What's new

Building a 1st Gen Sequoia for light duty wheeling

I'm in to see the build man. You don't see these done very often but they can be had cheaper than tacoma or tundra in my area. I loved my 06 tundra double cab but I needed cash at the time and they were bringing good money so it left, ended up making my money back after 1yr of having it so cant really complain.

Round one is done. Lift and sliders are installed. Waiting on gears and a locker. Also got my order in for a front winch bumper from Brute Force Fab

IMG_1627.jpeg

Last edited:
Got my rig back today. 3" lift and 33's. 4.88 gears and a rear ARB locker. Fully welded rock sliders. I have my Warn Evo winch...just waiting on the Brute Force bumper. Will be taking it out into the desert tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_2055.jpeg
    IMG_2055.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2057.jpeg
    IMG_2057.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 707
Hope the trip went well for ya! I wish these (and the 1st gen tundra) got more support earlier on. I think they just shot themselves in the foot with the not quite fullsize dimensions at the time. Now they are almost the norm for midsize when compared to new Tacoma\ Ranger\ Frontier etc.

First trip out didnt go well. First thing was it wandered bad on the highway. Kinda sucked to drive. Put it in 4WD to climb the steep hill to get my favorite spot to chill at Table Mesa at night. Had nasty grinding/clicking/banging from the front end and the Yukon compressor powering my air locker wouldn't shut off....just ran and ran and never locked in the rear end.

I took it to my trusted Toyota mechanic (Cary @ Got Propane). $3800 later I had new CV axles, steering rack, rear controls arms and some general maintenance done. Also found the Yukon compressor was a dud. Wouldn't build enough pressure to shut off. Got it swapped out and went back out there last Saturday night.

Trip went great. The rig rides great on the dirt roads, and climbed the steep rutted out hill with ease. Made it to the top around 9pm and chilled in my camp chair until midnight enjoying the view. It was a super hot day but cooled off nicely out there. Was 76* when I rolled home. The 4.88 gears made the descent down the hill super nice. 4LO first gear is super great. I was definetly in my happy place. I do miss my 2JZ crawler but my back wont let me do the hardcore trails anymore. This will have to do.

I cant wait to spend some more time in the desert with it, and head for the mountains for some camping. I removed the second and third row seats so I have enough room for my mattress and all my camping gear inside, with a nice comfortable place to sleep at night off the ground.

I have a Warn Evo winch for the front, just waiting on my Brute Force Fab front bumper.

Oh and I ditched both sway bars. Its pretty damn stable on road, and rides so much better off-road.

Attachments

• IMG_2112.jpeg
    IMG_2112.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 641
  • IMG_2323.jpeg
    IMG_2323.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2331.jpeg
    IMG_2331.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2321.jpeg
    IMG_2321.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
How do you like the tires? I'm leaning towards them for my wife's 4 runner.

How do you like the tires? I'm leaning towards them for my wife's 4 runner.
They are great. Very quiet onroad. Seem to stick good off-road at 15 psi. I took it out this Sunday north of Phoenix. Sand, rocks and bumpy roads. They worked really good.

They are great. Very quiet onroad. Seem to stick good off-road at 15 psi. I took it out this Sunday north of Phoenix. Sand, rocks and bumpy roads. They worked really good.
Thanks for the info. The road noise was what I was worried about, since it's her mom wagon. Did you get your front bumper on yet?

They really are great tires. I really have almost no road noise at all.

No bumper yet. Its been 10 weeks since I ordered it. He told me he was 16 weeks out. Looking forward to seeing if it softens up the front suspension a bit. Its a little stiff. I had the coilovers set up for the weight of the bumper and winch on the front.

I also having a little problem with it wandering on the highway. Since having the lift installed, I took to my buddies shop. Had a new steering rack and new rear control arms installed. It was pretty tight after that, and drove nice. Last weekend I took it up Turkey Creek north of Phoenix. Its nothing hard...theres some rocks, sand and bumpy dirt roads. On the way home the steering wheel is now off center, and its back to wandering a bit again. Not sure whats up. I'm gonna wait til the bumper shows up, then have it realigned again with a little more caster added probably.

Attachments

• IMG_2429.jpeg
    IMG_2429.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2431.jpeg
    IMG_2431.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 92
Good to know on the tires. I believe the bumper weight will do what you are thinking for springs and ride. As far as your steering goes. Something that happened to me with ifs tacoma stuff years ago was, the metal bracket that the rack bolts too starts to fatigue and flex when you steer or while the rack is trying to hold it self straight. Ended up cutting it off and building my own bracket out of 1/4 something worth looking at. Not sure if they are designed the same but I'd imagine they are not too much different.

Reactions: 2JZ
If you’re still working on this, check out Camburg for control arms to fix your caster issues.

Reactions: 2JZ
I am diginin this! my wife has a 2005 black sequoia for family hauler and i have been wanting to get some 285's and a winch bumper for it to help make it a little more capable. they do really ride like Cadillacs offroad.

Very nice. I recently bought an 03 sequoia 4x4 and it's awesome. I did bilstein ride height front shocks set at 2.5" lift, Light Racing/SPC Upper Control Arms, Rear 1" coil spacer and rear bilstein shocks. Rides great and took it out over thanksgiving and it handled mild desert access roads like a champ. I will be building it in the future, but these motors and such run awesome. Just make sure the timing belt gets done before 90K miles is all I've ever heard go wrong with the 4.7's

Finally got my Brute Force bumper, Warn Evo winch, and Rigid lights installed. Looks so much better now. Gonna get in a Little Rock therapy this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0709.jpeg
    IMG_0709.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0721.jpeg
    IMG_0721.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0720.jpeg
    IMG_0720.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0714.jpeg
    IMG_0714.jpeg