What's new

Buddy bought some property...

Fishnbeer

The dude abides
Member Number
Loc
CA
80 acres in central CA. Mostly undeveloped, has a yert-like structure and a covered carport, and a shipping container. It is near an area that is well known for deer and pig hunting. The surrounding properties are undeveloped land, and also used for hunting. He has a 300' well, solar panels, pump, etc.

He wants to plant some stuff to attract more pigs and deer. None of us in our group have really managed land like this. Figured we would pick up some bags of seed from tractor supply and have at it.

The property is rectangle shaped, 900 yards long. The south end has the road leading in and it is at the top of a ridge. Road leads down into the bottom of the valley and back up the other ridge where the yert is located. Figure the bottom of the valley is a good spot to plant, with the well beimg there and all..

Any tips on what/where/how to plant? Dead of winter is probably not best time to plant seeds but at least we can clear shit out and start planning

Depending on where in Central CA it is ya'll might be near me, all my rancher buddies plant barley to attract the deer and pigs. Plant in the bottom of the valley area/where it'll be easy hunting. My buddies are all currently seeding right now, well one today and another last weekend, hoping for a good rain again. Tractors make easy work of it.

Easiest way to attract pigs is have stuff you don’t want them to mess up. Corn feeders illegal in CA? They tend to love those.

Add natural water sources, +1 on specific forage plots, acorns to finish Mr. Piggie on as a plus

Easiest way to attract pigs is have stuff you don’t want them to mess up. Corn feeders illegal in CA? They tend to love those.
image_38589.jpg

i dont know how they do it in California but.....

in the fall plant Oats and Winter Peas. Deer love it, and pigs will root through anything thats been tilled and tear up anything that you like because its nice.

Top Back Refresh