What's new

Buying a boat - sea doo or ?

Go to wherever you are planning to to use a boat and see what is popular. Where I live near the Chesapeake Bay pontoons and bass boats are not as popular because the water tends to be kind of rough. You can make it work but maybe not as easy as something else. Heavier cabin boats and fishing type boats are everywhere because they handle the chop around here better. Don't see a ton of jet boats around here and in the later part of the season anything with a jet sucks up grass in the shallow water and you have to climb under and pull it out. My wife wanted to get rid of our cabin boat and get a walk around. 22 Grady with a 200. It doesn't rock as bad at anchor since it's not as tall pulls a board or tube has a large deck space and it's easy to beach. We use it several times a week but I bought it old and used and have put a fair amount of work in it.

image_4312.jpg
Sold the Searay in the back to get the Grady closer to the camera. Great trade for me but gave up a real bathroom and fridge for better handling. Only slept in the cabin cruiser once. The guy I bought the Grady from was buying a cabin boat to take his grand kids out more. Lots of details to keep in mind.

I haven't owned a boat in years, but I'm looking now. Ill throw my two cents in. If you live on a lake, you should own a boat. It's great to walk out back to the dock and untie and go. If you have to trailer, your interest will dwindle over time. In approximately three years you will probably not use the boat. If you go in to it with this in mind, fine. Of course if you have a good, free, place to store the boat/trailer, it's not too bad.

Right now, I'm looking for a big boat (30+) My wife wants AC and a toilet. The plan is to dock it at a marina or "deeded" slip that I buy. The ocean is about an hour drive and we hope to use it as a apartment/guest house in addition to boating. I'm not sure how good this will work. I have no illusions about taking it out every weekend. I know up front that won't be happening.

I guess my best advice is buy used. There are lots of good boats out there for cheap right now. Even then, you have to know you will lose money. Basically, you are paying for a hobby. (What else is new)

Jet boats will burn substantially more fuel than a comparably sized prop powered boat and their engine lifespan seems to be much shorter, which is why they depreciate faster. ( the throttle is generally used like a light switch- wide open or idle) Additionally as a new boater, they are more difficult to handle because they require throttle/ propulsion to maneuver around docks.

if you're up north, winterization/ cold weather durability doesn't get much simpler/better than an outboard.

but for my money an older, well cared for inboard outboard (stern drive) bow rider boat with either the mercruiser 3.0 4 cyl or 4.3 v6 is a great way to hit the lake for under $5k and figure out what you like. It's like working on a car engine with generally better access to everything and winterization is really just remembering to drain the engine block via a thumbscrew pet ok/valve. And like many have said you'll sell it for about what you paid after a season or two.

I haven't owned a boat in years, but I'm looking now. Ill throw my two cents in. If you live on a lake, you should own a boat. It's great to walk out back to the dock and untie and go. If you have to trailer, your interest will dwindle over time. In approximately three years you will probably not use the boat. If you go in to it with this in mind, fine. Of course if you have a good, free, place to store the boat/trailer, it's not too bad.

Right now, I'm looking for a big boat (30+) My wife wants AC and a toilet. The plan is to dock it at a marina or "deeded" slip that I buy. The ocean is about an hour drive and we hope to use it as a apartment/guest house in addition to boating. I'm not sure how good this will work. I have no illusions about taking it out every weekend. I know up front that won't be happening.

I guess my best advice is buy used. There are lots of good boats out there for cheap right now. Even then, you have to know you will lose money. Basically, you are paying for a hobby. (What else is new)

I have to disagree, we trailer the green machine almost exclusively even though I've got a few places I could leave it in. It's definitely at the upper range of trailerable boats but my wife and I have ramping down to a 2 min drill after 8 years. It's just handier to be able to take it wherever we want based on the wind/waves forecast in the morning, as well as having it home to unload fish, replenish the fridge/provisions, etc.
I would think being restricted to starting out from the same port all the time would get boring.

Sold the Searay in the back to get the Grady closer to the camera. Great trade for me but gave up a real bathroom and fridge for better handling. Only slept in the cabin cruiser once. The guy I bought the Grady from was buying a cabin boat to take his grand kids out more. Lots of details to keep in mind.

Our boats are just about twins. What year is your 226?

I have to disagree, we trailer the green machine almost exclusively even though I've got a few places I could leave it in. It's definitely at the upper range of trailerable boats but my wife and I have ramping down to a 2 min drill after 8 years. It's just handier to be able to take it wherever we want based on the wind/waves forecast in the morning, as well as having it home to unload fish, replenish the fridge/provisions, etc.
I would think being restricted to starting out from the same port all the time would get boring.

You sound like a "big time" fisherman or maybe just a very dedicated boater. In your case, I agree, it's differnt. I stand by my statement for most people.

I have been day dreaming over doing the same time. So far it seems a Fountain express 38 is about the perfect combination in space, speed and fuel economy.

You can get them in both big block V8, and cummins diesel options. Not sure what you have been looking at.

1993. Just put new decals on it so it looks like it came from this century up close now :lmao:

That's funny, mines a 93 as well. I have new the new style raised decals for it, but wanted to get it in the water before the spring coho season was over so I held off on my wet sand and buff until the fall. Considering practically the same boat is still in production, it's an easy upgrade.

Thread hijack off.

Some of ya'll really didnt need a boat in the first place! We use the shit out of ours, but we fish a lot and do tournaments. It stores in our garage. Fuel is expensive, maintenance isnt too bad, fun factor is definitely there! We tow it everywhere we fish. We also have one of those slide in camper thingies everyone says is a huge waste of money.:homer:
20190609_054714.jpg

image_4448.jpg

20190609_054714.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20190619_190443_308_1561422961510.jpg

I'll say the most relaxing moment is just chilling out on the water with a beer and a rod. It makes looking at it in your yard all worth while.

I'll say the most relaxing moment is just chilling out on the water with a beer and a rod. It makes looking at it in your yard all worth while.

I had a center console for a couple years out on the gulf (Tampa Bay Area) and loved it. I did a lot of fishing and some cruising. That is what I will always have. Center console, self bailing, preferably twin engine but could definitely live with one, 22-25’ range I believe with a deck front and rear to fish off of (and ladies can sun off of). I think those are by far my favorite memories.

Didn’t read all the replies. We bought a 89 crestliner several years ago for $5000.00 The guy that had it had garage stored it it’s whole life. Mint condition. I wasn’t happy with the pos 305 that was in it so I dropped a crate L33 in it. Scoots along pretty good now. Since our kids are grown now we use it for fishing mostly. It’s a 20 foot open bow. It rides nice and is a good all around boat. My nephew had a speedster years ago. No doubt about it, they haul ass! With that said, when your done hauling ass they are pretty worthless for anything else in my opinion. I’d get something more all around that will seat more people. Just be really picky when shopping! I drove 5 hours from home to get the right one. I test drove a lot of junk too. Educate yourself on what you’re looking for and it will pay off with way less headaches. My 2cents:grinpimp:

End of hijack for me too I went with the old style decals so the ghosts underneath would line up better. Talking about OP this reminds me that if I had to trailer my boat to use every time I would sell it today. I live 12 miles from the water but the ramp would add probably over an hour with loading and strapping and stuff.

photo4529.jpg

Pics from last weekend on my shit box.

Pfft, set inside and watch TV all day then.

I picked up an ugly 22' fiberglass cabin cruiser with a 302 mercruiser for free of CL in 2011 and have been using it as much as possible ever since, even now that I've got two kids we still have it on the water every chance we get. I ended up rebuilding the transom last year so only got out 3 times because the transom took me almost the whole summer. We probably average getting out once every week and a half during the boating season up here. I think we've put about 300 engine hours on it since I drug it home. We do a lot of big lake fishing (trolling and bobbing) with it, we usually sleep on it at least once a year, take it for recreational dinner cruises down the canal. It works great for us and even factoring in doing the transom last year, it has been a stellar return on investment. I'm not saying this is the right boat for everyone, it certainly doesn't have enough power to ski behind (yet), goes about 35mph at full chooch. My point is that you shouldn't avoid having a boat because you think you have to spend a lot of money on one just to get on the water. Get something cheap and see how much you use it and figure out what you want.

I've probably put $3000 in fishing equipment into it (new chartplotter, riggers, rods, etc.) and I spent $2000 in materials and ~80 hours doing the transom.
Having a place to store it out of the weather is important. I built a drive through pole barn for it a couple years ago which has been awesome, just pull through when you get home and it's out of the weather. I think I had around $2500 and a couple months of working in the evenings building that.

You can't rent a boat like mine around here, but even if I could I probably never would just because I hate renting. We can leave all our stuff on board, pull it into the barn, and it's ready to hook up and go straight to the ramp next weekend. It's not worth enough $$$ to be spendy to insure, I have a $12/month policy for the 5 months of boating season from progressive and it's surprisingly well covered. 3 years of registration is $115. Gas is the only other cost, but if your biggest cost on a recreational vehicle is gas, you're doing awesome. Mine probably get's 3-4mpg cruising at 25mph which doesn't really add up to all that much $ in fuel, most of our trips are under 20 miles on plane per day. We probably burn 15 gallons of premium in the boat and 10 gallons in the truck getting there on the average day fishing. You really have to look at it in smiles per gallon.

On second thought, yea owning a boat may not make much sense :D

How da phuc you get anything about sitting inside watching TV out of what I said.?

Boating is great fun, never said it wasn’t.
May you misunderstood, or just didn’t “get” my point?

How da phuc you get anything about sitting inside watching TV out of what I said.?

Boating is great fun, never said it wasn’t.
May you misunderstood, or just didn’t “get” my point?

You lead off with the "two best days of boat..." phrase which is way up there on my list of worn out phrases and made it sound like owning a boat is much more trouble and expense than it's worth.

Then towards the end of my post I realized how much time and money I've got wrapped up in a free boat and now I am not as sure that you're wrong.

Fuck a boat. Unless you are a serious fisherman or have a cabin or lake house it's not financially worth it.

You're gonna spend at least $1,000/yr just fixing odds and ends. Add up TCO and divide by the number of uses per season and you'll find you're spending hundreds per day on the water.

They're fun, but unless you use it all the time it'll become an all around burdon (storage, maintenance, etc); hence the comment above about the "2 best days"...

You lead off with the "two best days of boat..." phrase which is way up there on my list of worn out phrases and made it sound like owning a boat is much more trouble and expense than it's worth.

Then towards the end of my post I realized how much time and money I've got wrapped up in a free boat and now I am not as sure that you're wrong.

Let them believe that. Less people at the launch...

fair enough.
my opinion is absolutely an informed one.
It’s based on personal experience, I promise I’m not simply spewing BS.

We love living on the lake, and we absolutely enjoy “boating” of all kinds.
I just can’t justify the cost of “boat ownership” when there are sensible options out there.
My situation doesn’t apply to everyone, and I was only offering a view the the OP may not have considered.

Fuck a boat. Unless you are a serious fisherman or have a cabin or lake house it's not financially worth it.

You're gonna spend at least $1,000/yr just fixing odds and ends. Add up TCO and divide by the number of uses per season and you'll find you're spending hundreds per day on the water.

They're fun, but unless you use it all the time it'll become an all around burdon (storage, maintenance, etc); hence the comment above about the "2 best days"...

I've had boats that I've fished 2-3 days/nights a week and didn't spend your numbers including bait and fuel. A boat is what you make of it. You don't have to spend a fortune unless you start off with a junk money pit to start with.

I've also NEVER had a boat payment and have owned about 3 dozen boats over the Years.I still have my 1st boat I bought at 16. It has 1,000's of hours on it and still is all original and has never leaked a drop. Had more fun on that boat than money could buy :grinpimp:

I've had boats that I've fished 2-3 days/nights a week and didn't spend your numbers including bait and fuel. A boat is what you make of it. You don't have to spend a fortune unless you start off with a junk money pit to start with.

I've also NEVER had a boat payment and have owned about 3 dozen boats over the Years.I still have my 1st boat I bought at 16. It has 1,000's of hours on it and still is all original and has never leaked a drop. Had more fun on that boat than money could buy :grinpimp:

Any boat you recommend for frequent fishing? We are usually out a couple nights a week and most weekends.

Top Back Refresh