What's new

Buzuki crawler

Sidekicktodd

Member Number
Loc
Sonoma county
So I’m starting a new build I’m not sure how long it’s going to take to finish but I’m hoping to keep it within a few years.
IMG_5122.jpeg

Im not one to name rigs but when my kid first saw it he said it needed a Buzuki in the back. So I guess im painting the hood camo also.

My dad had a built 97 sidekick he rolled so im going to put the drivetrain in the Sami. It’s a 1.6 16valve, manual with a 4.2 gear box.
I’ve collected lots of parts over the years and it’s time to ether use, sell or junk the parts. So it’s time to build a cheap fun beater rig.

Im trying to build this cheap so I’ll have a final total$ at the end of the build. I’m hoping to keep it around $3k.

So far I’ve spent
$500 for the Sami with pink slip. It’s just going to be green sticker though
$800 for the fj80 axle
$290 hp 5.29 diff gear
$300 for the seats.
My budget isn’t looking good already. But all my extra parts i sell that I have laying around will be deducted from my total.

Last edited:
You spent $500 on that? :laughing:
Hahaha right inflation man, We’ll see how it comes out. I needed the steering wheel, clutch, break and throttle pedals, my dad junked his sidekick stuff so. That plus all the tube I figure I’m money ahead. It’s not how I would have done the cage but I’m going to modify it still. I’m going to boat side it I’ll probably just keep the hood and firewall

Last edited:
I’m working on the axles first. My plan was to leaf spring the front and link the rear because I didn’t want to deal with steering geometry but I got a fj80 so I’m going to use most of the axle brakes and do a 3 link. I’m planning on running cal mini rear sidekick coils on the front and Yj RE SOA I’m the back. The rear axle is a Tacoma elocker housing. I’m going to have to modify it to fit a normal 4cyl diff though. Also I’m going to cut the bottom of the housing To get them as flat as possible.

IMG_5362.jpeg
After looking at the housing I’m only going to remove the drain plug and patch it.

Now I have 1 auto locker do I run it in the back or front what are your guy’s thoughts I’m thinking front.

I’ll weld the open diff

The rear axle is a Tacoma elocker housing. I’m going to have to modify it to fit a normal 4cyl diff though. Also I’m going to cut the bottom of the housing To get them as flat as possible.

Why not just try to score a elocker diff and you can run your other locker up front. No fab needed for the center section. Make sure you use ar500 plate for the bottom.

I also understand trying to build cheap, maybe you can trade something for what you're looking for.

Why not just try to score a elocker diff and you can run your other locker up front. No fab needed for the center section. Make sure you use ar500 plate for the bottom.

I also understand trying to build cheap, maybe you can trade something for what you're looking for.
I have the elocker in my sidekick. The best I could get one for is probably $800 and that’s out of my budget. also I’m trying to keep things simple, minimal electronics.
I’m probably only going to have oil pressure, voltage, and water temp gauge. I’ll have a light switch that’ll run a light bar I found on the freeway and a rear taillight. I’ll also have a switch for rock lights #instagram

Top Back Refresh