What's new

California....leave if you want but we'll still tax you for 10 years.

Not just state code, but IRS code. As a US citizen, you are liable for tax to the IRS regardless of where you work, anywhere in the world. If you work in Zanzibar, and their tax rate is less than the rate you would pay here in the US, you are liable for the difference - example only, I have no idea what Zanzibar's tax rate is. IF Zanzibar charges you zero tax rate, you are liable for your full IRS bill even if you did not spend a single day in the US or a US territory during that period.

When I worked in the Caribbean, I was liable for tax in the US IF I was in US waters more than half a year plus one day (non-US citizen, non-green card holder). IF I had been a US citizen or a green card holder at that stage, I would have been liable for tax in the US pro-rated for the number of days I was in US waters or territory. Some of the reason the gin palace stinkpot luxury yachts are registered in the Caymans, or Channel Islands (Guernsey etc) staffed by foreign crews, and moored in non-US waters whenever they are not on charter.

Tax laws may have changed in the last couple decades, but if anything they are more restrictive as the US clamped down on "drug" money and "money laundering", in reality trying to tighten or remove tax loopholes that the really rich were able to exploit. Even the Swiss gave in, and ratted out a bunch of anonymous account holders. The Panama papers just added to the pressure to do so. AFAIK there are only a couple of countries not in binding treaties with the US, so hiding $$$ around the world has become increasingly difficult. Can still be done, but now you need several shell companies, operating in several locations to make it worth the expense, and likely the US state dept or IRS would still be able to come after you if they chose

I know plenty of folks who conduct business in CO, but have most of their business located in WY, and they ain't doing it because they love WY.

Fucking theft!!

Maybe a good idea not to contract with the state via so called income taxes,

Read " the law that never was" Beckman, a book so powerful gov felt the need to silence the authors.

SSA states one has a right to work and live without a number so contract privately with your job and rid yourself of unconscionable contract with government.

Also HALE V HINKEL (1906) The individual has an unlimited right to contract without gov involvement or interference.

"The Law that Never Was" has been completely debunked. The 16th amendment was ratified no matter what some yahoos claim.
100's of cases have repeatedly upheld the constitutionality of the 16th amendment. You'd be much better served disregarding that book as it's worthless.

I imagine that cost for an individual to try to fight this (with their mindset of we'll do it until its ruled we can't) would bankrupt many.

Why fight? You move your finances elsewhere and then move out of the state and tell CA to fuck off. Whats CA gonna do? Come get you?

Well everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, even you you crotchety old fart.

"The Law that Never Was" has been completely debunked. The 16th amendment was ratified no matter what some yahoos claim.
100's of cases have repeatedly upheld the constitutionality of the 16th amendment. You'd be much better served disregarding that book as it's worthless.

Well everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, even you you crotchety old fart.

It's not an opinion, it's facts. That whole book was based on false claims. You're entitled to believe it, but don't expect to go anywhere legally with it.

This state can't bond together for jack shit.

I'll throw Pugs from my porch. :laughing: :flipoff2:

Mean, Mean mean.......

01c8cbd15dcf73fdfe4dea67065498ed.jpg

quite a few friends of mine live out of state, and come to CA to work for part of the year, then go home for the rest of the year.

Living much cheaper than here, and (for the time they are here) earning nice wages. Not sure what sort of taxes they pay, but I'm assuming they pay CA taxes for the work they do here in CA.

Every few years or so I think about giving that a try.

quite a few friends of mine live out of state, and come to CA to work for part of the year, then go home for the rest of the year.

Living much cheaper than here, and (for the time they are here) earning nice wages. Not sure what sort of taxes they pay, but I'm assuming they pay CA taxes for the work they do here in CA.

Ask "flecker". IIRC he lives in Aridzona and worked in California for a while.

CA will try to screw you anyway they can with taxes
if you work in the state but are a resident of Nevada, you will pay CA income tax as that is where you made the income. you file a 540NR tax return (non Resident)
what sucked is when I moved here from PA, California wanted to tax part of the money I made in PA before I moved here. That is BS so i did not report that income for that year.
they want it all, nothing less

If you stay out of country for 366 days straight never touching us soil your tax liability is zero. A friend worked in albania for a bit over a year and got a 100% tax return the following year and used the cash to buy a brand new Ford truck. :homer:

If you stay out of country for 366 days straight never touching us soil your tax liability is zero. A friend worked in albania for a bit over a year and got a 100% tax return the following year and used the cash to buy a brand new Ford truck. :homer:

I could be wrong on exact number but I think it’s only the first 90k you are exempt.

I could be wrong on exact number but I think it’s only the first 90k you are exempt.

No idea what it is these days but my friend did it in 2007. He had a nice fat 40k return waiting for him the next year.

I’ve been based in LA but I live in Denver (which is fucking eastern CA nowadays) for the last 8 years. THe first few years of this the ****s in Sacramento would come after a good portion of my work group who commuted from all over the country. When they came after me they said “if you spend more than 50% of th year in CA, you hav to pay CA taxes”. I told them I’m a pilot, I start and finish every trip at LAX, then go all over the country. There’s not a chance in hell I spend any more time in CA than u have to and it sure isn’t 50% of my life. I never heard back from them.

We stay on the list of undesirable places to live to keep the yuppies out :flipoff2: We saw what happened to California!

I really thought y’all were hell bound on that liberal train for a while? Democrat governor imposing dictatorship-like covid mandates and lots of blue during the election. :homer:

CA will try to screw you anyway they can with taxes
if you work in the state but are a resident of Nevada, you will pay CA income tax as that is where you made the income. you file a 540NR tax return (non Resident)
what sucked is when I moved here from PA, California wanted to tax part of the money I made in PA before I moved here. That is BS so i did not report that income for that year.
they want it all, nothing less

I have to do that this year with IL and NC. My wife is going to be taxed by both states as well as her main office location is in Illinois and she works from home in our house in NC. I will at least only have to pay a few months worth, but hers will be in perpetuity.

Our taxes are going to be a complete shit show this year, the account will actually earn their money!

I really thought y’all were hell bound on that liberal train for a while? Democrat governor imposing dictatorship-like covid mandates and lots of blue during the election. :homer:

We could stand to have a purge :barf:

From right there in the article:

It aint gonna happen.

Actually, they were taxing AZ companies or was it individuals recently? A year or 2 ago. State of AZ if I recall, took Commiefornia to court over that.

And that the crime rate in Albuquerque is sky high. Just as sceep, he got shot at there.

My company has sent many home to telecommute, never coming into the office ever, and a large group have started asking about moving out of state and why the company has said no. I don't know who has what legal rights, but the company stands firm on we are a local So Cal company and our employees will live locally.

Yet we outsource our sensitive I.T. needs overseas, when we call the hotline you will be lucky to get someone from Texas.

Same thing as a customer calling in, many times the first person you speak to will be out of state (if you don't spend 20 mins punching through the automated system)

My company has sent many home to telecommute, never coming into the office ever, and a large group have started asking about moving out of state and why the company has said no. I don't know who has what legal rights, but the company stands firm on we are a local So Cal company and our employees will live locally.

Yet we outsource our sensitive I.T. needs overseas, when we call the hotline you will be lucky to get someone from Texas.

Same thing as a customer calling in, many times the first person you speak to will be out of state (if you don't spend 20 mins punching through the automated system)

I turned down a job with my company because they wanted me to move to San Diego. That was last year. I know have that position because they see that people can work from home and still get the job done. It's been nice.

Top Back Refresh