What's new

Building a 1st Gen Sequoia for light duty wheeling

2JZ

Member Number
Click image for larger version Name:	sequoia.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.4 KB ID:	343146

I'm about to pull the trigger on this 2001 Sequoia. It has a shitload of miles, but runs strong. Price is 5k or less. I will have a few thousand bucks at most to build it up for mild AZ wheeling/exploring/camping. Looking to add front and rear bumpers, a winch, and rock sliders. A bit of googling doesnt come up with much. I have a local shop than can probably build the bumpers and sliders, but that wont be all that cheap for custom built stuff.

Any recommendations for the above mentioned stuff? The winch doesnt need to be a Warn with that Ive always ran on my previous rigs. Just something I know can pull me out of a bad spot if I need it. I spend a lot of time alone in the desert. Its gotta work when I need it.

Also looking for a good set of tires. Current tires are well worn 295/70r17 Maxxis RZR MT, but would consider dropping down one size. Mostly dirt roads, but may venture into the rocks a little.

Looking forward to getting back in the desert, after being out of the game for a few years.

Last edited:
There are a few 1st gen builds on Expedition Portal that would be worth looking at... That's where i'd start.

Reactions: 2JZ
A tundra front bumper should fit with minimal modification, the grille is shorter on the sequoia I believe.

I built a first gen tundra as a prerunner/ milder off-roader. The front end is the same. I suggest UCAs, coilovers, eurathane rack bushings, spindle support brackets, UCA support brackets. Ome rear coils. If you do t want to spend big money on front coilovers, the Bilstien adjustable coilovers are actually pretty good.

Tacoma diffs work in your axles so you can get cheap 4.56 gears from a 4 cylinder auto trans 1st gen taco. I run a truetrac in the rear.

I have a smittybuilt 9500 on my tundra. It has been used and still works well.

Last edited:
There’s more than you’d think available for the sequoia. Most tundra stuff fits for the most part unless it’s for the rear suspension. Lots of great mods can be done to overcome the traction control and you can mod the wiring so you can lock the transfer case diff in any gear instead of just 4low. I love my sequoia for hitting light trails and fire roads and snow.

IMG_1308.jpeg

Deal fell through on the 2001. Picked up this 2005 with 230k miles. Leather, heated seats moonroof etc. Looks like I'm starting from scratch.

I built a first gen tundra as a prerunner/ milder off-roader. The front end is the same. I suggest UCAs, coilovers, eurathane rack bushings, spindle support brackets, UCA support brackets. Ome rear coils. If you do t want to spend big money on front coilovers, the Bilstien adjustable coilovers are actually pretty good.

Tacoma diffs work in your axles so you can get cheap 4.56 gears from a 4 cylinder auto trans 1st gen taco. I run a truetrac in the rear.

I have a smittybuilt 9500 on my tundra. It has been used and still works well.

Link or source for suspension parts listed?

Yup the 05 has more power and a 5 speed transmission. But it probably has push button hi lo range instead of a lever. It’s kinda a toss up for me. But I agree starting a fresh build with something stock is better you won’t have to un bugger anything from the po as much.

Yup the 05 has more power and a 5 speed transmission. But it probably has push button hi lo range instead of a lever. It’s kinda a toss up for me. But I agree starting a fresh build with something stock is better you won’t have to un bugger anything from the po as much.

Iirc, lever tcase was only available in SR5 models. Limited all had push button.

had an 07 for a bit. Liked it a lot. But needed a pickup bed.

personally, don't see the appeal at all to starting with aftermarket bumpers that would need to be modified. easier to just cut your own plate and make the whole thing fit, and about half the price.

sequia's are dope, cut it up and rock out :smokin:

I figured out which parts to use to swap in a manual t case to my tundra. I would consider doing that to a sequoia. Probably FJ cruiser case would work.

personally, don't see the appeal at all to starting with aftermarket bumpers that would need to be modified. easier to just cut your own plate and make the whole thing fit, and about half the price.

It's definitely not easier if it just needs a few mods.

Reactions: DMG

It does have the push button 4x4. I would rather have a lever, but if it works, it works.

Letzroll off-road with be doing the sliders. They build their own JK bumpers in house. I imagine they can fab me up something sweet.

Ordered all my suspension parts from 1st Gen Off-road today. Adjustable coilovers and all the good stuff. Josh answered the phone and was super cool and knowledgable. Looking forward to getting it all.

My buddy has a high mileage 05 sequoia limited and wheels the shit out of it. The 05 has VVTi so the engine puts out more power than the 01 you were looking at. Hes on 35s, went with OME springs front + rear, built his own front winch bumper + rear bumper/tire carrier and sliders. I welded up his sway bar link extensions and not sure where he sourced the diff drop parts. We are going to build him some new lower links for the rear, they seem to bend pretty easily.

IIRC the T case is a 'center diff' it has an auto 4wd function that uses a clutch pack but 4hi and low are locked. I think the T case is the only thing that has not grenaded yet, he has gone through a couple front diffs and shredded r+p on the rear. The steering gear has held up but it does develop some slop - there is a way to adjust the slop out of it with a tool we made from a bolt head that just so happen to fit perfectly in there. But get those poly rack bushings for sure.

My buddy has a high mileage 05 sequoia limited and wheels the shit out of it. The 05 has VVTi so the engine puts out more power than the 01 you were looking at. Hes on 35s, went with OME springs front + rear, built his own front winch bumper + rear bumper/tire carrier and sliders. I welded up his sway bar link extensions and not sure where he sourced the diff drop parts. We are going to build him some new lower links for the rear, they seem to bend pretty easily.

IIRC the T case is a 'center diff' it has an auto 4wd function that uses a clutch pack but 4hi and low are locked. I think the T case is the only thing that has not grenaded yet, he has gone through a couple front diffs and shredded r+p on the rear. The steering gear has held up but it does develop some slop - there is a way to adjust the slop out of it with a tool we made from a bolt head that just so happen to fit perfectly in there. But get those poly rack bushings for sure.

Just ordered the poly rack bushings. I was thinking about ditching the rear sway bar altogether. Good or bad idea?

Check out Sal R’s thread on Expo. He may have one of the best/most detailed 1st gen builds on the interwebs

Just ordered the poly rack bushings. I was thinking about ditching the rear sway bar altogether. Good or bad idea?

Hes only running the front sway bar and it has a LOT of body roll. He drives it slow and its not a daily driver so its manageable. His wife, on the other hand drives it like her bmw and damn near flipped the thing and I thought I was going to fly out the window when she whipped the thing around a corner :eek: But im sure the loaded roof rack and all the extra gear we had in there didnt help that situation either

The other thing he did was the rear trac bar, i forget where he got it from, but there is a drop bracket. I cant remember for sure but I think it welded into the frame side mount to drop the trac bar down level.

IMG_1488.jpeg

IMG_1490.jpeg

gettin the party started...

He will get longer life if he swaps in full carrier lockers or Truetracs. Although the diffs are small for 35s anyway

Top Back Refresh