What's new

Bronco Barn

Nice looking shop I was in the same boat when putting in my lift it’s pretty tight fit had to put two holes in my ceiling first time I ran the lift to bleed the cylinders it’s never gone that high again I probably should plug those holes up it’s been a few years. I really like how you finished out your walls I should have done something similar I just did plywood walls.

It took about 2 weeks but the concrete guys showed up.

I had a pretty good handle on what most of this stuff was going to cost. I was good until I got my quote for power. My brother and my dad both have shops on their own meter, fed off the transformer in their yard. Both of them paid around a grand to have it hooked up. My quote was $4,500😮

I made multiple calls and even went down to the co-op office but they wouldn't budge. I am at the end of the line and they said there wasn't enough power available to put in another 200a connection without upgrades. They were more than willing to hook it up for a $1,000 deposit and I could pay the rest off. They gave me a whole 6 months.🤬 I made the last payment yesterday.

During the power install I get a call that they cut my gas line. Of course they don't have anyone to fix it and it was going to be in the 30s that night and its my only source of heat. I managed to get a compression fitting and my dad knew someone that could install it. (they are super easy, but I didn't know that)

I finally got around to running wires and installing bookshelf studs for the insulation.

I had my first visitor. My neighbors goats got out and said hi.

Started putting up insulation. R19 batts. They were cheaper than rolls.

What type, obviously fiberglass bat, insulation did you use? I am just starting my garage build and have read fiberglass can mold due to the metal sides, especially when encapsulated. I live in lower NY and I have never seen a building do that but I do have some concerns.

What type, obviously fiberglass bat, insulation did you use? I am just starting my garage build and have read fiberglass can mold due to the metal sides, especially when encapsulated. I live in lower NY and I have never seen a building do that but I do have some concerns.

It's just white fiberglass batts. The walls are 8" thick and the insulation is 6" there is a couple inch gap between the siding and insulation.

Cabinet time.

cabinet2.jpg

Paint it black.
cabinet3.jpg

Orange to match my toolboxes

cabinet4.jpg

cabinet5.jpg

cabinet6.jpg

The corner cabinet will have a rack for some small parts organizers.

Got a lot done over Christmas but it doesn't really look like it.

I finally got the ceiling insulated and it has made a huge difference both in sound and temp control. Before, on a cold day it was usually around 40-45 degrees in the shop when I first opened it up. Now its around 55. It doesn't really get that cold here compared to most of the country, but its been at or near freezing at night. When it rained before insulation it was a constant roar that drowned out everything. Now I can hear music no problem, even in a downpour.

My toolboxes came in, and I got all the metal to build a workbench around them. It will have a 1/4" top. My in-laws bought me the signs for Christmas. The pink marble table is a crafting table I made for my wife.

cabinet7.jpg

I hung up my Christmas presents from my wife.

reels.jpg

Here is the start of the workbench frame.

WB1.jpg

I also got a compressor, so I ordered some hockey pucks and made feet for it. As silly as it sounds this was the first time I have ever seen a real hockey puck. 🤣

feet.jpg

And I got the compressor wired up. I will run hard lines later, but at least I can run my plasma now.

comp.jpg

Hopefully I'll have the workbench mostly done this weekend.

You are gonna wish you located that compressor outside.

I may eventually. I want to put a pad in front of the shop and extend the roof over it. I can just put it on the other side of the wall then without having to run new wire or lines. I am probably going to put the intake through the wall so that should quiet it down a lot.

This makes a huge difference. Nice work on the shop:smokin:

Shop is turning out awesome :smokin::grinpimp:

Thanks, I've been planning this thing since I was a teenager.

Who did you buy your lift from? A buddy is shopping for one right now

https://www.apluslift.com/

They have a warehouse in Dallas. If you call them and tell them you are picking it up they will give you a code for $200 off.

Bring the tallest and flattest trailer you have. They don't have a ramp only loading docks. Putting them on our car hauler was a bit scary. I'm not sure what we would have done if we didn't have the winch to drag them to the front of the trailer.

So far no complaints. My brother has a 60 parkwood wagon that's a bit sketchy to lift. It's got a really narrow frame and the arms have to be extended all the way out to grab it. It seems to handle the weight of that big boat fine, just looks scary.

Still working on the workbench, but yesterday we got snow. No big deal for some of you guys but its a once a decade occurrence here.

snow.jpg

I did get a chance to see how well it held heat. It was right around freezing outside and about 50 inside. I fired up the 55k btu jet heater and it was up to about 60 in 30 minutes. It took about 2 hours before it was back at 50 again. I think that's more than acceptable.

killer shop, its really similar to what I would like to build. like you said though, everything is stupid expensive right now so im trying to drag my feet and save up some more cash before I pull the trigger. I really like the workbench/tool box idea. I have one of those HF boxes that is stuffed to the gills and I would like to pick up another one but I also work out of a normal 2 car garage and I dont have the space for it. keep the updated coming on the progress.

Still building the workbench, but its finally starting to look like something.

wb2.jpg

WB3.jpg

If I were to do this again, I would make the horizontal pieces all one piece. It was a bear to get everything straight.

wb4.jpg

Added the top, back splash, and some drip rail. Cutting angle iron like that on a cheap chop saw is no fun at all.

wb5.jpg

Added angle iron for the toolboxes to slide on.

wb6.jpg

more drip rail

wb7.jpg

Lots of welding and grinding done, still lots to go. I am not sure what I want to do with the corners, but I know I don't want a sharp edge there.

wb8.jpg

Drip rail for catching gear oil / atf of all the transmissions you build? 😛😛

Jk, looks good man.

I'm pretty much tired of welding and grinding.

WB9.jpg

This is what I came up with for the corners. 2" long piece of drill stem. This will keep me from accidentally committing ritual seppuku and I'll turn it into a sump with a drain for any oil.

WB10.jpg

I've reached the lot of work, for not much progress phase.

I'm pretty much tired of welding and grinding.

This is what I came up with for the corners. 2" long piece of drill stem. This will keep me from accidentally committing ritual seppuku and I'll turn it into a sump with a drain for any oil.

I've reached the lot of work, for not much progress phase.

Needs downspouts. :flipoff2:

I love the "drain"
I think I'll do the same, but find a ball or rubber plug to put in it for Jesus clips and such

I'm looking at the same lift, but not trusting the China documents, do you mind getting a measurement to the highest point?

I love the "drain"
I think I'll do the same, but find a ball or rubber plug to put in it for Jesus clips and such

I'll put a bottom in it with a threaded nipple eventually. I'm a master at 95% completing a project, then moving on to something else.

I love the "drain"

Are you talking to the very top of the lift by the ceiling, or how high the arms will lift? I'm 5'10" and can walk under a car while it's on the lift easily.

Are you talking to the very top of the lift by the ceiling, or how high the arms will lift? I'm 5'10" and can walk under a car while it's on the lift easily.

That's helpful, but what I'm really after is the highest point of the lift so I can work up a plan for a carport build, with provisions to enclose later of course

Nice workbench. Quad HF44s, damn you. I have similar 2 box bench and had a shop with a 400T press to bend all the edges on the top. I used 1/8" cold roll over 1.5" MDF. You have upped the game with the drains. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh