What's new

Buy once cry once volt meter?

2big bronco

Og irate
Member Number
Loc
Prunedale ca
Ok so I rarely need a volt meter and when I do im digging through my hf ones trying to find one that still works.... then im questioning its accuracy. Last I used one I got bit by 110 after it showed no power.

I also recently needed to test copacitance and realized I didnt have the ability.

So what non overly complicated voltage meter do I want that includes capacitance. Hopefully something that if taken care of will last at least 20+ years.

I had the same issues with cheap multimeters.

I got the cheapest klein that includes a clamp for measuring AC/DC Current which is very useful for diagnosis.

Something like this:
71r1Y20w7VL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

The problem is handing it to someone who is used to cheezy voltmeters and they just look confused.

I had a fluke for seven years, No clue where it is now. None of my needs are fluke worthy anyway so when I lose a $10 meter I’m not upset.

Ok so I rarely need a volt meter and when I do im digging through my hf ones trying to find one that still works.... then im questioning its accuracy. Last I used one I got bit by 110 after it showed no power.

I also recently needed to test copacitance and realized I didnt have the ability.

So what non overly complicated voltage meter do I want that includes capacitance. Hopefully something that if taken care of will last at least 20+ years.
Step 1: Test known source of voltage.
Step 2: Perform critical voltage test (the one you're trusting your life to).
Step 3: Test known source of voltage again (to reduce the chance that the meter failed after step 1, but before step 2).
Step 4: Profit.:grinpimp:

Even "Flukes" will fuck up, especially when your beat to shit leads break. By the way, test your leads by gently tugging them, if they're stretchy they're broken. Copper don't stretch. Pay attention around the ends.

Last edited:
I had the same issues with cheap multimeters.

I got the cheapest klein that includes a clamp for measuring AC/DC Current which is very useful for diagnosis.

Something like this:
71r1Y20w7VL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

The problem is handing it to someone who is used to cheezy voltmeters and they just look confused.
You can buy that same one under the Kaiweets brand on Amazon. I’ve had great luck with both of mine, but I’m a casual user.

Buy once cry once - Fluke. Have several at home/work and have had no issues.

Fluke

The Uni-t meters are pretty decent among the lesser stuff.

The good Fluke meters are where it's at.

I've had my 88 for 17 years of abuse. Industrial quality.

I have a few crappy meters but always go back to the fluke 87v meter. Used ones can be purchased for about 125 on ebay.

Power probe is pretty nice alternative for 12v stuff. I have a mega fancy one at work and I don't really see a between it and the cheaper craftsmen one I have at home.

12v at all get a power probe.
I use a power probe multimeter also, but almost always the probe

12v at all get a power probe.
I use a power probe multimeter also, but almost always the probe

Power probe is pretty nice alternative for 12v stuff. I have a mega fancy one at work and I don't really see a between it and the cheaper craftsmen one I have at home.

Well I dont even know what a power probe is so I guess Ive got some research to do. I should have specified 99% of the time ill be using it for 12v stuff

Power probes are nice for some things, not really a replacement for a meter in my experience but I only have experience with the Power Probe 3.

I have a Fluke 115 at work, does everything I need a meter to do for automotive work.

the kid was building a tool box
she would follow me out the Harbor Freight door with her free tool coupon and ended up with three or so voltmeter things
I think I have done more trouble shooting with those than I have my good ones just because it was laying there and available

the kid was building a tool box
she would follow me out the Harbor Freight door with her free tool coupon and ended up with three or so voltmeter things
I think I have done more trouble shooting with those than I have my good ones just because it was laying there and available
Yup. I’ve also measured more shit with the formerly free HF tape than anything other measuring tool.

I have a Klein clamp on/multi-meter that is my every day use meter. I also have a Fluke 179 that stays in the case unless I need the big boy meter for something.

Yep! Or you can buy the same one for half price.

KAIWEETS HT206D Digital Clamp Meter T-RMS 6000 Counts, Multimeter Voltage Tester Auto-ranging, Measures Current Voltage Temperature Capacitance Resistance Diodes Continuity Duty-Cycle (AC/DC Current) Amazon.com

Also, since you talked about getting bit by AC in the OP, a non contact voltage tester can be a lot less awkward when you are just trying to see if a circuit is live or not.

71qUOS32CEL._SL1500_.jpg
Yeah, I actually have one of those in my tool belt for work. I got zapped working on the ac of my travel trailer while camping.

I tried one of the "higher end" ~$100 Klein meters, and it was effectively a cheap $40 meter with a few more features. Still cheap build quality. And it failed within a day.

Then I dropped $240 on a Fluke 117 and never looked back.

Buy a Fluke.

I tried one of the "higher end" ~$100 Klein meters, and it was effectively a cheap $40 meter with a few more features. Still cheap build quality. And it failed within a day.

Then I dropped $240 on a Fluke 117 and never looked back.

Buy a Fluke.
Well thanks :flipoff2: 30 seconds after I ordered my klein and hard case.

Well thanks :flipoff2: 30 seconds after I ordered my klein and hard case.

Maybe it'll work well for you.

I probably didn't need to buy a Fluke, but I was in a "fuck it" kind of mood and needed to get something quickly. Fluke officially sells on Amazon with good prices. They have some very basic meters under $100, a few $100-200, and then the 114/115/116/117 are $200-240. That's what I would consider the "buy once cry once" meter for guys like us. Then of course there are more expensive meters with more features but very few hobbyists need them.

Top Back Refresh