2x10
ICF joist
7/16 osb
5/8 osb
3/4 t&g osb
1/2 cdx
5/8 cdx
3/4 cdc

I'm building half a house this year and about shit my pants when I got the lumber package bid.
I'm considering buying in an area where construction has tanked and having it trucked if it's a good savings.

I don't have all these prices handy. During the pandemic over this summer, we built the majority of an extravagant coop for guinea hens. The price was double of what I estimated going off of general prices I knew when I was in construction.

We've been decking our attic with ¾" ply. We started before the pandemic and I want to say we were paying $34 a sheet. Now we're paying $48 per sheet.

Working in the engineered truss industry, I can say that the cost of materials has skyrocketed over the last year. What used to cost $10, now costs closer to $25. Supply is limited, demand is through the roof. Interest rates are low, so everybody is building. You would have to potentially drive a phenomenal distance to save anything significant. You will likely not see any big savings by traveling across the state line. OSB used to be 9 per sheet, and is now 34. Gyp is taking a 20% jump in March. Windows, steel, sheet goods, and rock are all at historic prices. It’s rediculous. I’ve recently landed a property for a new house build, but have zero desire to build this year. I’ll wait for the market to stabilize.

Last edited:
Two weeks ago 7/16" OSB was $30 a sheet. I was beyond surprised.

I bought 100 sheets a couple years ago of this for $7.xx a sheet Went to buy 2 sheets of 1/2" the other day and $35 each a home depot. Rediculous. My shop would've cost $2500 or so more just for the wall sheeting.

I went to Menards today to pick up a special order garage door. I’ve never seen so much treated wood at one place at one time. There had to be at least 12 semi loads of treated wood stacked in the back lot. It was 3-4 pallet stacks high and at least 100 yards long.

Tell me again about the shortage driving prices.....

I work in wholesale building materials.

Some of our manufactures/mills are behind on certain products, but for the most part, our suppliers are hiring more employees, working extra shifts to keep going 24/7, and simply cannot keep up with demand. They are not underperforming, but putting out more now than they have in the last couple decades. The demand is just outrageous the last 18 months or so.

My location is taking 8-10 inbound trucks for the yard, and 3-4 for the warehouse everyday, plus 5-6 rail cars. And then turning around and shipping it all out the next day. And that doesn’t count the 40% or so of our business that bypasses our yard, and is delivered straight to the customer.

We set sales records (not just $, but volume as well) 11 out of 12 months last year (the month we didn’t was Jan, before the covid panic hit), and have broken those records again this year.

Mills and other manufacturers are producing, but people are buying more now than in years past. It’s crazy...........but did make for a nice yearly bonus.

I work in wholesale building materials.

Some of our manufactures/mills are behind on certain products, but for the most part, our suppliers are hiring more employees, working extra shifts to keep going 24/7, and simply cannot keep up with demand. They are not underperforming, but putting out more now than they have in the last couple decades. The demand is just outrageous the last 18 months or so.

My location is taking 8-10 inbound trucks for the yard, and 3-4 for the warehouse everyday, plus 5-6 rail cars. And then turning around and shipping it all out the next day. And that doesn’t count the 40% or so of our business that bypasses our yard, and is delivered straight to the customer.

We set sales records (not just $, but volume as well) 11 out of 12 months last year (the month we didn’t was Jan, before the covid panic hit), and have broken those records again this year.

Mills and other manufacturers are producing, but people are buying more now than in years past. It’s crazy...........but did make for a nice yearly bonus.

youre such a liar i saw a big old huge pile of wood in the back of menards theres no shortage

:flipoff2:

Around here, a sheet of 4 x 10 / T-111 runs $95 a sheet.....

2 x 4 x 8' studs are $9 something....

:eek:

with the rising prices of houses in Central Tx, along with other kinds of factories going up etc.... this makes sense.. I think.. :)

assuming its like this in the rest of the country,,

I think they are preparing for the min wage to go up..

I wonder if the prices on timber framing went up. they don’t use as much of the common building materials unless you want pine trusses and beams

Prices are high enough here that I went with an all steel building rather than stick frame. I am waiting on a price drop before doing the interior walls and may have to bring in metal or sheet rock to do the ceiling.

$7.50 for a 2x4x8 untreated.:eek:

I think it was my 2x4x10s that were something like $15 each.

Not totally familiar with this market, but does it ever crash and prices drop really low when the supply is still high and demand comes to a crashing halt?

That dude that suggested someone buy a sawmill to build a chicken coop is looking smarter every day. :flipoff2:

2x4x8s were $5.30 here a couple weeks ago.

I make a point to jot down the prices when I goto Lowes now. Never saw that side of the store so empty. I guess I was the only one stupid enough to buy Lumber for my raised garden beds... My thoughts are that the prices will skyrocket this spring as people get outside and start on projects

2/1/21
2x4x8 6.28
Treated 9.57
2x8x8 18.77
2x8x10 (treated) 26.57

2/27/21
2×4×8 6.46
Treated 9.87
2x8x8 18.77
2x8x10 26.57

I went to Menards today to pick up a special order garage door. I’ve never seen so much treated wood at one place at one time. There had to be at least 12 semi loads of treated wood stacked in the back lot. It was 3-4 pallet stacks high and at least 100 yards long.

Tell me again about the shortage driving prices.....

I think the recent surplus is because they jacked the prices too high. They are coming down a little. Was a few month ago stores like Ace or Arrow were $12-15 a 2x4. Now they are around $9-12. Also when I sew lumber drivers, waiting for our special orders to arrive so we couls build something, I would ask them what was going on. Basically the answer I got was everybody is using covid to raise prices. Funny as soon as everybody had agreed on raising prices the D.C. suddenly had enough treated wood to fill every fucking box store and mom and pop shop to the ceiling but he week before all store were getting quoted 3-4 weeks for anything treated in quantity, small quantity at that 20-30 boards. It was more people taking advantage of covid and then the non arson related arson Wildfires.

2x4x8ft PT is $12.13Ea
6x6x12ft PT is $66.55ea

Maybe I won’t be building a pergola this summer

Prices are going up and will stay up for a few reasons:

#1 homebuilders are going balls to the wall in every market. They can't keep up with demand. Blame this on covid and covid relief funds pumping up house sales.

#2 home renovations due to people working from home and having more disposable cash.

#3 people working on projects since they're home all the time.

That, and houses are getting bigger. Starter homes used to be 1200 sq ft, now they're 2000 or bigger. Couple that with the fact that land prices have gone up, and interest rates are historically cheap, big house on small lot is what you get.

And it's not just lumber, copper piping, electrical components, composite roofing, rebar, PVC and CPVC, even concrete is up.

Last edited:
I think it was my 2x4x10s that were something like $15 each.

Not totally familiar with this market, but does it ever crash and prices drop really low when the supply is still high and demand comes to a crashing halt?

It sure does. It even gets to the point of sawmills shutting down rather than selling at a loss. Before this all happened the industry was in a big slump I saw sawmills shut down parentally and others go down for a few months. At the time I was buying 2x4 8' for around $1.70 and 1/2" exterior plywood for $19.

It will swing the other way but not until this bullshit is over, probably 2 years min is my best guess.

Top Back Refresh