of the spring pack, it doesn't make any contact unloaded.
Did you miss the massive flat leaf at the bottom of the pack? :laughing:

Yeah they'll work but a traction bar with a shackle will work better for the same/less money.

Did you miss the massive flat leaf at the bottom of the pack? :laughing:
So which part of this would you consider the "massive flat leaf at the bottom"?

Attachments

• 3F00EDB4-9840-4A80-9AE9-1F920BEB32DF.jpeg
    3F00EDB4-9840-4A80-9AE9-1F920BEB32DF.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 42
Also, I wouldn't mind getting another 2" of height out of whatever I do... Or with. I put the d60 up front and never did the 4" f350 block in the back because of the already bad wheel hop.

I pull a smaller 5th wheel. Not sure on weight.

Thoughts about add-a-leafs? If you're going after 2" more lift, might not hurt. I did the (over priced) carli mini-pack on my old F350, and dropped out the f350 block for a shorter f250 block. No wrap issues.

My alumaduty - complete stock - can't make it up my driveway w/o bouncing all over the place. Annoying AF.

What about a shackle flip and ditch the block altogether? I had similar problems with my old '97 Dodge, the factory block was almost 5". I was planning to shackle flip it (possibly using 4th gen Dodge shackles that are designed to be in compression), but ended up selling the truck. My "new" one is a Dodge with the rear coils, in part because I was so tired of the axle wrap on the old truck.

Pete

Thoughts about add-a-leafs? If you're going after 2" more lift, might not hurt. I did the (over priced) carli mini-pack on my old F350, and dropped out the f350 block for a shorter f250 block. No wrap issues.

My alumaduty - complete stock - can't make it up my driveway w/o bouncing all over the place. Annoying AF.

Tell me more about this carli mini pack? They look interesting.

Tell me more about this carli mini pack? They look interesting.

Expensive.

In my case, they went on a 16 f350. I did a 2.5” front lift and the mini-pack in the back. Dropped out the 3.5” block for the ~2” f250’ block. Also yanked the overloads.

They road phenomenal with some load or trailer. But harsh on speed bumps when empty.

But no axle wrap issues. My Tremor requires 4wd to drive up my gravel drive w/o bouncing all over the place.

There are probably less expensive options…

If you still have the old springs you could probably make something similar to the carli by cutting them down. Or just some junkyard springs.

Ummduh your shocks look like shit. Try something simple first, put a new set of shocks on it.

They're painted over KYB's. Granted I haven't had them off in the last 5 years... But I hey were good then lol. I guess it wouldn't hurt.

I've been looking at add a leaves. Or just making my own leaf pack.

They're painted over KYB's. Granted I haven't had them off in the last 5 years... But I hey were good then lol. I guess it wouldn't hurt.

could also swap to newer SD springs.... but then you're moving hanger rivets.

1644591633415.png

Look like they have seen better days.

I recommend Bilstein's 4600s (yellow body blue boots) or 5100s (fancy silver body, black bellow boots).

I just installed them on my truck (97 Ram 2500 4x4) and very happy with them over the rancho 5000s I tried, huge difference.... I had 4600s and they served me well for 10 years. I had to step up to 5100s because they discontinued the 4600s for my truck. I had bounces with the worn out 10 years old 4600s and marginally improved with brand new rancho 5000s. 5100s stopped all of bounces, its great....

FWIW

1644591633415.png

Look like they have seen better days.

I recommend Bilstein's 4600s (yellow body blue boots) or 5100s (fancy silver body, black bellow boots).

I just installed them on my truck (97 Ram 2500 4x4) and very happy with them over the rancho 5000s I tried, huge difference.... I had 4600s and they served me well for 10 years. I had to step up to 5100s because they discontinued the 4600s for my truck. I had bounces with the worn out 10 years old 4600s and marginally improved with brand new rancho 5000s. 5100s stopped all of bounces, its great....

FWIW

Like I said, they were painted over at some point prior to me getting the truck... Poorly. And now, rust belt.

I have bilsteins up front, the yellow ones. I stopped buying Ranchos years ago.. Garbage.

From what I found, the 4600 and 5100 are internally the same shock. Valved the same.

could also swap to newer SD springs.... but then you're moving hanger rivets.

I'm not afraid of that either... I'm highly considering a coil spring SD front swap as well....

Didn't you just say your newer truck has bad hop too though?

I'm not afraid of that either... I'm highly considering a coil spring SD front swap as well....

Didn't you just say your newer truck has bad hop too though?

I have the tall factory blocks… shorter blocks should help

Top Back Refresh